The beach walkway?

thaibeachlovers

to be fair I dont think the workmanship was the problem, the problem is that whoever designed it decided, I guess to cut costs, to reuse the old seawall, even though it was already undermined and falling into the sea in places, and also they had obviously never seen it during a flood so didnt plan for that. but I guess friends of the family or something

to be fair I dont think the workmanship was the problem, the problem is that whoever designed it decided, I guess to cut costs, to reuse the old seawall, even though it was already undermined and falling into the sea in places, and also they had obviously never seen it during a flood so didnt plan for that. but I guess friends of the family or something

I would disagree as to the cause of the current destruction, though you are correct about cutting costs and not making a proper seawall.

IMO the collapse has been caused because they did not install proper drainage at the bottom of the sois, and the water has washed away the beach. That in turn allowed the sea to undermine the sea wall, causing the collapse.

Because it wasn't a problem prior to the new walkway, I stand by my claim that they destroyed or blocked the existing drainage, without replacing it with a better. I know exactly how large the old pipes were, as I saw them installed, and they were certainly large enough to carry as much rainwater as could be expected.

Even though the sea wall was derelict prior to the new walkway, there was sufficient beach to protect it from the sea, PLUS, the old growth trees have been cut down, removing their root systems, which used to stabilise the subsurface.

The entire Beach Rd is built on reclaimed land, and that has obviously not been taken into account.

Those photos don't show how far the destruction has gone, but it just occurred to me that because of the incompetence of the designers/ planners, one or several poor Thais will now be made penniless because they can't carry on with their business on the beach. Don't hold your breath on them being compensated either.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos- brilliant.

Hard to believe somebody got well paid to turn the beach road into that. And will continue to get paid to patch up for the next 20 years.

Thats because all they are doing now in the Soi 1 collapsed area above and all the other areas is just dumping in sand and putting walk blocks on top. So whether its flood water in rain season going down from the top or undermining currents in dry season in both cases there is no seawall protection and the substrate is washed out and walk collapses. Now its not just the walkway: The wood

railings in front of Mikes Shopping Mall are breaking. Also there has been an increase in local lowlife males hanging around the walkway/beach.

Thanks for the photos- brilliant.

Hard to believe somebody got well paid to turn the beach road into that. And will continue to get paid to patch up for the next 20 years.

Thats because all they are doing now in the Soi 1 collapsed area above and all the other areas is just dumping in sand and putting walk blocks on top. So whether its flood water in rain season going down from the top or undermining currents in dry season in both cases there is no seawall protection and the substrate is washed out and walk collapses. Now its not just the walkway: The wood

railings in front of Mikes Shopping Mall are breaking. Also there has been an increase in local lowlife males hanging around the walkway/beach.

sorry bout that but I like to increase sometimes

2 more photos from Pattaya

attachicon.gif12705564_1090337754344478_8022505535774788542_n.jpg

attachicon.gifn8Beach.jpg

And some of how it could be from a town not far from Pattaya called Ang-Silla

attachicon.gifang silla 1.jpg

attachicon.gifang silla 2.jpg

attachicon.gifang silla 3.jpg

Where is Ang-Silla, google maps cant find it

I think this is it - https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2+%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2/@13.3198908,100.9330875,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xd8525e95509d267a

I have been to the seafood market there. Just before Chonburi (or part of but turn left off Suk before getting into Chonburi proper).

... Also there has been an increase in local lowlife males hanging around the walkway/beach.

Hardly a poor construction problem is it?

Ok then on the related subject why in the world did they construct motorbike on and off ramps on this so called walkway? Its just an invitation for these -------- to drive on it.

And by the way this area at Soi 1 still looks like the photos by johng made in post 28. Are the second two photos really in Thailand ?

This is a lot like Providence Rhode Island was back in the 70s. Every few years they just let out some contracts to manually put down bricks or paving stones over and over again. A pure make money project no doubt with a lot of bribes and kickbacks. Instead of making a nice and simple walkway. Gosh I remember as recently as 2005 or so, the north end of the walkway, not far from that picture that was posted had flower beds. The little benches were nice places to sit. So disgusted that a scenic bay has water you can't swim in, can barely safely walk along, has had all the trees butchered, etc. But with constant military takeovers, no police or civilian control of anything, and I can only imagine how the city budget gets administered. Does the military reach in and get a share? Are there city budget meetings? Are there financial disclosures or independent audits? Ooop, sorry. I am using open government western ideas

When I was living in Bangkok there was a hole opened up on one of the small soi's near where I was staying. Twice they came along to fill it in by putting tarmac over the hole.

Not sure how surprised they were when the tarmac dropped thru the hole.

Third time they came up with an ingenious idea of putting a metal plate over the hole before putting tarmac over that.

So its not impossible for them to do it right, it just sometimes takes a little while.

If they had buit a seawall like this ... The Soi 1 area is gettin worse now and looks like they have gven up. Not onle the walkway but some of the benches are breaking and the

chrome handrails in front of Soi 9 have broken at the < 1 mm base.

* note the suspiciousely 80% in sand sandbags that caused the erosian down stream.

post-40602-0-35397900-1457750125_thumb.j

Thanks for those photos of the devastation on the beach walkway.

Seems all good to me as one that never liked the direction the council is trying to take the city ie away from it's natural base, the mongers, and towards "rich" people.

I may not know much, but I do know that Mr and Mrs Loadsacash aren't going to be wanting to stay in the Hilton if they look out of the window and see THAT.

The council with their ill devised plan to tart up the pigs ear of the Pattaya beach walkway to appeal to "the right sort of tourist" has sure gone and shot themselves in the foot with this one 55555.

Thanks for those photos of the devastation on the beach walkway.

Seems all good to me as one that never liked the direction the council is trying to take the city ie away from it's natural base, the mongers, and towards "rich" people.

I may not know much, but I do know that Mr and Mrs Loadsacash aren't going to be wanting to stay in the Hilton if they look out of the window and see THAT.

The council with their ill devised plan to tart up the pigs ear of the Pattaya beach walkway to appeal to "the right sort of tourist" has sure gone and shot themselves in the foot with this one 55555.

you would have thought so but the Hilton and other hotels arent prepared to pay a single baht for anything not on their properties, they dont even care about the shitty footpaths right outside their hotels, let alone the beach

• 2 weeks later...

No updates for a while, but one has to ask just when the management of businesses like the Hilton, Central etc are going to start demanding some sort of PROPER rectification of the fubar. The disaster surely must be having some sort of effect on their bottom line.

Demanding something like that from city hall is like pushing on a string. What about the construction trailers mess at South end, the lowlifes that drive motor bikes on this so

called walkway, the construction junk ( concrete with rusted iron bars ) left on parts of beach. All the sand fill they have done like recently at Soi 1 is going to wash out/collapse as soon as heavy rain/flooding arrives. Take a walk from Bali Hi pier out to lighthouse point if you want to see another disaster. And what about that collapsed concrete slap walk around the North point at the Dusit Thani hotel ? I emailed them about that and they said it is city hall territory. Im sure that disaster and now construction junk/ drain pipe beach is also having adverse effects on their business. In fact im sure it is since I saw far less tourists sitting on that beach this last hi season than in past. Well you get the drift: Nothing is going to be done whatsoever. But since the majority of Pattaya tourism seems to be going in the oblivious mass touring Asian/Indian/Thai direction there may not be much overall effect on the bottom line..

Archived