Bad Delivery Service

Boatman37210

Recently bought two mattresses from Home Pro that were delivered on separate days. Our house is located maybe 50 yards from where they have to take it off the truck and carry it. Two men delivered, but when they approach the house one man carried it. It was obvious it was rather heavy for one man. When he got to our doorway he slammed the mattress down on its' corner. The mattress settled in a vertical position. He commenced to try and squeeze the mattress vertically through the door. His pardner said something so he stopped. They each took an end to carry the mattress horizontally the rest of the way. I have to wonder if there is any damage inside after he slammed it and why he would even attempt to squeeze it in through the doorway vertically. It's almost as if he did it on purpose for my viewing displeasure.

Next mattress next day from Home Pro two men delivered, but again only one man carried. After the earlier experience I met the guy at the doorway and grab one end. I helped carry the mattress into the bedroom. The other guy did nothing.

There are 3 other instances in the last couple of years of delivery personnel handling items badly. You get the idea.

What gets me they do this in front of you. It's almost as if they do it on purpose. Maybe they think there is nothing I can do about it, so they enjoy doing it.

I think most of these businesses use an independent delivery service. It's free delivery to me, but the business pays the delivery service. I'm at a point that if I make any other purchases that require delivery I'm going to look at other options even if I have to pay for it.

Another thing is that when these businesses call to rate the delivery my Thai wife gives them 5 stars. Maybe this is normal service for Thai people, so they don't know when to complain.

Done with "free" delivery.

What gets me they do this in front of you. It's almost as if they do it on purpose. Maybe they think there is nothing I can do about it, so they enjoy doing it.

no they don't do it on purpose they just do it the way it is done here...and they THINK this is really too much asked for...

Back in 2001, shortly after I moved to BKK, there was a column in the Bangkok Post, Called Kat's Eye on Bangkok. or something like that. Anyway, the author was the wife of an expat on assignment here. She wrote a story in one column about a bed delivery. Seems that she and her husband had come to Bangkok on a pre-move visit and had rented a house. They bought a bed, to be delivered after they returned permanently a month later. She was home when a truck and three men arrived to deliver the bed. When they didn't come back in she sent to see what was happening. She found the men, standing at the back of the truck, laughing. They had forgotten to put the bed in the truck. Finally, they promised to return the next day with the bed.

The next morning they showed up again and she let them in. When she went to check, she found that they had installed a bed -- but not the bed that she and her husband had ordered!

Of course, she made the story much longer, more detailed, funnier, and more interesting. It's just that your tale reminded me of hers.

One other thing. This is not unique to Home Pro. I've experienced bad delivery service from other businesses.

Bad delivery service, shockingly bad welding jobs, rubbish electricians etc etc etc. No end to it here. TiT.

If one pays sod all for people that earn sod all it is perhaps not surprising.

I try to do EVERYTHING myself, as that's the only way I know it's done properly.

One other thing. This is not unique to Home Pro. I've experienced bad delivery service from other businesses.

Bad delivery service, shockingly bad welding jobs, rubbish electricians etc etc etc. No end to it here. TiT.

If one pays sod all for people that earn sod all it is perhaps not surprising.

I try to do EVERYTHING myself, as that's the only way I know it's done properly.

rather up to your expectations...

So if you knew, or suspected what might happen, why didnt you tell them what you wanted immediately, they would have done what you asked. You cant expect people to be "just like home". If something is not the way you want or expect, try opening your mouth or getting the wife/Gf to tell them, I find they are more than willing if given the correct direction.

They're people working for minimum wage that have to carry heavy-ass crap up multiple flights of narrow-ass stairs in the heat for mostly ingrates because they are not competent enough to hold down a job in an air conditioned seven.

Thinking about it, going up those narrow stairs all the time may be why they carry the mattresses vertically.

That said, most every mattress I've had since I was 17 has been about as wide as it was long.

The last two I imported from the U.S.

We had no dramas getting our house built and furnished in Thailand. Actually, it was worse in Australia.

Nor us. We're in a condo and if it seems the delivery people are going to have a problem, we ask the condo building repair guys to help. They know they'll get a tip from us, so they're always standing around eager to help anyway. I think they clue-in delivery and installation people, because we've always had good service when we buy new stuff. Helps too, that we've loaned hand tools, etc to these guys to assemble things they've delivered although you do have to wonder why they come without the appropriate tools for the job.