Self Raising Flour.

Anyone know where I can get self raising flour in Thailand? There is plenty of cake flour and so called all purpose flour

but not real self raising flour. I want it for making suet, and pancakes.

Most online recipe sites will tell you, If you do not have self-rising flour and the recipe calls for it, you can make your own by combining 1 cup all-purpose flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt.

"Cake" and "Pastry" Flour do not make good substitutes for White or All-purpose Flour as they contain different specific percentage of protein and gluten.

In reality add 5% Baking Powder to Flour to make self raising flour.

Don't know where you got salt from.

Most online recipe sites will tell you, If you do not have self-rising flour and the recipe calls for it, you can make your own by combining 1 cup all-purpose flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt.

"Cake" and "Pastry" Flour do not make good substitutes for White or All-purpose Flour as they contain different specific percentage of protein and gluten.

In reality add 5% Baking Powder to Flour to make self raising flour.

Don't know where you got salt from.

The Pinch of Salt is added to mask the taste of raw flour and extend the self-life of baked goods.

It isn't a requirement and can be omitted, especially in recipes that include salt as an ingredient.

Googling "salt in self-raising flour" and you'll find it mentioned.

Another alternative would be to make your own Baking Powder, use half a teaspoon of cream of tartar and quarter of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. This provides the equivalent of one teaspoon of baking powder.

thekitchn.com
"Flour being marketed as "self-rising" (or "self-raising," as it is called in the UK) is simply regular flour with baking powder added. The ratio of ingredients is usually about 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder per cup of flour. Many brands also add a pinch of salt for each cup of flour.
So the "rise" in this case doesn't actually refer to the traditional rising and proofing of yeast doughs. It refers to the rising that happens in the oven as the baking powder becomes activated by the liquids in the batter and the heat of the oven.
Self-rising flour is sometimes used in recipes for quick breads, biscuits, and other baked goods that use chemical leaveners to rise, but it's best to only use this flour when the recipe specifically calls for it. Otherwise, it's all too easy to throw off the proportion of baking powder and salt in the recipe and end up with an under- or over-leavened baked good with off flavors.
In general, we'd say that it's not worth buying self-rising flour, even if you're completely new to baking and are hoping to buy yourself a bit of insurance. And if you're attempting anything with yeast, definitely stick to the plain old flours. Self-rising flour would really throw off your results! "

The genral rule is for each 225 gm of all purpose flour add level teaspoons of baking powder as follows:-

scones/bread 4

fruitcake/sponge/steamed pudding 3

shortcrust pastry/biscuits/batters 1

I would NEVER use self-raising flour in short crust pastry or batters like Yorkshire Pudding.
  • Like 1

^^ RabC - no I don't touch SR flour either. I just add the recommended amounts of baking powder to all purpose flour to obtain the raising characteristics of SR flour in things like whisked sponges, steak and kidney pudding and bisciuts.

^^ RabC - no I don't touch SR flour either. I just add the recommended amounts of baking powder to all purpose flour to obtain the raising characteristics of SR flour in things like whisked sponges, steak and kidney pudding and bisciuts.

Understood, I do use self raising flour but solely in cake baking (sponges) the rest of the stuff is plain flour with additives if/as/when needed.

Salt is an unnecessary additive to self rising flour. But a little bit of salt raises the taste of the final product you make.

Most people forget to add a pinch of salt to recipies with SR flour.

Maybe that is a reason why suppliers add it.

I always buy mine at friendship in Pattaya, an Aussie brand. I have also seen at the central food hall which was Waitrose from the UK.

Snap lol

Thanks RabC and Bartender, I will go the next time I am in Pattaya.

Great, I will take a note of that.

The genral rule is for each 225 gm of all purpose flour add level teaspoons of baking powder as follows:-

scones/bread 4

fruitcake/sponge/steamed pudding 3

shortcrust pastry/biscuits/batters 1

I would NEVER use self-raising flour in short crust pastry or batters like Yorkshire Pudding.

I only require flour for making pancakes and suet.

Pancakes are made with plain flour, almost all the time OP

You do for American pancakes

I made pancakes with cake flour and they were flat and tasteless, you mean plain flour makes the pancakes rise??

Make your own. It works.

Google is your friend which is where I got these 2 recipes from.

attachicon.gifSelf raising flour v01.doc

attachicon.gifSelf raising flour v02.doc

Just a word of caution, it's never a good idea to link .doc files.

High risk of security issues. Though, .pdf these days isn't much better.

OK thanks for that as I did not realise that it could be a security issue.

• Like 1

^^ possum1931 - The percursor to a pancake is the batter that you make up, hence add one level teaspoon of baking powder per 225 gm of all purpose flour according to the general rule I posted above when making pancakes. I also use soda water in my batters to help them fizz up.

Suet is the name given to the hard fatty tissue covering the kidneys of cattle and sheep. It may be rendered down and used in place of other culinary fats to make suet-crust pastry, dumplings, spotted dick and other steamed puddings etc which are lighter and airier than they would otherwise be. If using all purpose flour to make any of the aforementioned dishes which require suet, add 3 level teaspoons of baking powder per 225 gm of all purpose flour according to the general rule I posted above.

• Like 1

I made pancakes with cake flour and they were flat and tasteless, you mean plain flour makes the pancakes rise??

_MG_3617+2.JPG

Baking powder is baking soda with acid already added (cream of Tartar). Baking soda does not contain a percentage of acid to make it rise. You can add acid like lemon juice, yoghurt or whatever you like to your dough.

Most ideal in my view is baking powder. Saves you the trouble. Baking soda is also good for many non food applications. See the web.

American pancakes need Baking powder. Don't use cake flour for it as it is too dense/finer milled.

Crepes just need plain flour, no rising agent and typical Dutch pancakes use yeast for a good rise.

Not trying to be pedantic but the type of pancake being made will dictate whether baking powder is needed or not, American style then yes, UK style (like crepes) then no..

Isn't that what I wrote above?

Not trying to be pedantic but the type of pancake being made will dictate whether baking powder is needed or not, American style then yes, UK style (like crepes) then no..

Isn't that what I wrote above?

My apologies I missed your last paragraph, I'll blame it on the heat.

_MG_3617+2.JPG

Baking powder is baking soda with acid already added (cream of Tartar). Baking soda does not contain a percentage of acid to make it rise. You can add acid like lemon juice, yoghurt or whatever you like to your dough.

Most ideal in my view is baking powder. Saves you the trouble. Baking soda is also good for many non food applications. See the web.

American pancakes need Baking powder. Don't use cake flour for it as it is too dense/finer milled.

Crepes just need plain flour, no rising agent and typical Dutch pancakes use yeast for a good rise.

Actually, most baking powder available to consumers is double acting, which means it has 2 kinds of acids. One, such as cream of tartar, reacts at a lower temperature with the baking soda and the other reacts at a higher baking temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the recipe I use for pancakes

"Tall, fluffy pancakes are delicious served with butter and syrup or top with strawberries
and whipped cream for a real treat. "
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup all -purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
cooking spray
Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet
ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls
of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a
spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.

• 2 years later...