How many K's can get out of a scooter

To be honest , as long as you constantly change the oil every 4000 ks, and this is critical, change the oil, you

Could easy get 150-200 thousand out of it......pretty cheap motoring....but it has to have the oil maintenance

Edited by namatjira

I actually change the oil on my bikes every 3,000-3,500km. It is probably overkill, but worth it I think to change it often as has been noted already.

As hot as it is in Thailand, I think you're wise to change often.

Oil is important but More important is the speed and way you drive it..Wide open and Hi Revs No engine will last long...30,000 or less and it is shot if abused...Drive slow and service it will last many years

At least 200,000 kms.

Agree, but 200k should be considered the bare minimum because it's so quick, easy, and cheap to rebuild the engines and transmissions. I got a top and bottom end done in a Wave for 1800 baht including parts and labor. A Click can be done in a couple of hours for only a little more in parts. The cylinders are lined with sleeves, so they can be rebuilt many times. If you don't overheat, any Japanese 100-135cc has an almost unlimited life.

I have a 25 year old wave. No idea of the odometer reading but I imagine pushing well over 300k km. It has a little valve blow by, which is just a puff of smoke as I go up a mountain, not worth rebuilding yet.

These things are amazingly long lived. I wish I had the body of a Honda!

In an air-cooled engine, oil does double duty as it also helps cool, so change frequently as people have said.

Edited by duanebigsby

I take my Click to the Honda dealer for servicing. It's cheap and it keeps your warranty. Do it yourself and should there be a catastrophic failure then your warranty will be nul and void. Once the warranty is out then crack on and do it yourself if you like.

You've chosen wisely. It is good product. The Honda Click Fuel Injection 125 cc is a robust machine. Its life varies according to handling, service, accidents, or misuse.

I have had mine for 3/4 years and have it serviced every 3500 kms oil, air filter, check tyres etc. I use it every day and it is cheap and economical to run. I love it.

Just watch out for the gravel, a few slides on its side down the road it won't look so good, neither will you, and you'll reach nowhere near 200,000 kms.before you desire to exchange it if, that is, you still have an appetite for motorcycling.

Honda Click - maybe 35-70k between rebuilds, depending on the year and model. Honda Wave, yes could be 100-150k in a best case scenario. It all depends on the model, mostly on the engine installed. Most Clicks had a lemon engine.

The Honda clicks do not have lemon engines,

No need for a rebuild at 35 to 70, long as you change the oil,

If you become lazy and keep putting it off, that's where you get the wear and

Tear on the motor, the dirty oil grinds it down......

Most Clicks had a lemon engine.

Are they still built with poor engines ?

Well someone more mechanically inclined than I told me they've changed to a different (more durable) engine in the last couple of years. I have an approximately 2007 Click, it has been a lot of trouble, had to have it rebuilt at 38,000 kms, but to be fair bought it used for 5,000 baht.

I'm not disputing what many have said here, that 150,000 kms is possible from a motorbike, its just not likely. More of a best case scenario if all goes perfectly.

Change the oil regularly, I do mine every 2000 km, should last forever, no cold starts. Don't thrash it down a hill faster than it goes on the straight and you should be good for a lot of miles.

Edited by Vogele123

What worry's me most... Standard oil they use = 10W30.... winter oil ;-)

Better use SAE40 ( withstands the heat from Thailand better )

Manufacturers spend millions of dollars testing for the best oil viscocity for their engines. And they spend millions getting all the clearances and surface finishes compatible with the oil they recommend. They have millions of endurance test data points.

I'd generally suggest following their recommendation.

I'd experiment with higher viscosities before sucking it up and rebuilding or binning a worn engine that's smoking a little. But not on a good one I wanted to last. Only as a last ditch effort.

Most Clicks had a lemon engine.

Are they still built with poor engines ?

Well someone more mechanically inclined than I told me they've changed to a different (more durable) engine in the last couple of years. I have an approximately 2007 Click, it has been a lot of trouble, had to have it rebuilt at 38,000 kms, but to be fair bought it used for 5,000 baht.

I'm not disputing what many have said here, that 150,000 kms is possible from a motorbike, its just not likely. More of a best case scenario if all goes perfectly.

What do you mean 150km not likely? I've got 300k km on mine, these Hondas are bullet proof and the engines treated properly will run almost forever.

I had a Toyota car which I put 600k kms on before letting it go.

Not sure but the newer Cricks are water cooled, right?

If so, oil doesn't get very hot.

Should be able to run it flat out ad lib without adverse consequence.

You can't really red line them; [hence absence of tachometer.]

Honda recommends oil change at 4000km?

Plenty good.

You can buy oil for 120 baht at store and DIY

or pay shop 130 to do it for you.

Change the tranny gear oil @ break-in then @ 50,000km intervals.

It doesn't get hot.

Change hydraulic brake fluid every few years.

It sucks up atmospheric water.

Maintain coolant per book....

Try for 400,000km.

Edited by papa al

A friend of mine never changed his oils in 5 years since new in his Nouvo and had more than 10k on it.

Oil is cheap but don't stress out if you are are lax on changes.

Don't forget there is oil to change in the final drive case on automatic scooters too.

A friend of mine never changed his oils in 5 years since new in his Nouvo and had more than 10k on it.

Don't forget there is oil to change in the final drive case on automatic scooters too.

Never good advice to tell someone it's okay to neglect oil changes.

Change the Oil every 5000k in my bikes... Oil has come along way if you are changing it earlier I think it doesnt need it and just throwing good oil away... I change the oil filter every 2nd change. Use Synthentic Oil after 6000ks.. Have done this on all of my bikes and never had an issue.

Ps manual recomends 12000k for 2nd Oil change on my bike.. So all the research Honda and others do on a bike with a oil filter must come from some research. Seems like a long way.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Good point.

If you want to get only 10Kkm or so out of a bike, skip the oil changes.