Phuket expects tourism rebound in last quarter of this year

webfact

Phuket expects tourism rebound in last quarter of this year
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

PHUKET: -- THE tourism business in Phuket continues to feel the pain from the global economic slowdown, but is expected to rebound in the final quarter of this year thanks to big cleaning days at beaches and new management tricks.

Surapong Techaruvichit, president of the Thai Hotels Association, said last week that the average occupancy rate at hotels in Phuket in April was 62 per cent, a 15-per-cent decline from 74 per cent in the same month last year. Three-star hotels experienced the biggest drop at 36 per cent while five-star hotels suffered a 9 per cent decline.

The hotel business in the upper Northeast also slipped by 15 per cent in April while hotels in Pattaya were down by 3.4 per cent. Bangkok was up by 21-28 per cent. Chiang Mai and the western region gained 7 per cent.

"The overall occupancy rate in April was 73 per cent, falling from 76 per cent in same month last year. However, the room rate increased slightly from Bt4,108 to Bt4,203.

"Thai tourism is being affected by the global economic slowdown, especially from the huge dive in arrivals from the Russian and Western markets," he said.

The association predicts that the hotel business in Phuket and the whole country would revive in the last quarter when the high season arrives.

Krisada Tansakul, president of the association's southern chapter, said the tourism business in Phuket would return to nearly normal in the coming peak season, running from October till March, as many foreigners should return to the famous island for vacation.

The resort island would be more crowded when Phuket International Airport completes expansion work at the end of next year. Last year, 14 beaches on the island were cleaned up by the military after it took over the country's administration.

"After the crackdown, local administrators gave only 10 per cent of land at each of the beaches and turned the area into a one-stop service centre providing massage, food and drinks, and water activity information.

"All operators are not allowed to hunt for customers on the beach while tourists are advised to get service from a designated centre. Violators will be caught by police," he said.

For long-term management without the military, the province has asked Prince of Songkla University to conduct a study on current enforcement and see whether this way will fit with the island. The study is set to be completed next month.

Besides the beach crackdown, taxis and public cars on the island have also been brought into the campaign.

"The association believes 12 million visitors will arrive on the island this year," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Phuket-expects-tourism-rebound-in-last-quarter-of--30261326.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-01

Been to Patong many times, the latest just two weeks ago.

NEVER seen it so quiet.

I have a friend that has lived there for 15 years.

And he has a small business there.

And he said the same.

The MANY rip offs and crime against tourists has come back to BITE them.

I really don't think Phuket will ever be the same as before.

The so-called experts have been predicting tourist numbers to soar for years.

And yet it still has NOT happened and IMHO it will NEVER happen.

"... in Phuket in April was 62 per cent, a 15-per-cent decline from 74 per cent in the same month last year."

Guess who's got a new calculator (with a brass handle!) that they use in novel ways - Is that an African or European model?, in Decimal or Octal?

Yeah we had one and the wheel fell off blink.png

Edited by Shiver

"The association believes 12 million visitors will arrive on the island this year," he said.

Is that 12 millions visitors or 6 million visitors going through the airport twice (coming in and going out)?

Not surprised that there is a over supply of hotel rooms.

To give tourists some satisfaction from this island.

Allow only tuk tuk with a meter on roads..They might become much bussier as now no one wants deal with the hassle of negotiating these persons

Introduce hop on hop off tourist busses from Kamala,Patong,Karon Kata. 24/7 system couple times a day only.

Why they can organize this In Pattaya but not in Phuket?

To give tourists some satisfaction from this island.

Allow only tuk tuk with a meter on roads..They might become much bussier as now no one wants deal with the hassle of negotiating these persons

Introduce hop on hop off tourist busses from Kamala,Patong,Karon Kata. 24/7 system couple times a day only.

Why they can organize this In Pattaya but not in Phuket?

Because Pattaya had it right from the start.

I first went there in 1981 and all there was, was the walking street area, though, all other sois were laid out.

The Baht buses and meter taxis were there then.

Been to Patong many times, the latest just two weeks ago.

NEVER seen it so quiet.

I have a friend that has lived there for 15 years.

And he has a small business there.

And he said the same.

The MANY rip offs and crime against tourists has come back to BITE them.

I really don't think Phuket will ever be the same as before.

The so-called experts have been predicting tourist numbers to soar for years.

And yet it still has NOT happened and IMHO it will NEVER happen.

I just hope they do not hustle your friend and you off to one of the indoctrination centres. Government figures and guesstimates do not lie. They are the truth and nothing but the truth so help your big toe. My g/f always swears by her big toe and she is Thai.

Is that 12 millions visitors or 6 million visitors going through the airport twice (coming in and going out)?

Not surprised that there is a over supply of hotel rooms.

Did they use a 10000 counters using abacuses to figure this out.

Taxis brought into this campaign? I remember last year, it was about the same time the PM was showing what a true hero he is by making motor bike taxis wear the same colour vests - there was a lot of hoo-haa regarding taxis in Phuket and taxi ranks only was the name of the game. They were going to set up a central call centre and people had top call for their taxi, only legal taxis could participate.... Anybody got the number to call?

18 comment and no one has mentioned their room rate of 4,208 Baht. Is that the average room rate over all the hotels used to get the statistics from? How many hotels were used in the survey

It's all a little bit arbitrary really.

I've been doing some of the Asian tourist spots for the last month; KL, Angor Wat, Hanoi, Danang and Hoian. Business is down all over which results in great deals for the traveler. This isn't a Thai issue. This is a world economy issue.

Also it's temperature issue, it's <deleted> hot out there. Angkor Wat at 38C?

Let's not read too much into this. It's not a trend. They'll be back. Thailand is simply the best. There is nothing really close to what Thailand has to offer.

An increase in the bus loads of Chinese we see herded about the place will not benefit the local economy. Financial rewards will only go to a select few. It will be very rare if you see the Chinese dining out at local restaurants, drinking in bars, or shopping at small shops (other than 7/11). Numbers alone do not tell the whole story.

I've been doing some of the Asian tourist spots for the last month; KL, Angor Wat, Hanoi, Danang and Hoian. Business is down all over which results in great deals for the traveler. This isn't a Thai issue. This is a world economy issue.

Let's not read too much into this. It's not a trend. They'll be back. Thailand is simply the best. There is nothing really close to what Thailand has to offer.

So you visited the beaches in Da Nang and Hoi An and still claim Thailand beaches are better .... cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

So you visited the beaches in Da Nang and Hoi An and still claim Thailand beaches are better .... cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Where does he mention anywhere about visiting Vietnamese beaches?

I think they're right, I also see a rebound in tourism from western countries coming soon. I am convinced they'll start coming back, slowly, slowly.

Forget the EURO zone in that assertion, losing almost 15% whack from your wallet changes everything, Phuket is no longer a cheap destination as it is.