Police chief hits back at critics for pressuring him to strip Thaksin’s rank

webfact

Police chief hits back at critics for pressuring him to strip Thaksin’s rank

IMG_20150601_173038-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Pol Gen Somyot Pumpunmuang has hit back at his critics accusing them of harbouring hidden agendas for pressuring him to strip fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra of his police rank.

The national police chief said his critics should not jump into the conclusion that he would drag his feet on the matter until his retirement from the police force or to put pressure on him to do what they had wanted.

He said that he is a man of principle, a man who made his own judgement based on the right principle, fairness and the letters of the law. He said he would listen to some suggestions but would not bow to pressure.

He maintained that he is a highly disciplined police officer who is ready to take orders from his legitimate superiors whom he identified as General Prayut Chan-ocha, the prime minister and head of the National Council for Peace and Order, and General Prawit Wongsuwan, the deputy prime minister and defence minister.

The police chief said none of them had ever interfered with his work or ordered him to do the wrong things. “So those who are not (my boss) please have respect for my rights,” he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-chief-hits-back-at-critics-for-pressuring-him-to-strip-thaksins-rank

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-01

Thaksin is a convicted felon on the run yet the thought of stripping him of his police rank is abhorrent to Pol General Somyot Pumpunmuang.

What a shameful comment on the status of the police force and it shows a total disrespect for those honest( and there are some too) police officers both in and out of uniform.

You have no rights Pol General Somyot Pumpunmuang,

As police chief you follow orders, you are whether you like it or not a public servant the public is not your servant and we can hopefully presume you are not a Thaksin servant either.

Edited by arfurcrown

"Pol Gen Somyot Pumpunmuang has hit back at his critics accusing them of harbouring hidden agendas for pressuring him to strip fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra of his police rank."

Yes, how dare anyone question this situation.

Why should a fugitive criminal evading justice and a court imposed gaol sentence be considered unfit to be a ranking police officer?

It's political correctness gone mad I tell you, mad!!

Edited by Bluespunk

maybe this is just lost in translation or bad journalism, but do I now understand from this report that

Pol Gen Somyot Pumpunmuang

who hates the PTP and Thaksin is now claiming that his critics are pressuring him to strip Thaksin of his rank???

And that he is instead going to do it because he is a just, upright, and honest cop?

someone help me out with this so that I can then ROFLMAO... biggrin.png

maybe this is just lost in translation or bad journalism, but do I now understand from this report that

who hates the PTP and Thaksin is now claiming that his critics are pressuring him to strip Thaksin of his rank???

And that he is instead going to do it because he is a just, upright, and honest cop?

Correct.

Could it be that things are afoot in Thai society that go beyond the comprehension and simplistic hatreds of the anti Thaksin league on here???

Surely not.

Correct.

Could it be that things are afoot in Thai society that go beyond the comprehension and simplistic hatreds of the anti Thaksin league on here???

Surely not.

Absolutely. In real democratic countries as we come from police officers retain their rank when getting out, going into business and politics, or get convicted, sentenced and do a runner. Obviously to even want to have Thaksin's police rank removed means someone is a hater of democracy in general and Thaksin specifically.

Correct.

Surely not.

then it seems that Somyot is really twisting in the wind...

But it is - at least - entertaining to watch the Generals and their Chumps like Somyot get worked up into a frothy frenzy about a single interview...

Correct.

Surely not.

Absolutely. In real democratic countries as we come from police officers retain their rank when getting out, going into business and politics, or get convicted, sentenced and do a runner. Obviously to even want to have Thaksin's police rank removed means someone is a hater of democracy in general and Thaksin specifically.

Uh ???

Too many reds ??

Wine I mean.

Perhaps they were waiting for a politically appropriate time to start these proceedings.

Consider the attitude adjustment meetings last year. If the didn't use a stick they must have used a carrot to adjust peoples attitudes.

After Big Shin T made his outburst last week, there have been passports nullified and police ranks stripped.

There is still the matter of 2 family members involved in high profile cases.

Carrots and Sticks.gigglem.gif

The idiot has absolutely no credibility. Thaksin is already a convicted felon and has several other warrants outstanding. His bullshit grandfathered police rank should have been stripped years ago. It is PG Somyot who should be under review for chronic nepotism.

"Pol Gen Somyot Pumpunmuang has hit back at his critics accusing them of harbouring hidden agendas for pressuring him to strip fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra of his police rank."

Why should a fugitive criminal evading justice and a court imposed gaol sentence be considered unfit to be a ranking police officer?

Why can't due process of law be followed to make the case to remove his rank instead of heeding to spurious complaints? Somyot makes a legitimate rebuttal that HIS SUPERIORS are not requesting he initiate the process but 3rd parties whose motivation may have questionable agendas.

If Prayut wants to remove Thaksin's rank, he has the power to bypass due process of law and order it removed. Such action of course would be contrary to the very judicial process that Prayut claims to be reforming. Prayut can also allow due process of law and request Somyot to start a review process to determine if removal is justified.

It's not about political correctness but about JUDICIAL correctness!

Incredible that a criminal on the run from a prison sentence plus a heap of more serious court cases waiting can hold a police rank for years.

Hopefully your qualifications for fishing are better... poor "fishs"

Thaksin is a convicted felon on the run yet the thought of stripping him of his police rank is abhorrent to Pol General Somyot Pumpunmuang.

What a shameful comment on the status of the police force and it shows a total disrespect for those honest( and there are some too) police officers both in and out of uniform.

You have no rights Pol General Somyot Pumpunmuang,

As police chief you follow orders, you are whether you like it or not a public servant the public is not your servant and we can hopefully presume you are not a Thaksin servant either.

ooohh yeah... I like that comment..

" You have no rights Pol General Somyot Pumpunmuang,

As police chief you follow orders, you are whether you like it or not a public servant the public is not your servant and we can hopefully presume you are not a Thaksin servant either"

I am pretty shure the "Job" you did for lifetime was just serving your boss needs without thinking, what ever wishes they had..... must have made fun, work without think..

Every educated guy is use his own brain to proof orders got.. but thats only for educated People, not for dummies... and by the way,

many of those "upstanding and substantive comments" about crimes etc. show how easy it is to accomplish parrot

Congratulations to Khun Somyot Pumpunmuang !

The Police Chief may have rights but so the Public whom he serves. So look after the rights of the Public Police Chief not some convicted felon .

Yes, the Police chief servs the Country and the public.

Yes, he is right and has the right to use his brain!

Yes, it is a good thing not just to shot down other citizen because of different political attitude, so not follow a killing comand (Counts for all .. red, blue, black, yellow..)

Yes it was the public will of millions of Thais that Mr. Thaksin was prime Minister and the only one who has been elected twice

Yes in democratic countries if you dont fear the public you can let the people speak free and dress what ever they like, eat what they like or user their fingers (not urgently solely the middle one)

and and and..

Thinking is a think is a privilege of the educated, with an IQ well over 100..

The only possible reason that the Chief is backing away from stripping Khun Thaksin of rank , besides cold feet , is he knows fully well the many avenues that are available in Thailand for revenge , I rest my case. coffee1.gif

I second that. He is covering his backside against the eventuality (don't ever think that it can't happen) that Mr. T returns to extract retribution.

It's fairly simple Mr police chief.

Use the PTP defence minister's (general Yutthasak from memory) method against Abhisit's military service.

Form a RTP committee of your hand-picked acolytes, let them discuss it for 5 minutes, take a 'vote' and bob's your uncle - rank removed.

Why can't due process of law be followed to make the case to remove his rank instead of heeding to spurious complaints? Somyot makes a legitimate rebuttal that HIS SUPERIORS are not requesting he initiate the process but 3rd parties whose motivation may have questionable agendas.

If Prayut wants to remove Thaksin's rank, he has the power to bypass due process of law and order it removed. Such action of course would be contrary to the very judicial process that Prayut claims to be reforming. Prayut can also allow due process of law and request Somyot to start a review process to determine if removal is justified.

It's not about political correctness but about JUDICIAL correctness!

You appear to miss my point and focus on my sarcasm.

He has been evading justice for the best part of a decade already and should have been stripped of his rank a long time ago.

Ludicrous that he has not been.

This pronouncement is not about Thaksin, but about people making the General lose face 'for implying he is not going to do what he is ordered to do in a timely fashion'.

Nothing to do with Thaksin at all,

it's The General's face wash on the line here.

How dare anyone< ANYONE<<<< imply he is not honest!

Edited by animatic