Which is better?

philw

I often ride my little honda against the traffic for a couple of blocks, especially when going to Rimping, but I had a bad experience with a foreigner who quite deliberately tried to run me off the road.

Why someone from a western country should do that is another question...

I notice that most Thai people, in the same situation, drive on the pavement.

Which is safer ??

I don't know which is safer, but every once in a while some obnoxious foreigner starts yelling at me for going the wrong way when I am riding my bicycle in a bicycle lane that goes in both directions. It is always a white person, if that makes any difference.

I don't know which is safer, but every once in a while some obnoxious foreigner starts yelling at me for going the wrong way when I am riding my bicycle in a bicycle lane that goes in both directions. It is always a white person, if that makes any difference.

Interesting point.

I also have experienced that.

Thanks

if it were me, and i really did that thai thing, i'd probably go slow on the pavement, way far to the right. lately, i've had a rash of foreigners (americans by the way) yell at me for the way i parked my motorbike. which in one case was slightly behind the guy at a 7-11, kinda sorta blocking him in. i must add, in this case i saw him coming and waited on the bike to move if the bike in front was his. and it was. but he still got shitty, saying something to the affect, "why does everyone parked so <deleted> stupid in this country?" and i was, "huh? it's thailand." and he says, "well they don't <deleted> park like that in america." and I say, "well, i'm american, have lived here a long time, and everyone parks like this. plus i waited for you." and he says, "well you need to go back to america and learn some things." i mean, c'mon, that's hysterical, no?

if it were me, and i really did that thai thing, i'd probably go slow on the pavement, way far to the right. lately, i've had a rash of foreigners (americans by the way) yell at me for the way i parked my motorbike. which in one case was slightly behind the guy at a 7-11, kinda sorta blocking him in. i must add, in this case i saw him coming and waited on the bike to move if the bike in front was his. and it was. but he still got shitty, saying something to the affect, "why does everyone parked so <deleted> stupid in this country?" and i was, "huh? it's thailand." and he says, "well they don't <deleted> park like that in america." and I say, "well, i'm american, have lived here a long time, and everyone parks like this. plus i waited for you." and he says, "well you need to go back to america and learn some things." i mean, c'mon, that's hysterical, no?

Yes it is funny. some dim wit moves to Thailand and see's every one driving different than in America instead of learning how to drive here he suggests people go to America to learn how they drive there. Not sure if he is just self centered or plain ignorant.

I would say that it depends entirely on the situation...

If you are in the city and the pavement and road are both narrow, ride on the correct side of the road,

If the pavement and road are wide, ride carefully and slowly the wrong way on the pavement. (eg. on the corner by Pantip)

On the Super Highway, don't ride

On the frontage roads, which are dual carriageways, is where you will see the most Thai people riding against the flow.

You ask which is the safest? Riding with the flow of traffic on the correct side of the road is always the safest.

Regarding the parking. Thai people are much more relaxed about blocking other 'bikes in. They will just move he offending 'bikes to get out.

It's only going to get weirder and more dangerous when more reversible bike lanes are installed (or should I say painted in and then ignored) all over town, as Chiang mai continues the lip service campaign of being a bicycle-friendly town. Riding west up the reversible lane on Loy Kroh is always a dance of death.

Biking on the wrong direction may be a good way to see what is coming and avoid an accident with the moving cars....but....will not avoid an accident with a car enterign the road on an intersection because the driver will be looking in the other way....

Happens with me and I got injured...Be careful...

Each state in America has their own traffic laws, most of them require the bicycle riders ride with the traffic in the same direction and not against or head on to the traffic. In Thailand this is not how it works. The best way to survive here is to do like the Thais do but with a lot of caution. I always look for eye contact with other drivers and if I don't get it then I take the cautious route past them.

I think that too many Thais are of the belief that laws are good , but for everybody else, not me. Driving laws are the point in question here.....I think most ride against the law and against traffic because its a lot easier than crossing the street. Its laziness or easy takes precedence or doing what is correct. In come the westeners , who in all probability have had some level of driver training and see that the laws are being broken over and over by the Thai driver without any penalty, so they become lazy and accept the "when in Rome" attitude.

The OP asks which is safer..... well its not rocket science..... the safest way is to obey the law. and also for those that are seen breaking the law, to be penalized or in some way made to pay for their laziness until this society decides to be part of the civilized world. The police are a major shortcoming in this equation.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Biking on the wrong direction may be a good way to see what is coming and avoid an accident with the moving cars....but....will not avoid an accident with a car enterign the road on an intersection because the driver will be looking in the other way....

Happens with me and I got injured...Be careful...

I saw this exact thing happen a couple of weeks ago... Two thai women on a scooter were riding against traffic on the shoulder... A SUV was pulling out into traffic, looking in the direction traffic was flowing and ran right into the scooter going the wrong way... Fortunately the women did not appear to be injured, but the scooter was totaled...

OP, if you read many threads, or talk to many people, driving is really the one thing that most people agree with that sucks here. So, maybe what ran through the dude's head that tried to run you off the road, is thinking 'it's madness enough here as it is, could farangs not add to the chaos!!'.. Obviously the guy is a dink, and what he did isn't justified, but it would be nice to see some semblance of order while driving, and other westerners adding to the fire doesn't help.

Btw, I've driven against traffic sometimes too, it's fun!

-- Whenever I see tourists doing dumb stuff, I always want to say out my window 'Dude, they'll run you over and not think twice about stopping to help you.' But, I'm lazy.

I often ride my little honda against the traffic for a couple of blocks, especially when going to Rimping,

Which Rimping? My answer depends on which branch we're talking about. wink.png

If Mae Hia then don't don it; that area is chaotic enough as it is, with traffic coming from all directions, out of several parking lots, across the Canal bridge direct into a parking lot, etc.

If Nim CIty then that's even worse, borderline suicide.

If the main river (Nawarat branch) then I wouldn't recommend it only because it's not really necessary: no separate lanes there that would make you need to cover extra distance and a U-turn..

Meechoke: Not sure which direction.. If the Mae Jo road then don't do it (same argument as Mae Hia), but in on the Ring Road you have the tunnel/intersection.

Kad Farang: PAVEMENT! Definitely. Especially as the pavement on bigger roads outside of town isn't really used anyway.

Anywhere else? Typically though, go for the pavement. That's what it's for I think. Especially out of town.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Why ride the wrong way, against the traffic? It's stupid, lazy and dangerous. I can't stand westerners who do this. There's enough to be looking out for when you're driving along the road, without having to worry about lazy idiots who think they are so much more important than any other road user that saving a few minutes' time by driving the wrong way is a reasonable thing to do. I've seen plenty of Thais and foreigners do it and I'm always tempted to flatten them.

Whilst I'm in full rant mode, I hate foreigners who perform ridiculous manoeuvres on their underpowered motorbike / scooters such as undertaking me when I'm indicating to turn left. If one of these people ends up embedded in the side of my car, I won't feel 1 second of remorse. The only reason this hasn't happened so far is because I am an experienced motorcyclist who never got out of the habit of looking over my shoulder before turning or changing lane positions, even when driving a car. However, when riding a bike it's your responsibility to take care of your own safety so never assume that car drivers will be aware of what's around them - most of them aren't.

Edited by eaglesflight