News On The New Regulation

Oh it is great to be 50+ year old male with a retirement visa living correctly in the LOS.

Where as before many on here looked down on us so called oldies and said we losers and only here for the young girls because we couldn't get a lady over seas. How the world changers.

Most not all of us, are nothing like that, we respect the laws of this country, times are a changing for you so called young men. Do it the right way and all will be well. If not move on to where the rules are more laxed.

I understand there will be some problems for some, but in your heart of hearts, you knew you were bending the rules as you stepped on the buses that took you over the borders.

I wish you all luck in getting over your problems :o

here here :D

hopefully for your sake your gloating won't turn sour. there are rumors about that they'll raise the financial requirements for retireds and marrieds...

if that happens i wish you all luck in putting all your loot in neat little piles to keep the visas coming:whistling:

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the new regulations affect the Amity treaty for us Yanks?

The amity treaty is mainly concerned with American citizens and entities and there percentage of ownership in Thai companies, and has almost nothing to do with visas. So these regulations have nothing to do with the American Amity treaty. But in this politcal climate I wouldn't be suprised to see changes to the Amity treaty as well.

A Just wants to retire in Thailand, with the occasional trip home to see the kids ?

If you are over 50 years old, no problem on the extension of stay based on retirement.

Otherwise it may mean

1. The Thai Elite card.

2. Multiple Entry Visa

3. Extension of stay based on Education ( Go to school)

4. Extension of stay based on business (Have a business that you do exporting) You can own 100% as a foreigner and get a work permit. Must be a real company doing business.

B Just wants to buy/rent a property in retirement ?

You can buy as long as its a condo. You can buy the building as a freehold and rent land as a leasehold ( or servitude with right of habitation, usufruct and superficies)

C wants to live there legaly and have the corect visa ?

see above

has a pension from the UK in a UK bank (HSBC)

Helps if you are over 50 years old.

E has no intension of working or getting a Thai bride and is married to a British wife (NOT Thai)

Still all applied. Extension of stay based on business ( You can get a work permit and still just sign checks without working as long as you have a good mgr) This option of course has risks. Not all businesses make money!

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

That's clear then :o Since i got more than 4 30-day exemption stamps within the last six month I guess I have to get a tourist visa next time when my leave is due.

I'm working in Saudi at the moment but I'm not 100% sure Thailand still has a embassy or consulate here.

Anybody can provide a link to Thai embassies/consulates abroad?

We are going to see a true BOOM in the wedding market. On unprecedent scale.

Solutions to bypass the problem based on visa B or tourist visas, won't last very long IMHO.

For people who can not have a work permit, or who are not eligible for retirement visa, the only good solution will be to get... a thai wife.

And, I believe they will probably going to put more and more obstacles on farang/thai mariages.

Why ?

Because it's what we did in Europe ! With strong immigrations regulations, people were using the "mariage" trick. So governements decided to crack down on "blank mariage" etc.

I'm 34, have been in Thailand 8 years. I have a daughter (half thai) four years old, but am not with her mother, and we never married. Obviously I support both of them here in Thailand.

...what visa would I legally be entitled to

You should qualify for a non-O visa from a Thai consulate, and then annual extensions of stay to be applied for at the local immigration office for support of a Thai dependent (your daughter). See here, click on “Visa Extension”

---------------

Maestro

Subelt ! Thank you for your hard work and sponsorship.

One more question for your concerning Support of Thai wife and children.

Will the income requirement remain the same at 400,000 Baht or is it also slated to change?

Thanks for the warm greeting. It is still 400K. No news yet of any change.

Here's my situation.....

I'm 34, have been in Thailand 8 years. I have a daughter (half thai) four years old, but am not with her mother, and we never married. Obviously I support both of them here in Thailand.

For the past four years I have had a wok permit. However 3 months ago many of us quit from the job and opted to work from home. Work is internet based and clients are mostly in the USA. At that time i did not have the money to go back to the UK to get a Non Imm B, or fly to Singapore or Malysia for a tourist Visa.

So, to cut a long story short, I now have 3 consecutive 30 day visa's in my passport (and not much cash).

Here's my questions...

1. based on the above info what visa would I legally be entitled to.... Non Imm 'B' or 'O' ?

Non O If your name is on the birth certificate of the child. In order to do a extension of stay based on support of a Thai national. You will need to go to court to win custody. Hence it’s best to get a one year multi entry at the Consulate by showing the birth certificate. It’s up to the embassy.

2. Having 3 consequtive stamps in my passport, would I be able to get a tourist visa in Singapore? This would keep me going until xmas when I plan to go back to the uk and get the right visa.

Hard question. You may be better to try on the "O: visa first. At least if they see you support a child they are more apt to give you a visa.

As for the work from home. This is very sensitive issue as if the Labor Dept knocks on your door. No way they can prove anything if you click away from the computer screen. This is directly the words from the Labor Dept last week. Still if you are working in Thailand, you need a work permit. Something to be aware of.

If I may, If I understand correctly, this new enforcement commences at october 1st, but it includes previous entries, I entered Thailand on July 22, did two more entries and left August 18, I was in the country for about 20 days. Of course since these are three entries, am I correct in assuming that I cannot return to Thailand (without a valid Tourist Visa) for 90 days ?

You are correct.

Ok - so how will my situation be when I live in Laos (full 1 year visa) and just drive over to Thailand to do some shopping and building supplies etc?

Whilst were starting off building the house I might drive over there 3 times in one week! I don't want to get a long term visa (since I have no reason to want stay there!).

Even if you enter Thailand for 10 minutes, it counts as 30 days.

I'm guessing I'll just have to go to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane - and as I've got a full multi entry 1 year visa to Laos they should just dish out a visa?

If you have a visa, then this does not apply to you.

do you know if it will still be possible to get a one-week extension on a VOA ?

yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

A Just wants to retire in Thailand, with the occasional trip home to see the kids ?

If you are over 50 years old, no problem on the extension of stay based on retirement.

Otherwise it may mean

1. The Thai Elite card.

2. Multiple Entry Visa

3. Extension of stay based on Education ( Go to school)

4. Extension of stay based on business (Have a business that you do exporting) You can own 100% as a foreigner and get a work permit. Must be a real company doing business.

B Just wants to buy/rent a property in retirement ?

You can buy as long as its a condo. You can buy the building as a freehold and rent land as a leasehold ( or servitude with right of habitation, usufruct and superficies)

C wants to live there legaly and have the corect visa ?

see above

has a pension from the UK in a UK bank (HSBC)

Helps if you are over 50 years old.

E has no intension of working or getting a Thai bride and is married to a British wife (NOT Thai)

Still all applied. Extension of stay based on business ( You can get a work permit and still just sign checks without working as long as you have a good mgr) This option of course has risks. Not all businesses make money!

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

THANK YOU very much for your help, VERY much appreciated

I'm 56, and have been mulling the idea over for a few years, was kinda hoping to buy something with a garden rather than a condo, just so the kids could bring their kids over and give em somewhere to play

AND as I'm a plumber here in the UK, wont be much chance of doing a bit of private work in the condo :o

That's clear then :o Since i got more than 4 30-day exemption stamps within the last six month I guess I have to get a tourist visa next time when my leave is due.

I'm working in Saudi at the moment but I'm not 100% sure Thailand still has a embassy or consulate here.

Well not really since the new visa rules only come in to effect from 1st October so next to your go will be you first under these rules.

I am coming to Thailand on Sep 26. I have a 60 day tourist visa which I can extend for 30 days. Does that 90 days count as my quota or am I able to get 90 more days by doing 3 visa runs?

The first 90 days do not count towards your quota. ( you had a 60 day visa plus extension)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

That would also seem to answer my earlier question

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=890466

to which Chanchao and Bendix were good enough to reply - thanks folks. :D:o

Mike

I'm 56, and have been mulling the idea over for a few years, was kinda hoping to buy something with a garden rather than a condo, just so the kids could bring their kids over and give em somewhere to play

Sounds like a nice dream. Best is to rent at this time till the dust settles down.

You should have no problem with a pension of getting a retirement visa. Our company will be happy to help you.

Best of luck with the dream for the kids.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Well not really since the new visa rules only come in to effect from 1st October so next to your go will be you first under these rules.

Sunbelt's already stated that entry on or after 1 October will be determined by the number of 30-day entries in the preceding 6 months, so meom will have to get a tourist visa.

Scouse.

I'm not to sure about that. Seems to me they will start counting the stamps from 1st October including previous stamps.

If they really start from 1st October no problem; i get the first stamp in October, 2nd stamp in December when I'm due for leave again.

Then the new year starts so the count start from one again?

Edited by meom

Oh it is great to be 50+ year old male with a retirement visa living correctly in the LOS.

Where as before many on here looked down on us so called oldies and said we losers and only here for the young girls because we couldn't get a lady over seas. How the world changers.

Most not all of us, are nothing like that, we respect the laws of this country, times are a changing for you so called young men. Do it the right way and all will be well. If not move on to where the rules are more laxed.

I understand there will be some problems for some, but in your heart of hearts, you knew you were bending the rules as you stepped on the buses that took you over the borders.

I wish you all luck in getting over your problems :o

I wish you all luck in getting over your problems :D

here here :D

Great posts, fellahs. Really helpful, insightful and perspicatious. We really must not meet up for a beer sometime.

Sounds like a nice dream. Best is to rent at this time till the dust settles down.

You should have no problem with a pension of getting a retirement visa. Our company will be happy to help you.

Best of luck with the dream for the kids.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The idea was to rent for 6 months or so, just to get our foot in the door, so to speak, but this all blew up and kind of confused things

The kids have got their own homes in the UK and jobs, so they would only visit, twice a year

nearer the =time I get the okay from my company that I'm too old for them, I'll take up your offer getting my retirement visa :o

If I may, If I understand correctly, this new enforcement commences at october 1st, but it includes previous entries, I entered Thailand on July 22, did two more entries and left August 18, I was in the country for about 20 days. Of course since these are three entries, am I correct in assuming that I cannot return to Thailand (without a valid Tourist Visa) for 90 days ?

You are correct.

LOL, better apply for a multiple entry Tourist Visa then, I might want to go to Laos in the beginning of my holiday. Otherwise I might be stuck in Laos :o

Could someone clarify:

For those workers who work in the middle/far east (oilfield or otherwise) who work a 28/28 work cycle and enter Thailand on a 30 day visit visa at an airport be exempt from these rules?

In other words: is this new proposal overland 30 day entry visa stamps only?

I'm not to sure about that. Seems to me they will start counting the stamps from 1st October including previous stamps.

Yes. But, if you have a 60 day or 90 day visa, then this does not count against your quota.

If they really start from 1st October no problem; i get the first stamp in October, 2nd stamp in December when I'm due for leave again.

Then the new year starts so the count start from one again?

The New Year does not start the count to zero.

Could someone clarify:

For those workers who work in the middle/far east (oilfield or otherwise) who work a 28/28 work cycle and enter Thailand on a 30 day visit visa at an airport be exempt from these rules?

In other words: is this new proposal overland 30 day entry visa stamps only?

They apply to everyone at all immigration points including the airport.

However lets go thru the cycle

First Stamp 28 days in Thailand counts as 30 days

28 days work

Second stamp 28 days in Thailand counts as 30 days

28 days work

Third stamp 28 days in Thailand counts as 30 days

28 days work

On the forth trip, they will need a visa or wait 14 days. it is around 5.5 months in this total cycle.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Ok - so how will my situation be when I live in Laos (full 1 year visa) and just drive over to Thailand to do some shopping and building supplies etc?

Whilst were starting off building the house I might drive over there 3 times in one week! I don't want to get a long term visa (since I have no reason to want stay there!).

Even if you enter Thailand for 10 minutes, it counts as 30 days.

I'm guessing I'll just have to go to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane - and as I've got a full multi entry 1 year visa to Laos they should just dish out a visa?

If you have a visa, then this does not apply to you.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

This IS SOOOOOO rediculous!! & By now i understand why ! it simply WON"T happen that way !

i'm sure there's terrible missunderstanding !! Neither Malaysians, nor Laos need thai visas & ESPECIALLY south of thailand LIVES OFF VISITING MALAYSIANS ! so it sounds VERY incredible 2 ever happen. Probably they will actually count the length of stay ! otherwise >LOS will turn into Hermit Kingdom in a matter of days , with all the consequences !

Edited by asiaworld

I dont have too much of a problem with the reson behind all of this... I guess the Thais are simply trying to improve things. What pisses me off however is the typical nature in which this news was delivered - 2 weeks notice! Surely they could have provided at least a few months notice? Jeez, talk about last minute preasure.

Sunbelt Asia - great help, as usual. Thanks very much for the support and advice here.

Recently I purchased a condo in the area, sent the money over from the uk. Went to immigration last week and asked for a investment visa. They explained that I needed 3,000,000bht money in condo payments or in the bank and proof that the money had arrived from a foreign country. They told me to put the money in the Krung Thai bank as it was in the TMB. I went to the TMB got a cheque for the money and then opened an account at the Krung Thai bank depositing the cashers cheque. I also got a letter from the TMB stating that the money had come from the UK.

Next day went back to the immigration office with the bank book, condo papers, letter from the bank, passport etc. When I gave the documents to the inspector I was told I had opened the wrong bank account with the Krung Thai bank. I had opened a savings account, what I needed was a fixed rate account. So back to the Krung thai bank. (this was Friday). Opened a new account and moved the money. I didn’t manage to get back to immigration today and was horrified when I got back and read this new information.

In the morning I will be back at soi 5 immigration and will once again apply for the investment visa. As I know it is the last chance to get one. It is also the main reason for purchasing the condo. I am late 30’s have an income from abroad but did not wont to do the visa runs etc. I shall report back tomorrow evening with hopefully positive news. But either way what ever the out come I will let you know.

I have looked at the rules for long term staying in Thailand and have worked within all the rules. I feel frustrated by the changes and uncertainty that we all face. Presently I have an O visa, so really the changes are not that important for me, but for many here I can see this to be a terrible event and really feel for people that will not be able to get the correct type of visa to stay long term.

....so !

I just have to get a new Passport, grow a beard and add a new middle name, just to ensure they do not confuse me with the picture of my bother they have on file.

Didn't "they" say the new airport immigration checks would take less than 20 seconds...

"Hey - look up it's a Norfolk Long Back !"