Buriram on guard against dengue fever during transition period into rainy season

webfact

Buriram on guard against dengue fever during transition period into rainy season

BURIRAM, 2 June 2015 (NNT) – The provincial public health office in Buriram is warning residents in all districts to guard against the spread of dengue fever during the transition period into the rainy season.

Dr. Somphong Charungchittanuson, head of the Buriram public health office, said 94 persons in the province have, since the beginning of the year, been hospitalized due to dengue fever. Patients were found in 15 of the province's 23 districts. No death has been reported.

The age group with the highest number of patients was the 10-14 age group. The age group with the second-highest number of patients was the 5-9 age group.

According to Dr. Somphong, the number of cases is expected to increase. Public relations efforts are being made to encourage locals to use Abate sand granules and spray insecticide to combat mosquitoes. Home visits are also being arranged so officials and volunteers would be able to inform each household of methods to eliminate mosquito larvae.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-02 footer_n.gif

As I write, there's a guy from the Teseban fogging my estate in Bang Saray (62 houses). The service is free. Of course a chain is only as strong as its weakest link and that of course is dog owners. A number of owners refuse to open their gates lest their pampered pooches get a cough and to hell with the children who may contract dengue thanks to their selfishness and ignorance.

A timely reminder of this seasonal scourge. I don't think that this year is being flagged as a 'peak' year for dengue in the region like it was (if I recall correctly?) in 2011. Reminders to watch out for daytime mosquito activity and be very careful of the young, elderly and those in between with any pre-existing medical conditions that can make it more serious.

1. Dengue fever's most common symptoms include:

• Sudden chills and pain around the eyes;

2. High fever, up to 104° F / 40° C;

Headaches, muscle pain and neck pain;

Unexplained lethargy, loss of appetite;

Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea;

Skin rash that usual starts around the abdomen and upper torso.

Please see:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/healthpoint/November-2011/Dengue-Fever-in-Thailand--Important-Things-to-Know

• Dengue fever's most common symptoms include:

• Sudden chills and pain around the eyes;
  • High fever, up to 104° F / 40° C;
  • Headaches, muscle pain and neck pain;
  • Unexplained lethargy, loss of appetite;
  • Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea;
  • Skin rash that usual starts around the abdomen and upper torso.

Please see:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/healthpoint/November-2011/Dengue-Fever-in-Thailand--Important-Things-to-Know

Remember numbers 3,4 & 5 very well. A horrible illness. It lasted for about a week for me in Surin. Bit like having a very bad Flu without a cold.