New work permit rules in border provinces

My HR Director returned today from the Ministry to renew my work permit (5th renewal) and informed me that they now require 10 working days to approve a renewal. Apparently it is a new rule for provinces next to borders. In all past years the work permit is renewed on the same day.

My Non-Immigrant B visa expires in 4 days. I have no idea what to do as I cannot apply for the visa extension without the renewed work permit.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do other than leaving the country and applying for a brand new Non-Immigrant B visa. I do not want an overstay.

The HR director went to renew the WP at the local labour office. We call it the Ministry of Labour here. It is the same place she has renewed it for 5 years in a row. We are in a border province. She later called the Bankok Labour office and they confirmed that border provinces now have new rules.

The HR director went to renew the WP at the local labour office. We call it the Ministry of Labour here. It is the same place she has renewed it for 5 years in a row. We are in a border province. She later called the Bankok Labour office and they confirmed that border provinces now have new rules.

This still sounds "Odd"

Perhaps if some indication of the work/job involved would assist understanding and the possible provision of advise ..........

"I have no idea what to do as I cannot apply for the visa extension without the renewed work permit. "

Confused about that as I can not apply for my WP renewal until I get the 1 year extension from immigration based on work first. Been that way for many years at least in Chiang Mai.

The OP's employer should at least have the A5 sized WP5 Receipt once the WP renewal papers have been filed for renewal.

In my area Labour (who are not idiots) know that the renewal process takes time and will thus allow applicants to take the renewal receipt and actual WP/papers to immigration (to be immediately returned) for a fresh extension application.

Catch 22 resolved.

We have the A5 sized WP5, have taken it to Immigration and they say they cannot process the extention for the visa unless they have the renewed WP with the applicaiton. The WP5 is not enough. Here we must have the work permit renewed before we can apply for the visa extension. Clearly things are different in other locations like Chiang Mai and BKK.

So I go back to my original question - does anyone have a suggestion relating to my situation as I do not wish to get an overstay in my passport and also would prefer to not have to travel outside Thailand and apply for new Non-Immigrant B.

You can try to get a work permit approval letter from the labour office and see if immigration will accept that. (Normally required when applying for a non-B visa in a neighbouring country).

I see no other options.

We have the A5 sized WP5, have taken it to Immigration and they say they cannot process the extention for the visa unless they have the renewed WP with the applicaiton. The WP5 is not enough. Here we must have the work permit renewed before we can apply for the visa extension. Clearly things are different in other locations like Chiang Mai and BKK.

So I go back to my original question - does anyone have a suggestion relating to my situation as I do not wish to get an overstay in my passport and also would prefer to not have to travel outside Thailand and apply for new Non-Immigrant B.

Understood, looks like your local immigration department is either staffed in the main by dribbling idiots, or else perhaps they are still looking for that 'missing envelope' to quickly resolve this particular problem.

Obviously it is worthwhile talking to Labour and trying to get them to talk to immigration to help resolve this one (difficult as to all intent and purpose they might as well speak different languages).