Thailand slips nine places in rule-of-law global ranking

webfact

56 OUT 102
Thailand slips nine places in rule-of-law global ranking

WIRAJ SRIPONG
THE NATION

INDEX ALSO POINTS TO CITIZEN'S BASIC RIGHTS BEING AFFECTED SIGNIFICANTLY

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND'S global ranking on administration by law has slipped nine places to 56 out 102 countries this year from 47th out of 99 countries in 2014, according to the World Justice Project (WJP)'s 2015 Rule of Law Index.

In the East Asia-Pacific region, Thailand is ranked near the bottom at 11 out of 15 countries.

Singapore's rule-of-law performance put it at the top among Asean countries, followed by Malaysia. Cambodia was ranked the lowest in Asean both this year and last year.

Globally, Denmark leads the list of 102 countries in terms of government by law, while Venezuela came in the lowest.

Factors used to measure the ranking were: constraints on government powers, absence of corruption, open government, fundamental rights, order and security, regulatory enforcement, civil justice and criminal justice.

The index is based on a survey of over 100,000 households and 2,400 experts to figure out how law is applied and enforced in each country, with each nation scored on 47 indicators across eight categories.

Thailand's ranking dropped several places after last year's military coup. According to the WJP index, protection of Thai people's fundamental rights has been affected significantly, making it one of the most worrying issues when it comes to measuring the rule of law.

In terms of government powers, the Kingdom came in at 76th out of 102 countries, though it did better when it came to corruption, coming in at 29th globally - eighth out of 15 countries in region and seventh out of 31 higher-middle income countries.

The WJP index aims at creating an effective rule of law to reduce corruption, combat poverty and disease, and protect people from injustices, as well as ensuring there are more accountable governments and people's fundamental rights are respected.

The agency also encourages citizens and leaders from around the world to play a role and boost public awareness about the importance of the rule of law, while also promoting policy reforms and more on-the-ground development programmes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thailand-slips-nine-places-in-rule-of-law-global-r-30261483.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-03

The reason for the drop was not any radical change in corruption countrywide; it was due to civil rights being suspended and a minority preventing the majority from voting.

Whew, that's good to know. I was worried there for a bit. coffee1.gif Thailand is facing some tough competition in race for the bottom.

OMG, these statistics cool.png

Many people believe in statistics like in the bible (because ..... then you must not use your brain).

Factors used to measure the ranking were: constraints on government powers, absence of corruption, open government, fundamental rights, order and security, regulatory enforcement, civil justice and criminal justice.

So many factors (?) of the Yingluck government have been better than those of her successor facepalm.gif? Yes, it depends on the choosen "factors".

That is how statistic works for the believers:

1) The great majority of people have more than the average number of legs. Amongst the 57 million people in Britain there are probably 5,000 people who have only one leg. Therefore the average number of legs is (5000 x 1 leg + 56,995,000 x 2 legs) /57,000,000 = 1.9999123

2) I shoot 2 times at you. My first bullet misses your left ear by 5 cm, whereas my second bullet misses your right ear by the same distance of 5 cm.
Statistical result: my bullets struck you 2 times in the middle of your head

Edited by puck2

No, this can't be!!! A majority of TV members voted in the poll that things are improving in Thailand with the "new government"...there you have it, all you dimwitted nut cakes!!!

Quite enough of that.This news is confusing enough as it is for the self appointed "good" people.It's hard to stomach when you have presented yourself as a model of pristine virtue if the evidence presented suggests this government is catastrophically bad, far worse than its civilian democratic predecessors.

Many people believe in statistics like in the bible (because ..... then you must not use your brain).

So many factors (?) of the Yingluck government have been better than those of her successor facepalm.gif? Yes, it depends on the choosen "factors".

1) The great majority of people have more than the average number of legs. Amongst the 57 million people in Britain there are probably 5,000 people who have only one leg. Therefore the average number of legs is (5000 x 1 leg + 56,995,000 x 2 legs) /57,000,000 = 1.9999123

2) I shoot 2 times at you. My first bullet misses your left ear by 5 cm, whereas my second bullet misses your right ear by the same distance of 5 cm.

Using statistics to make a false or invalid argument does not make statistics wrong. Obviously, it's how you use or misuse/abuse them to make a bad argument that's the problem… An invalid argument is simply wrong but used all the time in politics to mislead people who cannot discern the falseness of the argument. Ergo, if you want to be a really astute commentator, you'll know how to address the difference between a valid and invalid argument....

1. Invalid argument: False conclusion - Conclusion that each person has 1.99 legs is based on the false premise that legs are distributed equally to everyone
  2. Invalid argument: False conclusion - The premises state that bullets miss each ear by 5 cm . Bullets by definition cannot strike the middle of head
Edited by arend

No, this can't be!!! A majority of TV members voted in the poll that things are improving in Thailand with the "new government"...there you have it, all you dimwitted nut cakes!!!

What a joke! That poll was rigged and I have no idea why a TV mod would ever have initiated it in the first place. You could say that things are improved and your vote got counted, or you could tell the truth and you post got snipped and not counted. I just wonder how many were snipped? The funny thing is that it was as rigged as all the similar government polls with which we are inundated. <deleted>?

Using statistics to make a false or invalid argument does not make statistics wrong. Obviously, it's how you use or misuse/abuse them to make a bad argument that's the problem… An invalid argument is simply wrong but used all the time in politics to mislead people who cannot discern the falseness of the argument. Ergo, if you want to be a really astute commentator, you'll know how to address the difference between a valid and invalid argument....

1. Invalid argument: False conclusion - Conclusion that each person has 1.99 legs is based on the false premise that legs are distributed equally to everyone
  2. Invalid argument: False conclusion - The premises state that bullets miss each ear by 5 cm . Bullets by definition cannot strike the middle of head

I used to be confused with statistics now I am really lost blink.png

I will stick to being onside with current law regardless of who makes it and whether I agree with it or not. And I am not looking for a free ride in a police vehicle. coffee1.gif

Thank you very much for your "academic" explanation of statistics, including "invalid argument".

You seem so focused on your science that you are not able to differentiate between jokes and reality. Maybe, in your scientic zeal you missed my real argument

If you exclude some important positive factors -as here in this statistic - the statistic itself may be true and real, but the result is rather questionable and biased. And that's the point you miss. In Germany we have a very sad joke for this: tell me the result (you want) and you'll ghet the corresponding statistic. To paraphrase it: with the chosen factors you can improve a lot (of bullsh$).

But, if these (manipulated) statistics are reflecting objectivity that's a different question.

Concerning my next statistic joke, I'll ask you in advance if it has "invalid argument"s.