Just Curious.

I am just curious to find out if one Thai policeman is allowed to book drivers or motorbike riders by himself. On only one occasion I

have seen a lone policeman booking a motorbike rider.

Many other times I have watched as a policeman allowed motorbike riders to not have a crash helmet on, riding up the wrong side of

the road etc, sometimes even two policemen, and done nothing about it.

They are said to be poorly paid, so would that not be an opportunity to get some tea money?

Or is it the case they can only book drivers and riders if the head policeman sends out a group of them for this purpose?

Your thoughts.

I don't think Thai law is like Scottish law for this type of summary offences, where by default one police officer needs another person to corroborate the deed.

Presumably Thai traffic police forces usually work in groups for practical purposes, like safety, avoiding slacking, and for reducing the burden of proof in case of litigation.

I think, one police man's account is sufficient to make a "booking".

Edited by Morakot

I think that they see so many, that if they stopped and booked everyone they see with no helmet, broken lights, bad driving...they'd get nothing else done.

The sheer volume of law breakers makes it impossible to stop them all.

I have seen the Police stop a random rider now and again, but it always seemed to be around lunchtime or dinner time....I wonder why.

I think that they see so many, that if they stopped and booked everyone they see with no helmet, broken lights, bad driving...they'd get nothing else done.

I have seen the Police stop a random rider now and again, but it always seemed to be around lunchtime or dinner time....I wonder why.

Your first sentence, what else do they do anyway? I'm not against Thai policemen, if I say anything negative, bribes etc, I'm only going by what I have read.

Anytime I have spoken to Thai policemen, they have always been very helpful and courteous. My BIL is a policeman, but he cannot speak English, and I only speak enough Thai

to get by. I cannot hold a conversation with him.

A rude response and others responding to it have been removed.

If the topic is of no interest or you have nothing of value to contribute, simply move on.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Moved to Motoring

Who cares. So what. Big deal.

Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't, if you are not interested, then just move on.

Read the bottom of his post.

it states i quote "Your thoughts"

That was my thoughts sorry so many are sensitive to it. He ask for thoughts I gave them. You guys chastise me for reply my thoughts. If you donot like the answer donot ask the question.

Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't, if you are not interested, then just move on.

That was my thoughts sorry so many are sensitive to it. He ask for thoughts I gave them. You guys chastise me for reply my thoughts. If you donot like the answer donot ask the question.

You mean you don't have any thoughts.

It appears to me that unless they have been given a specific command , ie man a road block and book everybody with no helmet, then they simply will not bother and look the other way........they have to be told otherwise Mai Ben Rai holds sway.

You mean you don't have any thoughts.

I should clarify here for those who like to judge. I read the post the first thoughts I had were what i posted. Like I said I am sorry if the over sensitive are offended.

So to end this part of the thread I will make a direct apology to the poster. Op I am sorry if you took offense to my first post it wasnot meant to anything else other than my thoughts. For the rest of you political correct guys no apology.

It appears to me that unless they have been given a specific command , ie man a road block and book everybody with no helmet, then they simply will not bother and look the other way........they have to be told otherwise Mai Ben Rai holds sway.

I wonder what they would do if they came across a bank robbery.

I wonder what they would do if they came across a bank robbery.

You think they'd give up an oppty to use the sidearm they had to pay for themselves? :P

They are said to be poorly paid, so would that not be an opportunity to get some tea money?

Your question sounds more like an accusation than any quest for information.

A bit like asking someone if he's still beating his wife.

Policeman around the world, even in the hallowed west, find opportunities to line their pockets and they often act as they choose to with little regard to what they're "allowed" to do.

Do traffic police in Thailand seize the opportunity on occasion to exploit their authority? Did you really need to ask on Thai Visa?

Do they (and anyone else working for the government or organizations like FIFA) do so in the US, UK, Germany, Australia ... despite being fairly well paid?

Would you feel the need to ask the same question in any of those countries for any other purpose than to imply that you knew full well it was going on?

How rude you are!

The OP asked a normal question.

Is it just me...

I don't see the post by "lovelomsak" at all. This isn't the first time posts have disappeared.

Your first sentence, what else do they do anyway? I'm not against Thai policemen, if I say anything negative, bribes etc, I'm only going by what I have read.

Anytime I have spoken to Thai policemen, they have always been very helpful and courteous. My BIL is a policeman, but he cannot speak English, and I only speak enough Thai

Never had any bad interactions with Thai Police either.

The few times I have needed help, they have been accommodating.

Having paid a few "on the spot tickets" for things I freely admit I am in the wrong (speeding, expired registration), I have no issue with the "system".

However, I am a big advocate of helmet laws and welcome road blocks everywhere and people without helmets paying a X,000 baht fine and being given a helmet at then same time. If it saved just 1 life, it would be worth it. Same with lights not working and drink driving...make the penalties hurt and work.

sorry one more thing. If he gives you a proper ticket, 50% of the money will go to the government, 50% into the pot that police will share as per standard rules for police tickets. If he doesn't give you a ticket, he will pocket 100% of the money for himself.

Also you have additional rights:

1) you can ask for a proper ticket as I outlined above

2) if you disagree with the ticket, you can insist in going to the police station.

My personal advice to you: avoid problems with the police. Sometimes you have to pay something which may not look fair to you, but it's still better than getting into trouble with the police.

Hope this helps.

Never had any bad interactions with Thai Police either.

The few times I have needed help, they have been accommodating.

Having paid a few "on the spot tickets" for things I freely admit I am in the wrong (speeding, expired registration), I have no issue with the "system".

However, I am a big advocate of helmet laws and welcome road blocks everywhere and people without helmets paying a X,000 baht fine and being given a helmet at then same time. If it saved just 1 life, it would be worth it. Same with lights not working and drink driving...make the penalties hurt and work.

Good post, but sometimes a tail light can go out while your driving at night, and you are not going to know about it.

I don't think you would be happy about a fine for that.

the answer is yes. A policeman alone can issue a ticket. It is perfectly legal.

OK Robert, but living in a small town up in the sticks, I often see lone policemen ignoring motorbike riders not

wearing crash helmets or riding up the wrong side of the road.

I thought that would be an opportunity for tea money.

OK Robert, but living in a small town up in the sticks, I often see lone policemen ignoring motorbike riders not

sure. And if they don't give proper tickets, they will keep the money. Not only in small towns out in nowhere but also in Bankgok.

There are some countries like this - there are pros and cons to this. My view is make the best out of it, if you have to pay a small ticket even if it's unfair, I will pay it. It's not the end of the world.

Sometimes you should think about how much you have to pay in other countries for speeding tickets or even parking tickets.

sure. And if they don't give proper tickets, they will keep the money. Not only in small towns out in nowhere but also in Bankgok.

There are some countries like this - there are pros and cons to this. My view is make the best out of it, if you have to pay a small ticket even if it's unfair, I will pay it. It's not the end of the world.

Sometimes you should think about how much you have to pay in other countries for speeding tickets or even parking tickets.

I agree with you, I was just curious about the reports I am always reading about the police in Thailand and tea money. I has never happened to me.

It seems that where tea money is concerned, it is only when a group of policemen are stopping traffic when it happens, not when there is only one or two there.