Thai govt combats drought with rain-summoning ceremony

webfact

Thai Govt Combats Drought With Rain-Summoning Ceremony
By Khaosod English

14333109251433311532l.jpg
A rain-summoning ceremony at the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives in Bangkok on 2 June 2015.

BANGKOK — Thailand's military government turned to supernatural forces yesterday in an effort to stave off the annual droughts that occur during Thailand's dry season.

Chavalit Chookajorn, Permanent Secretary of Agriculture and Cooperatives, presided over a traditional Thai ceremony asking Phra Pirun - the god of rain in Hindi beliefs - to bless the Kingdom with rain.

The Secretary was assisted by Sorajja Nual-yu, a well-known astrologer who styles himself as "Thailand's Nostradamus."

Speaking to reporters today, Chavalit said Sorajja, who used to work at the Ministry of Agriculture, warned that a severe drought is imminent.

"Brother Chui has the sixth sense," Chavalit said, referring to Sorajja by his nickname. "He told me that there will certainly be a drought this year. So he wanted the Ministry to conduct a ceremony to ask for rain."

Thailand experiences droughts every year during dry season, which lasts from November to April.

"Personally, I think it's a good thing," Chavalit said, in reference to the ceremony. "It's not a superstition. It doesn't hurt if we do the ceremony. It's about finding something your spirit can hold on to."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1433310925

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-03

The Secretary was assisted by Sorajja Nual-yu, a well-known astrologer who styles himself as "Thailand's Nostradamus."

The Secretary went on to say Sorajja won 234 consecutive lotteries before he was banned from playing the lottery.

Edited by Pimay1

I can't believe Govt officials are wasting their time with this hokum.

I mean really. This is like reading a story from The Onion.

Govt officials are not wasting their time, they are doing the only thing they are able to do. Remember Thailand is a third world with a third world Govt officials.

The Secretary went on to say Sorajja won 234 consecutive lotteries before he was banned from playing the lottery.

Now that makes him an expert!

But before any Thai bashing takes place- let's all be happy they don't sacrifice virgins anymore to summon rain.

But before any Thai bashing takes place- let's all be happy they don't sacrifice virgins anymore to summon rain.

Only coz they're near impossible to find.

quote start----"Brother Chui has the sixth sense," Chavalit said, referring to Sorajja by his nickname. "He told me that there will certainly be a drought this year. So he wanted the Ministry to conduct a ceremony to ask for rain." Thailand experiences droughts every year during dry season, which lasts from November to April.-----quote end

Brother Chui is the man! Chavalit and Brother Chui together are the new rainmaking think tank of Thailand. Gotta go check my fridge. Only 2 bottles of beer left. I predict a drought from 7 pm onwards.

Only because they can't find any!!

Thinks this worked.. it rained today.. should have one everyday.

A dark gloom appeared in the west today , by 3.30 the rains came . By 3.40 the rains ceased . Never mind the rain summoning ceremony must of taken a somtam break. keep it up lads try to get it to rain before the rainy season starts in 2 weeks. Gosh ,here it comes.

post-232120-0-25595700-1433325830_thumb.