Thai govt combats drought with rain-summoning ceremony

webfact

The Secretary was assisted by Sorajja Nual-yu, a well-known astrologer who styles himself as "Thailand's Nostradamus."

The Secretary went on to say Sorajja won 234 consecutive lotteries before he was banned from playing the lottery.

Now that makes him an expert!

But before any Thai bashing takes place- let's all be happy they don't sacrifice virgins anymore to summon rain.

They gave that practice away as it was very difficult to find a Virgin in Thailand

The Secretary was assisted by Sorajja Nual-yu, a well-known astrologer who styles himself as "Thailand's Nostradamus."

The Secretary went on to say Sorajja won 234 consecutive lotteries before he was banned from playing the lottery.

Now that makes him an expert!

But before any Thai bashing takes place- let's all be happy they don't sacrifice virgins anymore to summon rain.

No, just to summon footballers.

If Phra Pirun doesn't come through they can always call the professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2e1515l7Tc

No society ever thrived because it had a large and growing class of parasites living off those who produce.. Thomas Sowell. I find this quote rather funny. Things are really reversed now the rich are now parasites feeding off of the middle and lower classes. They bleed so much off of us its a wonder we can survive. They pay themselves astronomical salaries like 330 to 1 annual salary. Years ago executives made 30 to 1 annual workers wage. The rich are getting way more than their fair share and shipping their money off shore to low taxation sites. You quote Henry Ford well he devised the assembly line system and paid his workers more than other employers and priced his car for the masses. The super rich today only want to pay their workers low wages no benefits no pensions and a come to work when we need you system. They want to produce their goods with cheap labor yet still sell it for a universal price world wide. Well its pretty easy to see why more and more workers are on the dole. Why don't you drop this stupid quote from the bottom of your page. Its way outdated.

I can't believe Govt officials are wasting their time with this hokum.

I mean really. This is like reading a story from The Onion.

Govt officials are not wasting their time, they are doing the only thing they are able to do. Remember Thailand is a third world with a third world Govt officials.

well I was under the impression that Thailand was the world-leading expert patent-holding super-hub in cloud seeding.....

maybe the plane is in the service hangar again awaiting repairs.

Edited by bangon04

This just shows how entrenched "Supernatural Forces" are in Thai culture.

They even buy new cars and paint the inside of the roof to bless it. You and I know that does nothing, but we are not from Thailand. The important thing is they believe it and who am I to question it. They are Thai's, it is their belief and I am in their country.

It is like a Thai coming to Australia and telling me to bless the car and if I don't bless it they tell me I am crazy. I would tell them if they don't like what I do then they can go back to Thailand.

Same applies here.

NB - After yesterday's huge storm in Khon Kaen that shut the power down in our area maybe this ceremony does actually work...They might belief it so who are we to question them in their country.

A really nice effort. Who cares what the ceremony is about?

It's an occassion for the boss to get the employees away from the workplace and enjoy each other's company. This is a great team building exercise. It might be expanded to include a crop harvest ceremony for each kind of crop grown in Thailand. wai2.gif

If Phra Pirun doesn't come through they can always call the professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2e1515l7Tc

No society ever thrived because it had a large and growing class of parasites living off those who produce.. Thomas Sowell. I find this quote rather funny. Things are really reversed now the rich are now parasites feeding off of the middle and lower classes. They bleed so much off of us its a wonder we can survive. They pay themselves astronomical salaries like 330 to 1 annual salary. Years ago executives made 30 to 1 annual workers wage. The rich are getting way more than their fair share and shipping their money off shore to low taxation sites. You quote Henry Ford well he devised the assembly line system and paid his workers more than other employers and priced his car for the masses. The super rich today only want to pay their workers low wages no benefits no pensions and a come to work when we need you system. They want to produce their goods with cheap labor yet still sell it for a universal price world wide. Well its pretty easy to see why more and more workers are on the dole. Why don't you drop this stupid quote from the bottom of your page. Its way outdated.

Both quotes are relevant and applicable not only in the US but worldwide. Thomas Sowell's quote is certainly not outdated. It is referring to the prevaling entitlement mentality in the US.The latest figures which are from 2011 shows 49.2 percent of the population received government benifits. I'm certain iis higher than that currently.

You have tried to turn this into a class warfare quote which it isn't.

In another news, Mr. P. asks people not to believe in a fortune tellers prediction.... I am confounded; bewildered; confused; perplexed.

Good point. We can only hope he didn't know and is as nonplussed as most of us Farangs seem to be at this news item. It would be as funny as hell if was somewhere else, other than the country I call home now.

Edited by The Deerhunter