C.O.P.D.

swerving

Does anyone have or know someone who has COPD here in Phuket? With the number of smokers i have seen here over the yesrs, there must be quite a few.

Recently diagnosed myself so i am interested in chatting to fellow sufferers, swopping informaion, medications etc. Maybe forming a help group as they do in the UK and USA.

For those that don't know....and i didn't, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a terminal illness caused in the main by smoking. 1 in 4 male and 1 in 6 female smokers will die from it.

I live near pattaya and have had COPD for a few years. I does,nt really affect me unless I do something strenuous like walking uphill for periods of 5 mins or more.

I can only cycle on the flat as well, so you are limited physically, depending your lung capacity, ie less than 50%, walking is enough.

I think living in this climate is better for me than living in the UK. I do go back every year for a check up and review meds.

I am not sure if you die from COPD, more likely something that could be related to it.

Eat healthy, exercise and keep your weight down and you,ll be ok for many more years.

PS, I,d be more concerned about my health driving on the roads in Thailand!

I live near pattaya and have had COPD for a few years. I does,nt really affect me unless I do something strenuous like walking uphill for periods of 5 mins or more.

I can only cycle on the flat as well, so you are limited physically, depending your lung capacity, ie less than 50%, walking is enough.

I think living in this climate is better for me than living in the UK. I do go back every year for a check up and review meds.

I am not sure if you die from COPD, more likely something that could be related to it.

Eat healthy, exercise and keep your weight down and you,ll be ok for many more years.

PS, I,d be more concerned about my health driving on the roads in Thailand!

I already eat well and have started juicing, exercise not so easy as i am waiting for a hip replacement. There is a very good forum in the UK linked to the British Lung Foundation called health unlocked....lots of good information on there.

It is a terminal illness with around 30,000 people dying of it each year in the uk, but it is a slow disease...unless you are unlucky. One guy went from Stage 1 to stage 4 in 4 years.

Another guy was diagnosed in 1985....30 years ago, he is now in his 80's but is on oxygen 24/7.

You are right though you won't necessarily die from it, but you will die with it....cancer, heart attack, car accident....the way they drive here now the latter is probably the most risky.

Best thing i did was stop smoking.

So you have your check up and meds in the UK? Interesting as i am going there in August. One of my concerns is that once i hit 70 my insurance company will not cover me especially if they know i am copd and there is no way i could afford to pay out of my own pocket, so it looks as though i will have to expatriate back to the UK sometime in the next 8 years.

I went to the Asthma clinic for my annual check up a few years ago when the nurse said, you here for your COPD review? I did,nt know I had it, whatever that was,

had it for a number of years they said, could,nt or would,nt say why they had,nt told me!! So I,ve had it for 7-8 yrs now and the only way it affects me is when I am back in the uk fell walking in the lakes or dales.

Anyway I never took out health insurance in Thailand as it is to expensive, any thing major I will fly back to the uk. I go back to the uk ever year, sometimes more than once. I get all my med needs sorted and prescripts posted out to me.

I guess if it gets that bad you are bed ridden and need oxygen the best place to be is back home in the uk.

I was a smoker as well, gave up 18 yrs ago.

I don,t know anyone here with COPD, although I see a lot of people who look like they have it, all smokers as well.