Time Thailand stubbed out this killer habit

webfact

EDITORIAL
Time Thailand stubbed out this killer habit

The Nation

The govt stands poised to strike a blow against a ruthless industry

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet last week endorsed a tougher law on tobacco products and protections for non-smokers. The draft bill will now be sent to the National Legislative Assembly for ratification.

More than 10.9 million people have signed a petition launched by the National Alliance for Tobacco-free Thailand, calling on the Assembly to pass the draft into law.

The bill, set to replace two laws on the books since 1992, would raise the minimum legal age for buying cigarettes from 18 to 20 and increase the maximum fine for lighting up in a no-smoking zone from Bt2,000 to Bt5,000.

Those caught selling tobacco to customers under 20 would face up to one year in jail and a maximum fine of Bt20,000, up from the current one-month jail term and Bt2,000 fine. The law would also make it more difficult to advertise tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes and hookahs.

Noting that more than 50,000 people die of smoking-related illnesses in Thailand each year, Alliance president Professor Somsri Paosawat said the Cabinet's endorsement of the bill was an "important present to Thai children and the Thai people" on World No Tobacco Day, which fell last Sunday.

Aside from the deadly consequences, our tobacco habit also imposes a huge financial burden on the country. An estimated Bt46 billion in state funds is spent each year on treating victims of smoking-related illnesses, according to the Thai Health Professional Alliance against Tobacco.

Thailand has enjoyed success in controlling smoking in public places. Thanks to an effective anti-smoking campaign and a law to protect non-users, the habit has largely been confined to outdoor areas and designated zones.

However, a rise in the number of new smokers is causing concern. Figures suggest that the habit is gaining ground among the younger generation. The average age of first-time smokers dropped from 16.8 in 2007 to 15.6 last year, according to a survey by the National Statistical Office. The survey placed the estimated number of smokers in Thailand at 11.4 million, 10 million of whom are regular smokers.

Statistics show that seven in every 10 Thais who take up the habit as youngsters remain smokers for life, according to Dr Nattawut Kaewsuttha of Srinakharinwirot University's Faculty of Dentistry.

In a Public Health Ministry survey conducted last year among 3,532 primary-school pupils aged 8 to 12, 22 per cent said their friends smoked, while 40 per cent admitted to having bought cigarettes for adult smokers.

Tobacco use is estimated to have caused 100 million deaths in the 20th century. The United Nations' World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that, if current trends continue, that figure could rise to one billion deaths this century.

"Public health is engaged in a pitched battle against a ruthless industry. [The] WHO and its partners are showing the ends the tobacco industry goes to in the search for profits, including on the black market and by ensnaring new targets, including young children, to expand its deadly trade," said Dr Douglas Bettcher, director of the agency's Department for the Prevention of Non-communicable Diseases.

However, the theme of the WHO campaign for this year's World No Tobacco Day - "Stop Illicit Trade of Tobacco Products" - failed to hit the target. The effort should instead have been focused on reducing the number of current users and preventing children from becoming smokers.

Prompted by the WHO campaign, a Thai executive at a multinational tobacco company has warned that the tough new tobacco law could trigger an influx of counterfeit cigarettes that would reduce excise revenue for the government.

With more and more older smokers either quitting over health concerns or succumbing to smoking-related diseases, tobacco companies are looking for new customers. Naturally, their main target is youngsters.

The new tobacco law will serve as a shield against these ruthless commercial interests and, as such, deserves the support of the public and the authorities. By discouraging youngsters from taking up the habit, we can protect them against the devastating illnesses that arrive in its wake and divert the huge portion of state funds spent on treating such illnesses to more worthy ends.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Time-Thailand-stubbed-out-this-killer-habit-30261571.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-04

Maybe instead harsher laws more friendly approach like lower prices on aids to help smokers quit would be in line.Smoking is an addiction If help in price being lowered on aids to aid in beating the addiction where out there Might be less smokers. say cigarettes cost 90 baht aid to help to quit cost 300 baht which is cheaper? Which would you buy? Since money is huge issue here why not figure smokers who signup on government backed program to quit smoking attend classes to help quit get cheap aids to help If smoker ends quitting they get 30,000 baht to use as they please one time thing after 5 year program totally ban tobacco products in country. Thus making Thailand worlds first smoke free country. The costs saved from medical care alone would cover it.

hard when they light up in restaurants and the owners simply tell you to move away rather than upset the smokers. Also difficult when they break down packets and sell them individually to people that dont have the money to buy a full packet. Definitely need the laws enforced but thats like everything else in Thailand, laws are there but the police refuse to enforce them.

I was talking to a young Thai who told me he was finding it very difficult to stop smoking as it was legitimised by being government owned - 'TTM is one of the most profitable state enterprises, returning substantial revenues to the state treasury' Wikipedia' - Perhaps these hypocrites could start there. Just a thought.

hard when they light up in restaurants and the owners simply tell you to move away rather than upset the smokers. Also difficult when they break down packets and sell them individually to people that dont have the money to buy a full packet. Definitely need the laws enforced but thats like everything else in Thailand, laws are there but the police refuse to enforce them.

hard when they light up in restaurants and the owners simply tell you to move away rather than upset the smokers

I have not seen that for a very long time even in Thailand

I don't think smokers realize how disgusting non-smokers think their habit is. That vile smell that insidiously creeps under doors and across hotel balconies, the coughing up of mucus that smokers have to do every morning. Either ban it or put the price up by a 100 baht a pack. And keep these social pariahs the hell away from me.

Perhaps they might to consider the apparent ban on Ecigs. There are plenty of non nicotine fluids available.

OK, the fluids will contain some substances that maybe harmful,buy at least they wont have the 120 additions that go into tobacco.

A report from W.H.O stated that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die."

I guess the other two apparently become immortal........................coffee1.gif

So if my mate gets cancer, will me and my other mate know we have become immortal and can drink, smoke forever.

Wow

Maybe instead harsher laws more friendly approach like lower prices on aids to help smokers quit would be in line.Smoking is an addiction If help in price being lowered on aids to aid in beating the addiction where out there Might be less smokers. say cigarettes cost 90 baht aid to help to quit cost 300 baht which is cheaper? Which would you buy? Since money is huge issue here why not figure smokers who signup on government backed program to quit smoking attend classes to help quit get cheap aids to help If smoker ends quitting they get 30,000 baht to use as they please one time thing after 5 year program totally ban tobacco products in country. Thus making Thailand worlds first smoke free country. The costs saved from medical care alone would cover it.

Sadly, the aids don't work. The only effective way is cold turkey. I know I did it that way. Unbelievable for some but true. It's brutal the first 24-72 hours, but after a week it really does get better .The nicotine and the deviant behaviour has to be avoided and the nicotine delivered by patch or gum doesn't do the trick. The pills have nasty side effects. I know I tried the pills, patches and gum. Only the lozenges at a small dose can help in the beginning.

Also, it requires avoiding smokers. It means avoiding the bars for quite some time What would work better is the enforcement of the smoking bans in bars and clubs. More people don't smoke than smoke now anyway. I am amazed at how the rules are openly flaunted in Hua Hin and Phuket, with the worst offenders foreigners.

hard when they light up in restaurants and the owners simply tell you to move away rather than upset the smokers

I have not seen that for a very long time even in Thailand

In Patong, Ao Nang town, and much of Hua Hin's tourist zone. It's common.

I don't think smokers realize how disgusting non-smokers think their habit is. That vile smell that insidiously creeps under doors and across hotel balconies, the coughing up of mucus that smokers have to do every morning. Either ban it or put the price up by a 100 baht a pack. And keep these social pariahs the hell away from me.

What a pusillanimous, self-righteous, egocentric statement. If you drive a car or motorcycle, you create more noxious deadly fumes in fifteen minutes than an entire carton of Marlboros, adding hypocrisy to overwhelming megalomania.

And keep those social Nazis in the skinhead club where they belong. thumbsup.gif

You think wrong then. A lot of smokers realize their habit is antisocial. I used to be embarrassed getting on the crowded BTS because I was afraid the stench of cigarettes would be stuck to my clothing and yet I did not give up. When walking to and from the office I used to try my best to keep away from other pedestrians as I smoked because I did not want to invade their space. I realized that the vast majority of people do not like the smell and tried to respect that.

It is up to the individual whether or not they give up. Banning smoking is not an answer. They will find alternatives.

Luckily, I was able to quit and found it very easy to do so once I had got rid of the mindset that it was very difficult and that I did not have the will power.

Sadly, the aids don't work. The only effective way is cold turkey. I know I did it that way. Unbelievable for some but true. It's brutal the first 24-72 hours, but after a week it really does get better .The nicotine and the deviant behaviour has to be avoided and the nicotine delivered by patch or gum doesn't do the trick. The pills have nasty side effects. I know I tried the pills, patches and gum. Only the lozenges at a small dose can help in the beginning.

Also, it requires avoiding smokers. It means avoiding the bars for quite some time What would work better is the enforcement of the smoking bans in bars and clubs. More people don't smoke than smoke now anyway. I am amazed at how the rules are openly flaunted in Hua Hin and Phuket, with the worst offenders foreigners.

I really wanted to quit but thought I did not have the willpower. That changed with a single hypnosis session. No cravings whatsoever. Never have had to avoid other smokers. It was so easy I felt a total fool for having previously convinced myself it was too difficult for me. The answer is in really wanting to quit. Many are fooling themselves when they try to stop or do it halfheartedly.

Kudos to you for having succeeded, it is not easy for everyone. One of the best things I did was quitting. The absolute worst was starting in the first place.

Edited by GarryP

The pills are rubbish, Zyban and the other stuff. Just antidepressants messing with your brain. I used them but quit after about a week and did not smoke again. So they work but they made me feel strange and uncomfortable. I think it's all in your mind.

What a pusillanimous, self-righteous, egocentric statement. If you drive a car or motorcycle, you create more noxious deadly fumes in fifteen minutes than an entire carton of Marlboros, adding hypocrisy to overwhelming megalomania.

And keep those social Nazis in the skinhead club where they belong. thumbsup.gif

Ahh .. Now I know, that's where the contraction "pussi" comes from, ie, he is such a pussi ! Thanks Fang for the enlightenment.!

Alcahol leads to more deaths than smoking. How many road deaths during sonkran are related to booze. If someone walks past smoking a ciggie I am not bothered , but a pink ferlung clutching a bottle of Chang, gets right up my 'ooter. Oh I smoke about 10 fags a day and don't drink Chang Classic .

Wat about the price of cigarettes (and alcohol btw)?

And about fines for buying cigs for youths: a big 555, every mom n pop shop sells to kids are old enough to walk...

Enforcement is the magic word boys and girls!

Hold on there, Bam Bam. Dis all you want on tobacco, but you start talking trash about booze, we gonna have a problem!

rolleyes.gif

I was talking to a young Thai who told me he was finding it very difficult to stop smoking as it was legitimised by being government owned - 'TTM is one of the most profitable state enterprises, returning substantial revenues to the state treasury' Wikipedia' - Perhaps these hypocrites could start there. Just a thought.

And did you realize that this young thai has a brain of about a 5 year old for blaiming anyone else but himself for smoking?

Five years ago Bhutan banned tobacco products. At the same time they increased the health facilities to assist those smokers having difficulty quitting. Smoking is only permitted in designated areas which are few and far between. Smoking outside is totally forbidden.

OK Bhutan only has a population of 1 million, but if a small country tucked away in the Himalayas can do it perhaps they can shame other countries into trying to reduce this debilitating habit in their populations.

In Wester Australia only about 14% of people smoke and the health minister there stated that if the figure dropped below 10% he would seriously consider banning tobacco products altogether.

Quitting is NOT easy. I used the patch to quit some 20 yrs ago & it worked for me. They give them away for free in the U.S. If you are determined to quit, they help. But ....... you have to want to quit. It's not easy, but after a few weeks, the cravings do fade away. Can't say that there aren't times, even after 20 years, that I don't find myself thinking that 'just one' wouldn't hurt. But in a minute or two, after slapping myself, I realize what a stupid choice that would have been.

'... a law to protect non-users, the habit has largely been confined to outdoor areas and designated zones.' That helps, considerably. But why a maximum fine? Would a minimum one not be more logical?

'"Public health is engaged in a pitched battle against a ruthless industry.' Not to mention the dolts who, with all of the accrued medical evidence, built up over decades and widely advertised, choose to believe industry propaganda.

I don't think drinkers realize how disgusting non-drinker think their habit is. That vile smell of alcohol, vomit and urine insidiously creeps under doors and across hotel balconies, the dry heaves that drinkers have to do every morning. Either ban it or put the price up by a 100 baht a bottle. And keep these social pariahs the hell away from me.
I don't think people who eat junk food realize how disgusting non-junk food eaters think their habit is. That vile smell of saturated fats and oils, processed meats and chemical additives that insidiously creeps into my personal space., The burping and intestinal noises that junk food eaters have to do every morning. Either ban it or put the price up by a 100 baht a serving. And keep these social pariahs the hell away from me.
I don't think religious zealots realize how disgusting non-zealots think their habit is. The vile sounds they make that insidiously creep under doors, across hotel balconies and into public places.The babbling that zealots have to do every morning. Either ban them or put the price up by a 100 baht a babble. And keep these social pariahs the hell away from me.
...And on and on. Gather enough like minded people and I suppose one could tax and regulate most any behavior into oblivion.
While I may not like the social and personal habits of some, my thoughts tend to be more of tolerance and acceptance. In most instances, I am not in charge.
I do believe that the Live and Let Live philosophy is sometimes lost by those that believe that their version of living overrides the beliefs of others. As for me, do what you like. If I don't like it, I prefer to disengage and find a gentler space.

I have smoked for 66 years,7 months,1 week, 2 days and,,,, Hmn, 4 hours and haven't drawn 1 medical dollar by doing so. My excess tobacco taxes have helped build up, probably the largest single item work force in the world, built universities, hospitals,

put thousands to work in hospitals/research facilities, improved roads/highways and on, and on. Were this habit to be totally

banned who would employ some 1.2 million growers/processors/sales people/delivery people and tobacco researchers ? Globally, medical associations have acknowledged that OBESITY is the Number One health risk and medical expense and no one says all fat producing foods should be taxed/banned or even discussed. Money is what it is all about and health is secondary. 2nd. hand smoke figures are just that " Smoke and mirrors", conjured up by the same people who said alcohol/bacon & eggs/red meat could lead to an early death !

I do not smoke where prohibited not because of the laws but many/most non-smokers are not very gregarious, ( outgoing ), nor much fun to be around, ( lots are fat also), That being said, smoking is not a good habit but neither is stuffing your face with burgers and fries and the public pays your medical bills, erects elevators, supplies wheelchairs/handrails, etc., and most are to fat to work and pay taxes.

The defense rests !

To all you guys who have given it up, I salute you & applaud you.

But please, leave us alone

If I am seated near an annoying person who has had too much to drink, I move.

If I am seated near someone who is large and is crowding my space, I move.

If I am near people who are talking loudly on their cell phone, I move.

If the street is full of bars with music blaring, I move.

If I am near someone who is smoking and the ventilation is poor, I move.

Some people won't move unless they hear the call of nature.

Live and Let Live.