Five million digital TV coupons already exchanged for set-top boxes

webfact

Five million digital TV coupons already exchanged for set-top boxes

4-6-2558-13-27-40-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Over five million out of a total of 14.1 million digital TV coups distributed to households throughout the country have so far been exchanged for set-top boxes, said Mr Thakorn Tanthasathit, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

As of June 2, he said that the coupons could be used to exchange for hybrid set-top boxes which are capable of receiving ground-based DVB-T2 and satellite-based DVB-S2 signals.

Also the 690 baht worth of coupons can be used as a discount to buy digital TV sets or to buy more expensive boxes, he added.

As for consumers who have lost their coupons, Mr Thakorn advised them to notify the NBTC in writing enclosed with a copy of the household certificate, a copy of the ID card of the houseowner and a copy of the police notice confirming the loss of the coupons so that coupon substitutes will be issued by the NBTC to them.

He urged consumers to exchange their coupons for set-top boxes so that they can view high-definition TV programmes free of charge for up to 24 channels.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-million-digital-tv-coupons-already-exchanged-for-set-top-boxes

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-04

Only 5 million? Where are the millions if other coupons sent out to households yet never delivered?

Why, didn't you get yours then? Every household in our village was issued theirs. Perhaps they're scared to come round your house because you call yourself Peter the Eater. Edited by chasggg

Only 5 million? Where are the millions if other coupons sent out to households yet never delivered?

Why, didn't you get yours then? Every household in our village was issued theirs. Perhaps they're scared to come round your house because you call yourself Peter the Eater.

Nobody in our village has been issued with a voucher. However on Monday or Tuesday evening the Pu Yai Bans sidekick came around with a pickup truck full of set top boxes and issued 1 per household which my wife had to sign for.

The man couldn't seem to understand the term fallen off the back of a truck as I was inspecting the content of the carton I was trying to casually walk away with. Fortunately he is a friend and has a sense of humour even though I had to put the carton back.

We received a card in the post and had to go to the local sorting office/PO to pick up the voucher.

I am sure it has been covered before but how exactly are these used. The diagram on the other part of the voucher shows screens linked to the box and then to an external or interior aerial.

We have a Sophon cable TV connection but no external aerial - how would we use it?

We received a card in the post and had to go to the local sorting office/PO to pick up the voucher.

I am sure it has been covered before but how exactly are these used. The diagram on the other part of the voucher shows screens linked to the box and then to an external or interior aerial.

We have a Sophon cable TV connection but no external aerial - how would we use it?

The boxes are for Digital Terrestrial TV ( DVB-T2 ) you plug in an aerial old school but get nice clear digital picture and sound.

However,I assume you are in the Pattaya area ( Sophon Cable ) we will have to wait untill 1st December 2015 for the Pattaya and Siriacha transmitters to be turned on.

post-2109-0-07184700-1434013907_thumb.jp

A1 filler ststion switch on 262815733-กำหนดการขยายโครงข-ายโทรทัศน-ภาคพ

As of June 2, he said that the coupons could be used to exchange for hybrid set-top boxes which are capable of receiving ground-based DVB-T2 and satellite-based DVB-S2 signals

Has any one seen or have any information about these "Hybrid" boxes ????

The boxes are for Digital Terrestrial TV ( DVB-T2 ) you plug in an aerial old school but get nice clear digital picture and sound.

However,I assume you are in the Pattaya area ( Sophon Cable ) we will have to wait untill 1st December 2015 for the Pattaya and Siriacha transmitters to be turned on.

attachicon.gifPattaya Siracha switch on.jpg

attachicon.gifA1 filler ststion switch on 262815733-กำหนดการขยายโครงข-ายโทรทัศน-ภาคพ

Thanks especially for the switch on date.

So unless I am going to set up an aerial not much point?

As of June 2, he said that the coupons could be used to exchange for hybrid set-top boxes which are capable of receiving ground-based DVB-T2 and satellite-based DVB-S2 signals

Has any one seen or have any information about these "Hybrid" boxes ????

IPM HD Combo (text only in Thai) is S2 + T2.

AliExpress sells a lot of "this + that" combo units, and have S2 + T2 but as most Thai sat content is encoded+encrypted it only makes sense to purchase a receiver tied to the Thai Sat package provider (Astro, CTH, GMMz, IPM, RS, Truevisions, etc)

Thanks for the info RichCor.

I have yet to see any of these Combo or Hybrid boxes at the major retail stores, hopefully when they do arrive they will be fully compatible

with all the " free to view " satellite channels maybe even include a smartcard slot for pay TV options.

Isn't ASTRO Malaysian ? ....with only grey imported boxes/subscriptions available in Thailand.

We also received this coupon with the mail but despite the info received by earlier posters, not sure if this box is needed when we use True?

The offered box doesn't have anything to do with or work with True Cable or Sat services.

It's for Thai speaking people who already watch TV via antenna, and will now require a DVB-T2 box to continue to watch that TV via Antenna content as the broadcasts are being delivered digitally.

For other Thai speaking people, getting a coupon for a free box may be their opportunity to have TV programming as Cable or Satellite setup is out of their financial means.

My suggestion would be, Look At The Programming Offered in your Area before you go to the trouble of exchanging the coupon for a DVB-T2 box and connecting up an aerial antenna. Maybe it will work for a second TV set for the kids, wife, mom, grandma... free is free.