Age restriction on NON O Visa?

Hi

I have just called the Thai Embassy London and I can not apply for a NON O in England unless I am over 65!

Would this apply when it Thailand also?

My plan is to enter on a Multiple entry Tourist Visa, and then change to NON O in Bangkok, so that I can then apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

I am now 50, but is there the same age restriction of 65 when applying for a Non O within Thailand?

Thanks

You need to be more specific.

Some Non O visas are based on retirement.

Some are based on marriage.***

I believe, but could be wrong that for a retirement Non O you must be 50 or 55, not sure.

But a Non O bases on marriage could have no restriction on age if you are old enough to be married!

***I always thought a Non O based on marriage had to be "married to Thai", like mine is,

But recently met a man who has a Non O marriage visa who is married to a foreign ( non Thai) teacher who has a Non B visa.

Edited by willyumiii

there is no "age" restriction on based on securing a single entry NON O visa based on being over 50.

Best applied for at one of the Hon, Thai Consulates.

There are no "multiple entry" tourist visas the best you can hope for is a visa which permits a max. of 3 entries.

It is possible to apply for a visa conversion in Bangkok although it will be necessary to demonstrate that all the requirements for an extension of stay can be met.

There is no problem converting from a tourist visa entry to a non-O visa entry based on retirement.

You must have proof of:

an income of 65,000 baht month (can be from abroad, must be certified by your embassy)

OR

showing 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand

OR

showing a combination of yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand together totaling 800,000 baht.

You must have at least 15 days left on your permission to stay and return after 15 days to get the actual conversion.

I can definetly confirm that there is an age restriction of 65 for a NON O in England - even at the consulates - I spoke directly with Hull.

Also the consulates dont do applications by post now in general.

As long as there is no age restriction in Thailand or Penang then It should be Ok to change the tourist to a NOn O as you have said.

The restriction is more with what thy will accept as proof of income. They want to see a state pension.

Only for those wishing to obtain a muti-entry NON O visa.

An O/A VISA is easily obtained by anyone over the age of 50 who can meet the requirements.

That is a UK only thing and it only applies to multiple entry non-o visas.

You can get a single entry non-o visa at one of the consulates for being 50 for over with financial proof. Under 65 the embassy will only do a OA visa.

Not trying to be difficult but the consulates will NOT give a single entry Non O if you dont have a state pension i.e 65. I have confirmed this categorically this morning on the phone to the consulates. So the UK is out. My question is just whether there was an age issue in Thailand or Penang?

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote coding

Not trying to be difficult but the consulates will NOT give a single entry Non O if you dont have a state pension i.e 65. I have confirmed this categorically this morning on the phone to the consulates. So the UK is out. My question is just whether there was an age issue in Thailand or Penang?

Please stop posting this bad information .

You are "mistaken" in your beliefs about the availability of single entry NON O VISAS based on being 50+ in the UK !

There are no "age" issues other than those imagined by some posters !

• Like 1

You are "mistaken" in your beliefs about the availability of single entry NON O VISAS based on being 50+ in the UK !

Apologies NZEXPAT

You are correct. You can apply for a single entry Non O if you do it in person at a consulate and you have a bank statement IN POUNDS with the required funds OR if you have a state pension.

Apologies NZEXPAT

You are correct. You can apply for a single entry Non O if you do it in person at a consulate and you have a bank statement IN POUNDS with the required funds OR if you have a state pension.

Thanks for the apology but you are still "mistaken"

A State Pension is only required for those 65+ who are applying for a multi - entry NON -O VISA . No other form of asset/income is required , the visa is only issued by the Thai Embassy and is unique to the UK !

• Like 1

If your aim is to retire here, it does not matter what visa you have as it can be converted to a O visa here for the purpose of a retirement extension, provided you are over 50 and meet the financial requirements.

I did it myself last year with a Tourist visa when they changed the rules on O visas last year after 13 years of me previously getting O visas from the UK.

Edited by technologybytes

IF you mean a Non Immigrant O Retirement Visa from the UK:
(I am guessing you mean this, since it is age dependent)

You must first obtain a 90-day visa or a 1 year non-immigrant O visa from your home country or country of residence prior to your application for the Thai Retirement visa.

Retirement Visa Qualifications

Applicant must be 50 years of age or over.

Must not have any criminal history and can travel to Thailand.
Must meet the financial requirement:
Security deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the visa application; or
Monthly income or pension of at least THB 65,000. An affidavit from the foreigner embassy or consulate has to be obtained as proof of the income; or
Combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income - with the total of 800,000 THB.

I have been here for 5 years on a "Non Immigrant 0 Retirement Visa," and actually know some shortcuts ... if you are interested in talking about it, please send me a direct message.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The 1-Year Non-immigrant visa for citizens of the United Kingdom is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand to perform official duties or religious activities, conduct business or investment, work, study, visit the family, and other purposes.

Multiple-entry travel to Thailand.
Valid for use for a period of 1 calendar year.
Validity of stay for a period of 90 days per entry from date of arrival to Thailand.*
Ability to apply for work permit in Thailand.
Ability to apply for an extension (1 year) of stay in Thailand.**
Ability to open bank (savings) account in Thailand.

Best place to apply for a visa in the UK is the Thai consualte in Hull. They accept postal applications and deal wit them quickly.

What a pity that some members cannot be bothered to check the accuracy of what they state before posting nonsense which is clearly intended to confuse, mislead and misinform others

• Like 1

Best place to apply for a visa in the UK is the Thai consualte in Hull. They accept postal applications and deal wit them quickly.

Since January of last year none of the consulates can accept mail in application.m See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

Also since the fall of 2013 all the consulates have had restrictions imposed upon them as to what visas they can issue without pre approval by the embassy. Hull has changed a lot since then.

• Like 1

What a pity that some members cannot be bothered to check the accuracy of what they state before posting nonsense which is clearly intended to confuse, mislead and misinform others

I know, I wonder if they should re brand this site as ASIV IAHT

BTW, is Google broken? All the info required is right there.

Cheers...

Liverpool will issue a single entry Non Imm O on the spot provided you are 50+ and have proof of funds.

Hull must have it approved by London first, so two visits.

I have friends who regularly visit Thailand 2/3 times a year, 50+ under 65, who get single entry Non Imm O Visas from both Hull and Liverpool.

• Like 1

oh dear you'll never become a mod replying with that attitude nzexpat. have a look at the reply from ubonjoe as to how to handle incorrect information without being so condescending.

Edited by ColdSingha
  • Like 2

I agree with those who have tried to get a non-imm O visa in England without being in receipt of the state pension - the anwser is "No" nowadays never mind what is supposed to be written in law. What I couldn't understand was their attitude to other income.

I receive a local government pension that's not only over four times the state pension but also index-linked no matter where I live. "Oh no, that's no good" they said, you've got to be receiving the state pension. Further, investments in property and income from non-pension sources was also discounted.

I just wish HMRC (our IRS, for you Yanks) would have the same short sighted attitude !!!

I agree with those who have tried to get a non-imm O visa in England without being in receipt of the state pension - the anwser is "No" nowadays never mind what is supposed to be written in law. What I couldn't understand was their attitude to other income.

I receive a local government pension that's not only over four times the state pension but also index-linked no matter where I live. "Oh no, that's no good" they said, you've got to be receiving the state pension. Further, investments in property and income from non-pension sources was also discounted.

I just wish HMRC (our IRS, for you Yanks) would have the same short sighted attitude !!!

It depends on what you were seeking !

Multi entry NON O VISAS based on "retirement" are NOT available in the UK other than to those in receipt of a State Pension.

Single entry NON O VISAS and multi - entry O/A visas are easily obtained by those who qualify and are over 50.............

nzexpat said: Single entry NON O VISAS and multi - entry O/A visas are easily obtained by those who qualify and are over 50.............

I say: I wish you'd tell that to the Consulates and the Embassy. I had 'non imm O' visas for years (not based on retirement) as I retired at 56 on a very good pension. But three years ago reluctance to issue one started setting in and last year when I was 64 it was extremely difficult. That's what we're all complaining about and you're ignoring.

I wanted the 'O' to renew Thai driving licences for five years - but that was another bag of worms that's all sorted out for me now. The good thing about the rules in Thailand is that there are so many rules to choose from.

nzexpat said: Single entry NON O VISAS and multi - entry O/A visas are easily obtained by those who qualify and are over 50.............

I say: I wish you'd tell that to the Consulates and the Embassy. I had 'non imm O' visas for years (not based on retirement) as I retired at 56 on a very good pension. But three years ago reluctance to issue one started setting in and last year when I was 64 it was extremely difficult. That's what we're all complaining about and you're ignoring.

I wanted the 'O' to renew Thai driving licences for five years - but that was another bag of worms that's all sorted out for me now. The good thing about the rules in Thailand is that there are so many rules to choose from.

Try reading and understanding what I wrote. !

There are very few "Rules" and those which exist are easily understood by most people.

Edited by nzexpat