Installing power adapter on PCX

jay4fun

Hi, I am not blessed with any technical knowledge regarding bikes and I would appreciate some guidance, thank you in advance.

I ordered a power adapter for my PCX and have no idea how to connect the cable to the battery, not sure I can do it myself (with someones help) or better find a bike shop for that purpose, if the latter maybe someone knows a shop in Chiang Mai, Hang Dong area.

Thanks again

One thing I would suggest is to try and find a "switchable" live wire - something that is only live when the ignition is switched on. You could probably take it from the live to the headlight or similar. Also, you might want to make sure that you put a fuse in line with the live wire just in case.

I expect the power adapter will only have 2 wires, usually black and red. Black being ground and red being live. The black wire should be connected to your frame or ground terminal of the battery.

Any half decent bike shop should be able to hook this up for you.

The main thing is to make sure that the live is switched off when you turn off the ignition.

Check this video out - it is useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkEc8NWlkk

Edited by Vogele123

There is a motor cycle repair shop on Chang Moi that is worth a shot.

If you go East away from the moat, on Chang Moi, once you can see the Gate to Chinatown, the shop will be on your right. If you look for motorcycles parked on the sidewalk you will see the place.

They are Chinese and not very friendly - but they know bikes and parts and they stand behind their work, and don't cheat you.

I don't know what a power outlet on a PCX is - but I suggest these people know about it if it is worth knowing.

I did the same on my KSR with a Kit ordered from Ebay, I took it to the little mechanics down on the road from the old Mikes Burger heading to Warrowat Market, it's about half way between the two on the left. You'll notice the place as soon as you see it, there's always about 10 KSR/PCX bikes parked outside and it's a couple of doors down from the big motorcycle accessories shop. Can't remember exactly what they charged but it was something like 200 Baht.

I presume you are talking about a "cigarette lighter" type plug. I had PCX before and just connected the two leads to the battery terminals. (Crocodile clips on the leads)

Under the seat...at the front is a little flap. The battery is behind that.

I used it for small electric air pump I kept under the seat. (Along with a tubeless repair kit (plugs) ) and also for charging my phone.

The "proper way" to do it is to install the "cigarette lighter" plug at the back of the glovebox ... to keep it dry. Better off taking it to a shop for that.

I presume he's talking about a USB power adapter!

Most of them have a male USB plug on one end (for phones etc) ... and a male cigarette lighter type plug on the other end.

I had a female cigarette lighter type plug attached to the battery for the USB/male ciggie plug lead to plug into.

Other accessories (12v) use the male ciggy lighter plug too. Pumps, mini fridges etc.

For example... (You need a "female" ciggy plug attached to the battery. (Or where ever)

led-micro-usb-car-charger-samsung-galaxy

Edited by Fullstop

Ahh .. I have 1x USB on the CBR150, which i just wired directly into the battery, so its live all the time and charges when the bike is off. That's free and simple to do yourself. I run the CBR most days so don't worry about battery drain.

On the versys I have a 6 way accessory circuit, which has an independent draw from the battery, but is controlled by a relay. That fires 2xpair fog lights, GPS, 2xUSB, 12 power out. Thats overkill for you, but using a 12V / 40A automotive relay would be considered the 'proper' way.

You could also take the positive current from the number plate light or headlight then wire the negative to the grounding point on the frame, which is the usual Thai way which msealy

says, is about 200B and 5 mins to do. If you see a car hi-fi shop closer, they could do it with their eyes closed and charge peanuts.

Theres 3 options for you.

I'm guessing you bought your adaptor from eBay .. you can buy good ones for peanuts, where bike shops add a sizeable profit on to them.

I would suggest, buying a couple, then getting the installer to put 'waterproof' bullet couplings somewhere you can access them ( and on your spare ) and an inline fuse on the live feed.

My USB ports last about a year, before the weather gets to them. If you have a spare then it would just be easy to just remove the old one and plug in the new one.

Thanks to all of you for your comments, the adapter is still on it's way, bought it from Aliexpress. It is a USB + cigarette lighter adapter including on/off switch. Will take a look when it arrives and then decide if I bring it to one of the workshops recommended. For 200 baht or so it is possibly not worth struggling ....recom273, was actually thinking of ordering a few but first I want to see how "good" that adapter looks!

Thx again to everyone

Thanks to all of you for your comments, the adapter is still on it's way, bought it from Aliexpress. It is a USB + cigarette lighter adapter including on/off switch. Will take a look when it arrives and then decide if I bring it to one of the workshops recommended. For 200 baht or so it is possibly not worth struggling ....recom273, was actually thinking of ordering a few but first I want to see how "good" that adapter looks!

Thx again to everyone

Yeah, I know the ones they mount on your bars, as long as the switch is good, you could wire it straight to the battery.

I still stand by putting bullet couplings in somewhere - and if the power adaptor gives out then just pull it off and buy something a bit different.

I saw some screw cap ones that look good, I have a usb and 12v outlets that have close fitting rubber caps that keep the water out, they seem to be surviving well.

post-237891-14335781647406_thumb.jpg

In case someone is interested. This is the power adapter I received today, has all features you guys talked about, 1 set of wires leading to battery and ground, a separate one firmly attached with the adapter, fuses, switch. Looks and feels solid, usd 23.xx plus the inevitable import duty and DHL handling fee[emoji36] [emoji36] [emoji36]

That's gonna look pretty nasty IMO. A lot of wires when you start plugging all your device's in. What happens when it rains?

600bahtpost-92327-1433906706953_thumb.jpgpost-92327-14339067320416_thumb.jpg

Edited by eeeya

Sorry eeeya, do not understand. There will be only 1 device attached to the power adapter but the option of cigarette lighter AND USB gives me alternatives. And when it rains I either have to be protect or unplug my device, same with the Samsung on the picture, right? BTW, I cannot really identify what you have done for B 600....

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

That's gonna look pretty nasty IMO. A lot of wires when you start plugging all your device's in. What happens when it rains?

600bahtattachicon.gif1433728507520.jpgattachicon.gif2015-06-08-09-16-59_deco.jpg

Horses for courses really -

I think it's a bit of large but if the OP likes it, then he likes it. It has an integrated handlebar mount and will look fine on a PCX.

I had one of yours they go for 100b on eBay now, I cable tied it inside my faring and after a year it rusted up and died, easy enough to use the old cable as a draw and rewire to the new one to the battery.

Edited by recom273