Cabinet meeting in Thaksin heartland doesn't faze Prayut

webfact

Cabinet meeting in Thaksin heartland doesn't faze Prayut
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE government is considering the option of holding a mobile Cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai late this month, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

Chiang Mai is known to be a stronghold of former premiers Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra.

When asked if the government feared any opposition from people living there, Prayut responded by saying, "What should I be afraid of? If I was afraid, I would not be standing here.

"This is part of the Cabinet retreat [which must be organised in each region of the country]. The last retreat was held in the central province of Prachuap Kiri Khan, wasn't it? How many regions does the country have? We want to visit each region," he said.

"If we went to a small province, would we meet [a large number of] people? Chiang Mai is a big city, offering many activities, be it tourism or agriculture," he explained.

Meanwhile, Deputy PM General Prawit Wongsuwan, who is also defence minister, said he was still considering an appropriate location for the meeting.

When asked if moves to strip Thaksin of his police rank would stir up discontent among Chiang Mai residents, he said this issue had more to do with national police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmoung.

"The media imagines things. There's nothing that shows public dissatisfaction. At the moment, everything is calm."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Cabinet-meeting-in-Thaksin-heartland-doesnt-faze-P-30261645.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-05

But is it calm because the government has the most tranquilizers

post-63954-0-14771900-1433460436_thumb.j

or is it calm because the majority of people are less concerned about who runs the country?

Edited by BSJ

"...When asked if the government feared any opposition from people living there, Prayut responded by saying, "What should I be afraid of? If I was afraid, I would not be standing here..."

...and I'll have the whole military on stand-by.

The present Australian Liberal government did exactly the same thing, they moved the cabinet to various locations around the country for short periods while continuing their normal business.

It was perceived by some as a "political stunt" or as "window dressing" to distract the population during times of unrest or dissatisfaction with the governments performance.

I believe it is a good thing if done properly, it can show the general public that these high ranking officials do have a presence and are human. If the present policies are discussed at open forums then it can provide clarity and understanding for those present. In short I can't see any negative issues with the practice of showing the people their government at work, why can it be a bad thing?

The only downside to this could be if the area's chosen were selected with some area's excluded for whatever reason, this would be divisive and counter productive. It would provide certain people/parties to drive a wedge where there are already perceived divisions.

If it is to be done at all then it must be done without fear or compromise, take the message to all and seize the opportunity, explain to all the people first hand why the country is where it is, and why such extreme measures are required.

This could be an important component of the healing process that Thailand must complete if real and lasting progress is to be made...

Men driving tanks are rarely fazed by hungry farmers wielding pitchforks.

The hungry farmers wielding pitchforks never made it to Bangkok to face the imaginary tanks that you describe because the red shirts threatened them and their families if they proceeded to Bangkok before the coup even took place and the farmers that did brave the journey were protesting along side the PDRC. Remember? The contempt and violence threatened towards the very people (hungry farmers wielding pitchforks) that supported the PTP DID faze Prayut. The innocent blood of 25 people and 650 injured with not a single arrest by the people that defended the people that threatened violence on the farmers was another incident of Prayut being fazed.

That is why he is reassuring the innocent majority that he is not fazed now and that all is calm. The last thing he wants or that Thailand needs are those dark days when murder in the name of the govt in power could be committed with impunity. ( but murder is ok when they are elected, yes yes I get it)

Lets hope the meetings up north go without incident especially in light of it being the terrorist group RCM51's home turf and there is no need to describe their exploits as their violence and carnage proceeds them.

In fact I wonder if Prayut is trying to incite violence knowing that the radical fundamentalist group is based there because no one in their right mind would have face them with a differing opinion lest they too face the same fate as the 25 innocent men women and children that their kind killed in Bangkok just over one year ago.

Edited by djjamie

Bignose knows the picture, in my home state the State Government are holding a cabinet meeting this time in Kalgoorlie and you can apply to meet a Minister of choice for 10 mins and voice your concerns or whatever the only conditions no loud swearing <deleted>!!K , so There you are P.M. Prayut beat that.bah.gif

"...When asked if the government feared any opposition from people living there, Prayut responded by saying, "What should I be afraid of? If I was afraid, I would not be standing here..."

...and I'll have the whole military on stand-by.

No need.

If Thaksin is not sending the orders (and money) down through the chain of baboon's, the red-shirt thugs will stay at home.

They only want one thing and don't care what they do to get it. Ethics and principles (the ingredients for real 'democratic' protests) do not come into it.

No doubt meeting in CM doesn't faze Prayuth if he follow his previous standard of 2 soldiers to 1 civilian as in his previous visit to hand out land plots to farmers. Brave man, this paper tiger.

What nonsense, as usual.

There are no soldiers to be sen on the streets of Chiang Mai, there is no discernible hostility towards the current government - though not much enthusiasm either. Most importantly, the popularity of Thaksin has waned considerably, though there is more affection for Yingluck.

When, precisely, were there two soldiers to every civilian on the streets of Chiang Mai? Do you live in Chiang Mai? Do you speak Northern Thai?

"This is part of the Cabinet retreat [which must be organised in each region of the country]. The last retreat was held in the central province of Prachuap Kiri Khan, wasn't it? How many regions does the country have? We want to visit each region,"

Could this be Electioneering ?

No doubt meeting in CM doesn't faze Prayuth if he follow his previous standard of 2 soldiers to 1 civilian as in his previous visit to hand out land plots to farmers. Brave man, this paper tiger.

What nonsense, as usual.

There are no soldiers to be sen on the streets of Chiang Mai, there is no discernible hostility towards the current government - though not much enthusiasm either. Most importantly, the popularity of Thaksin has waned considerably, though there is more affection for Yingluck.

When, precisely, were there two soldiers to every civilian on the streets of Chiang Mai? Do you live in Chiang Mai? Do you speak Northern Thai?

I see you pretend to live in Chaing Mai and try to boast that you speak Northern Thai. Who cares? You don't even know whats happening April 6, 2015. Get out more.

What nonsense, as usual.

I see you pretend to live in Chaing Mai and try to boast that you speak Northern Thai. Who cares? You don't even know whats happening April 6, 2015. Get out more.
It's 5 June now Eric. But don't worry it's still 2015. Edited by longway

What nonsense, as usual.

The soldiers are there, but they are not in uniform. This is nothing new. Sadly 4 of them in civvies on patrol were just murdered in the south. The intent is to keep an eye on things. Nothing sinister.

What nonsense, as usual.

The soldiers are there, but they are not in uniform. This is nothing new. Sadly 4 of them in civvies on patrol were just murdered in the south. The intent is to keep an eye on things. Nothing sinister.

Is the situation down South the same as up North?

Anyway, why should the PM be fazed? Peaceful democracy lovers don't shoot anyone nor lob grenades on him.

What nonsense, as usual.

Actually, Eric, I have lived in Chiang Mai for 25 years and I do speak sufficient Kham Meuang to understand what the natives are saying - my wife, who is one of them, speaks no English, so no great surprise there.

But - considering your moniker - I would like to boast (to you only) that I speak, read and (occasionally) write Chinese...

But then again, who cares? I care much more that you are an unapologetic and uncritical Thaksin partisan and indeed an ardent admirer of "Madame Yingluck" who bemoaned her being sent to trial on Chinese New Year.

Get real, Eric, this isn't China, and hopefully never will be.

"This is part of the Cabinet retreat [which must be organised in each region of the country]. The last retreat was held in the central province of Prachuap Kiri Khan, wasn't it? How many regions does the country have? We want to visit each region,"

Why do you ask? Are any elections scheduled?

A good strategic move, go into the enemies stronghold, move freely about,and completely unerve the opposition.

Along the way it might be a good idea to pull down a few of the Red Village Signs,Banners and Posters! lets them know Thaksin is not running the country anymore!

Edited by MAJIC

Electioneering and maybe a two finger salute to Thanksin

Electioneering and maybe a two finger salute to Thanksin

That would be if they held the meeting in Sankampaeng, his hometown just outside Chiang Mai. rolleyes.gif

But this will doubtless encourage the many non-Red non-Thaksin supporters, who also live up here, but IME tended to keep a low-profile in recent years, thanks partly to 'Rak Chiang Mai 53' and other similar groups.