US wants to have a share in infrastructure projects in Thailand

webfact

US wants to have a share in infrastructure projects in Thailand

294142-imagepng-458491-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The United States is interested to co-invest in infrastructure projects in Thailand and it has also offered to arrange for officials of the Federal Aviation Administration to examine the performance of the Thai Civil Aviation Department.

The US interest to have a share of the cake in the rail projects in Thailand was conveyed to Transport Minister Prajin Juntong by US charge d’affaires Patrick Murphy during a courtesy call Thursday.

The US is the third biggest foreign investor in Thailand and is well prepared to invest in rail and road construction projects in Thailand, including the supply of locomotives for the projects.

It was reported that the US is ready to help train Thai officials in road safety measures and to transfer technology to Thai officials.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-wants-to-have-a-share-in-infrastructure-projects-in-thailand

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-05

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"A share of the cake?" Same on Patrick Murphy, if he in fact said this. This merits an inquiry to the US State Department for clarification and a clarity State's intentions to invest US taxpayer money in a military dictatorship.

I doubt this will be greeted with much enthusiasm by officials here, not just because the US hasn't gone out of its way recently to win friends and influence people in Thailand, but to have an 'honest broker' (yes, I know!) on board these big infrastructure projects would likely reduce the size of brown envelopes to an unacceptable degree.

First of all The US has been monitoring Thailand's progress very closely. They see what the PM Former general is doing and knows how Thailand is in real life. The current government isn't randomly grabbing people off the street It is though going after the cause of the problem yes it may seem a bit slow for some But it is progressing. Remember The PM was a General so You don't charge at enemy head on you snip confuse surround and take them down with least amount of loss possible.

I believe this article is highly misleading. I seriously doubt the US government will put one red cent into Thailand, but rather the government may be trying to pave the way for US companies to work some deals.

It would help if Uncle Sam sang praises for whatever current government had taken power in Bangkok, whether that cabal put themselves in power by a flawed election or by the barrels of guns. China knows how to play the game more craftily: they simply smile and offer gifts to whatever group puts themselves in charge in Thailand.

It would help if Uncle Sam sang praises for whatever current government had taken power in Bangkok, whether that cabal put themselves in power by a flawed election or by the barrels of guns. China knows how to play the game more craftily: they simply smile and offer gifts to whatever group puts themselves in charge in Thailand.

Uncle Sam has a different world view than the communists in Beijing.

I believe the US companies would have jobs over their heads repairing and upgrading the infrastructure in the US.

Instead of incurring more public debt to bail out banks, money should be used on the infrastructure of the US.

Say what you will, you have to be impressed with the Thai Publicity Machine and how they can work the credulous mouth breathers, online and here on Thaivisa.

As the US (and many other countries) do not publicly not to comment on news releases about diplomatic meetings. Did Patrick say anything about this, likely NO, but only he knows for sure and is not going to say. So, hey …. why not post up a piece how they want to do this or that, like they regret how they downgraded Thai US relations ….. ?

That sounds like a winner!

I wonder if the US is the third biggest foreign investor in Thailand because of the deal they had when using Thailand to war with Vietnam.

I find it hard to believe the US is going to invest in rail and road projects as well as locomotives when their own country is falling apart.

The American rail system is in shambles with trains coming off the tracks at 60 mph.

What is American going to invest with? Do they run presses and print out a few container loads of cash and pass it on in exchange for "technology"

which I would say would be safe to assume "spy" technology.

Maybe they should prove they can take care of their own country before offering to help take care of another's country. Their track record is not good

in this area, and I would hate to think what a carte blanche import permissions could lead to. IMHO

Some excellent spin going on here. As I understand it the FAA has said it will be inspecting the Thai aviation sector due to the deficiencies in the ICAO report and may subject it to downgrades so not so much of an 'offer' than a demand.

I wonder if the US is the third biggest foreign investor in Thailand because of the deal they had when using Thailand to war with Vietnam.

I find it hard to believe the US is going to invest in rail and road projects as well as locomotives when their own country is falling apart.

The American rail system is in shambles with trains coming off the tracks at 60 mph.

What is American going to invest with? Do they run presses and print out a few container loads of cash and pass it on in exchange for "technology"

Maybe they should prove they can take care of their own country before offering to help take care of another's country. Their track record is not good

in this area, and I would hate to think what a carte blanche import permissions could lead to. IMHO

I think they mean US manufacturers and companies such as Ford, GM, hard disks, CPU's, smartphones etc.

These companies are very profitable and can not only take care of themselves but help create jobs for Thailand.

Your angry but uninformed outburst is duly noted. thumbsup.gif

I think they mean US manufacturers and companies such as Ford, GM, hard disks, CPU's, smartphones etc.

These companies are very profitable and can not only take care of themselves but help create jobs for Thailand.

Not angry, nice little arrogant attempt to discredit, but take a look at some of the recent headlines around you won't you?

everything the US has manufactured has spyware in it including your refrigerator and dishwasher, alarm clock and on and on.

--- U.S. Embedded Spyware Overseas, Report Claims --- The Government Is Spying On Us Through Our Computers, Phones, Cars, Buses, Streetlights, At Airports And On The Street, Via Mobile Scanners And Drones, Through Our Smart Meters, And In Many Other Ways --- NSA reportedly installing spyware on US-made hardware --- U.S. cloud firms face backlash from NSA spy programs

the list goes on and on should you care to take a look for yourself.

do we want Amtrak in Thailand?

This isn't about Amtrak. Rather it is a reference to companies like GE who control 70% of the locomotive market in North America and may be interested in Thailand, which is doubtful. I say that because GE is reportedly over capacity and having trouble meeting its existing orders, so I can't see them wanting the aggravation of a narrow gage railway system and a Thai sale. Most of the other US locomotive manufacturers are targeted at specialty markets. The mot likely choice for Thailand would be Chinese sourced power units and the US knows that.

Not angry, nice little arrogant attempt to discredit, but take a look at some of the recent headlines around you won't you?

everything the US has manufactured has spyware in it including your refrigerator and dishwasher, alarm clock and on and on.

--- U.S. Embedded Spyware Overseas, Report Claims --- The Government Is Spying On Us Through Our Computers, Phones, Cars, Buses, Streetlights, At Airports And On The Street, Via Mobile Scanners And Drones, Through Our Smart Meters, And In Many Other Ways --- NSA reportedly installing spyware on US-made hardware --- U.S. cloud firms face backlash from NSA spy programs

Posting unproven internet myths isn't the smartest move. The issue has been CHINESE spyware that was installed on Chinese manufactured electronics.

Your reference to smart meters is insulting. Smart utility meters have been in use in developed asia and the EU for some time. The move to smart meters in North America was actually an initiative first pushed by Canadian hydro electric companies particularly Hydro One (the Ontario crown corp) no one is listening in on anyone. As for the rest of your crap, and it is crap, I suggest you save it for the devotees of conspiracy pushers like Alex Jones and the nutters who follow Lyndon Larouche.

Posting unproven internet myths isn't the smartest move. The issue has been CHINESE spyware that was installed on Chinese manufactured electronics.

Your reference to smart meters is insulting. Smart utility meters have been in use in developed asia and the EU for some time. The move to smart meters in North America was actually an initiative first pushed by Canadian hydro electric companies particularly Hydro One (the Ontario crown corp) no one is listening in on anyone. As for the rest of your crap, and it is crap, I suggest you save it for the devotees of conspiracy pushers like Alex Jones and the nutters who follow Lyndon Larouche.

Come on GK, the Russian cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab says its so. Spyware in a dishwasher, why is that so hard for you to believe.

If you are taught that 3+3=6 and you grow up with the knowledge 3+3=6, then 3+3=6 is reality for you even if the rest of the world disagrees.

See where I'm going with this?

Long term benefits for Thai people with teaching and training from developed countries will equate to a better workforce and better management.

Will it be another of these US assisted infrastructure projects where the US lends the USD's on the basis that the main contracts all go to US based companies.

US companies make profits.

The debt has to be repaid, leaving a few locals rich and the rest of the country poorer?

"A share of the cake?" Same on Patrick Murphy, if he in fact said this. This merits an inquiry to the US State Department for clarification and a clarity State's intentions to invest US taxpayer money in a military dictatorship.

Calm down....

I guarantee, the wording that has you offended never was uttered by the State Department guy, or anything remotely resembling that.

I'm sure it was either Thai PBS' own version or perhaps some translation into English of what the Thai transport minister told the local press here.

It's the Thai government officials, not the U.S. State Department, who think of their national infrastructure projects as financial cake to be eaten.

Maybe the USA is feeling left out of the economic party going on between Thailand, Japan and more importantly China, relating to the recent discussions about improvements to the transport infrastructure and aviation servicing.

But I would beg a couple of questions.

Which would you rather impress your neighbours with. A sleek looking bullet train system or a great big lumbering looking old loco system???

Does the USA have anything like a bullet train system to offer?

you obviously don't understand what those "investments" are about...