What Visa For Deserted Farang?

I met an English man in a bar in Isaan and he told me this sad tale.

He has lived in Thailand for 16 years, first 3 years employed and then the next 13 on a Non 'O' visa by way of marriage to a Thai lady. Last year the wife left him and he has been informed that she is now in Europe. He continues to live in the family home and supports his wifes two teenage children (He is not the biological father).

He told me that he is very worried about getting a new visa to stay in Thailand when his current one runs out in October as he does not have the required amount deposited in the bank, nor the required monthly income to obtain a retirement visa (he is mid 50's).

Having been in Thailand for such a long time he, understandably, is not keen to return to his 'home' country(England). Has anyone any experience of such a situation and can anyone suggest a way that he can obtain a new Non 'O' visa in the absence of his wife (He is still legally married to her at this time).

Being responsible for Thai kids in itself is a reason to be granted a visa. Of course he needs to be some kind of official caretaker. I suggest he gets his stuff sorted. Go talk with the immigration people.

Personally I think his ex-wife should send him money from overseas to contribute to raising the kids. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Being responsible for Thai kids in itself is a reason to be granted a visa. Of course he needs to be some kind of official caretaker. I suggest he gets his stuff sorted. Go talk with the immigration people.

Personally I think his ex-wife should send him money from overseas to contribute to raising the kids. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

If he were the biological father or the legal custodian of the boys, it'd be a breeze. But I'm guessing he doesn't have custody, If he did have, he'd need 400,000 or a combination of income and banking to qualify for a one year extension.

If he were the biological father or the legal custodian of the boys, it'd be a breeze. But I'm guessing he doesn't have custody, If he did have, he'd need 400,000 or a combination of income and banking to qualify for a one year extension.

How can he get legal custody?

I could find myself in a similar situation as my wife's health is not good.

He'd need the cooperation of his wife to do it, and with her in Europe it'd be a trial.Your situation Astral seems less difficult. Presumably your wife would be agreeable to you being appointed guardian. You need a lawyer.

200,000 until the figure changes later this year.

He'd need the cooperation of his wife to do it, and with her in Europe it'd be a trial.Your situation Astral seems less difficult. Presumably your wife would be agreeable to you being appointed guardian. You need a lawyer.

What if the biological father is still around but has nothing to do with the children? Would his consent be needed as well?

I thought one could apply for permanent resident status after three years on a non-immigrant class O visa...?

Chuck

PR is an option but it certainly isn't a breeze. He should go in to Immigration and discuss it. It does however tip his hand as to his present circumstances.