Dark Internet

Farangdanny

If you are curious, it's worth to have a look. Some crazy stuff in there. But i would suggest to use Tails instead of the Tor Browser Bundle. And stay away from web-tor gateways.

The two responses along the lines of "if you need to ask" are out of order particular as one is from a Moderator.

I have no idea what it actually is and how to access it so would be grateful for sensible responses.....no agenda

"The two responses along the lines of "if you need to ask" are out of order particular as one is from a Moderator.

I have no idea what it actually is and how to access it so would be grateful for sensible responses.....no agenda"

Firstly, they were being a little tongue and cheek, but seriously it is nothing to play around with. You stumble on to the wrong site and you will be flagged by the government.

I agree that it is something that no one should really be playing with. Those that recommend it are people you should stay away from. Unless you are a programmer, hacker, into illegal or immoral things, then you can live without it.

If you need to come to TV to ask information about it, it isn't for you.

I was speaking rhetorically. Thought that would have been obvious.

A member asks a question about something which he can easily research on the internet, but oftentimes the answers from members can be more enlightening, or amusing - not to mention entertaining. Now I intend to go dark while I finish some work. :) Happy hunting, everyone.

Freedom of information is alive and well, all you need to know is out there on the light internet.

Some estimates say, that the surface web is only a fraction of the deep web.

icebergdeepweb.jpg

Specially in country's where freedom of speech is not given, such thing like deep web, dark web or hidden web could make sense. There are plenty of sources out there on the surface of the web which provide useful informations how to access, about some content and bout the usage of it.

Who would not be keen to discover it?

Who would not be keen to discover it?

Indeed, but like the illustrated iceberg it can be dangerous to your health, wealth and freedom.

If you want to investigate, learn how to set up a virtual machine as a sandbox and isolate it from your real system.

When it all goes pear-shaped a secure deletion of the VM makes it all go away. Of course your ISP still has the records, so a VPN is also on the cards and maybe a VPN within that.

OK, maybe I'm being paranoid but hopefully my drift is clear.

Take care out there, there are big, bitey fish.

And yes, my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek earlier, or was it?

I'm curious to know but after reading of the need to know..." how to set up a virtual machine...sandbox...and isolating it..." are just to heavy for a basic and with limited knowledge of the cyberworld individual.

I'm already struggling trying to understand VPN as it is...lol.

Fair warnings and fair retorts in this post though :)

The dark web is no joke. It is dangerous. Not to sound paranoid or melodramatic. There are serious predators out there. (not sexual, well those too).

Unless you know something about protecting your machine, firewalls, encryption, vacuum,

As stated above, you need to use multiple VPN's so not to get tracked. If you click on the wrong thing or site you could literally ruin your computer.

Some of the viruses and trojans will slave your machine and put you in serious risk.

It is not something to take lightly or to even explore unless you know a lot.

Would you go to a high HIV area and have unprotected sex with every person you meet? It is that dangerous.

For those that have experience and are really into coding and pushing limits then yes there are many things out there. But there are as many bad people that will use your ignorance against you. Do you really want to be on Interpoll's most wanted fugitive list?

The dark web is no joke. It is dangerous. Not to sound paranoid or melodramatic. There are serious predators out there. (not sexual, well those too).

Serious? Your post couldn't be more paranoid and melodramatic. Thousands of journalists, politicians, whistleblowers, freethinkers and others use the darkweb day by day. Sure, it's a environment which it makes necessary to set up some security measures. That's why i mention to use Tails. It's not a virtual box, it's completely stand-alone linux solution. It's much easier to get infected by a virus or trojan with Windows and Firefox while only surfing around or open attachments on shady mails.

To visit the dark side of the web means not that you have to sell drugs or pay a assassin.

As already alluded to, you can easily do a topic search using your favorite, or most distrusted, search engine service and find out what the so-called dark-web is all about.

Tor -- Providing privacy and anonymity to vulnerable Internet users

Dark Net Software and Services

Dark Web

Hidden Services

Silk Road

Even easier is to read the associated entries in

Wikipedia

TOR DarkNet

DarkWeb Hidden Services DarkNet Market Silk Road (history)

but, actually going onto the dark web ...is akin to being a celebrity actress who goes to Cambodia in search of child prostitution so she could tweet about it.

Thank you @sanuk711. The link you provided is great.

For a basic user like me, it's an enlightening read. In fact, it depends on the perspectives of how you view it.

But nowhere near what one poster purported what it was...lol.

It's like a doomsday Messiah proclaiming, "...the end of the world is near! So let us all live in a commune away from the society that corrupts our soul, and the time shall come where we shall all commit suicide together leaving our sins behind, and be with GOD."

Scaremongering!

Personally, I am mature enough to make sound decisions and the 'dark web' though could be dangerous...yes. But not if you responsibly know what you are there for.

Cheers

Edited by WhoWhenWhyWhat

"The two responses along the lines of "if you need to ask" are out of order particular as one is from a Moderator.

I have no idea what it actually is and how to access it so would be grateful for sensible responses.....no agenda"

Firstly, they were being a little tongue and cheek, but seriously it is nothing to play around with. You stumble on to the wrong site and you will be flagged by the government.

I agree that it is something that no one should really be playing with. Those that recommend it are people you should stay away from. Unless you are a programmer, hacker, into illegal or immoral things, then you can live without it.

If you need to come to TV to ask information about it, it isn't for you.

You know, that just isn't true. Some people are curious; some are adventurers. If yo are one of these, by all means go have a look. Make sure you use a proxy so the government cannot flag you as having gone there.

When I was younger, I was curious about drugs, especially hallucinogens, like LSD and mescaline. I did them all, had a good time and have no regrets. It was a long time ago and I no longer have any interest.

One of the major problems with Thai society is a complete lack of curiosity about anything.

Just Google "How to use dark net," and you will find many tutorials. Read several of them to avoid being mislead. As mentioned above, the place is filled with criminals. It is like going to the bad side of town at night. You don't just go skipping down the road in a nice suit. You want to go to the bad side of town, you dress the part, carry weapons, don't trust anybody and keep your eyes open. I used to do that, too, just for adventure. Man, I've seen some things.

Never been to the darn net, but might have a look some day, just for the hell of it, just to be able to say I've been there.

Most poeple will tell you it isn't worth the risk, but some people think everything in life is sweetened by risk. Just depends on your outlook.

I used to be part of the dark internet in early 90's. I 'hacked' into some of my country's servers using ftp anonymous accounts (fully legal). This was script kid stuff. Years later, in 1994 or so, the Internet was deemed to be dark overall. All due misunderstanding what free communication was all about. It was dark at the first, but after few more years internet was enjoying limelights.

Things change. What is currently considered as dark internet, will be as popular as using Facebook today. Everybody are using encrypted communication channels. People want freedom to express themselves and some governments and instances wish to know exactly what the peasants are talking about. This is the reason why Tor networks and similar networks will be widely used in the future.

Labeling more secure networks as dark internet is slightly naive. We should talk about moving the power of communication from the few to all. That was the same thing which made the Internet popular. It will have to be re-invented once again. And again..

The mobile phone sim card registration in Thailand now required is a prime example. How can a political opposition have classified strategy discussions when their sim cards are registered and their opponents can listen in? The dark net; that's how.

"Serious? Your post couldn't be more paranoid and melodramatic. Thousands of journalists, politicians, whistleblowers, freethinkers and others use the darkweb day by day."

My point was if you need help to ask what it is, then you probably don't have the computer skills to protect yourself. There are a lot of things illegal, immoral and dangerous. The things that are useful aren't useful to most people.

It really isn't something to play around with. If you have a specific purpose and the tool set, then of course.

however as we are in Thailand, you take the risk at a different peril. The government has instituted serious investigation into tracking computer use.

"

When I was younger, I was curious about drugs, especially hallucinogens, like LSD and mescaline. I did them all, had a good time and have no regrets. It was a long time ago and I no longer have any interest.

"

Than you, you proved my point. You are not the role model for the world. I often use you as an example of who not to be, so now I can say, if you want to end up like LL, then experiment with drugs.

I know nothing about this. It all sounds pretty scary. Why don't you just go to the darkside of Pattaya?

I shudder to imagine what is in the dark internet, cos in the regular net there is plenty of sick crap just right off Google.

Edited by EmptyHead

"Serious? Your post couldn't be more paranoid and melodramatic. Thousands of journalists, politicians, whistleblowers, freethinkers and others use the darkweb day by day."

My point was if you need help to ask what it is, then you probably don't have the computer skills to protect yourself. There are a lot of things illegal, immoral and dangerous. The things that are useful aren't useful to most people.

It really isn't something to play around with. If you have a specific purpose and the tool set, then of course.

however as we are in Thailand, you take the risk at a different peril. The government has instituted serious investigation into tracking computer use.

"

"

Than you, you proved my point. You are not the role model for the world. I often use you as an example of who not to be, so now I can say, if you want to end up like LL, then experiment with drugs.

Exactly ever heard of 'death by misadventure'. OP again, find another hobby.

Anyway, a bunch of people you have never met (and probably never will) have given you the advice you asked for to make an well informed decision. What could possibly go wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

FYI....

The founder of one of the Dark Web's fledgling search engines is warning Tor users about the presence of hundreds of fake and booby trapped .onion websites.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/07/01/hundreds-of-dark-web-sites-cloned-and-booby-trapped/

The last two paragraphs sum it up....

The Dark Web is an online safe haven for dissidents, journalists and champions of free speech but it is also a small and highly concentrated den of the very worst criminality.

So, not only is there is an abundance of thieves on the Dark Web, and no honour amongst them, there is no shortage of government hackers or undercover agents either.

"

"

bet he has a hell of a lot more stories to tell than you my judgmental friend.

Edited by HooHaa

"

"

bet he has a hell of a lot more stories to tell then you my friend.

Yeah maybe, but can we keep this on topic please.