Another fire in chinatown

daoyai

re

I heard that 5 "units" have burnt out and they think they now have it contained

its still burning :(

pics taken ten mimits ago !

dav2

ps .. this is the third market fire in a month coz there was another one in Bangkok Chinatown last week

is this the start of a trend ? hmmmmm

post-42592-0-14595500-1433506861_thumb.j

post-42592-0-05179800-1433506893_thumb.j

Much less smoke than before. The rolls of fabric in that block of units are still burning. Hope they keep the fire engines posted there all night.

I think it must be contained as neighbours back and look relatively calm!

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/topic/5393-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%9B-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9E%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9C/

Below is what I posted in another thread an hour so ago, not realizing that this thread had already started. It was locked by the the moderator:

Heading: "Major Fire at Wararot Market"

Text: "Been going an hour at least. Maybe ten+ fire trucks, lots of ambulances. It's in the big Wararot building, first one as you head east on Chiang Moi, second big building from the river, that is. Due to the time of day, I bet arson. Probably took the first fire truck 20 minutes to get there. It's in that fabric shop area where a lot of Sikhs own businesses. Black smoke still billowing out after an hour, though now somewhat less than before. Cops did a pretty good job (it seems to me) of securing the area and clearing out traffic so the emergency vehicles could come in."

Seems to be over now. I'd be amazed if it was only "five units." Too much smoke.

Fire at Waroros market in Chiang Mai

294245-imagejpeg-458634-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANGMAI: -- A huge fire broke out late this afternoon and by 7 pm Friday, it was still raging.
Five 5-storey row shop houses were gutted in the fire which broke out at about 5 pm at the 100-year old Waroros market or known as Kard Luang.

Witnesses reported sighting flames first leap out at the second floor room of a clothes shop and quickly spread due to large stockpiles of clothes kept inside.

A dozen of fire engines were rushed to combat the fire but faced some inconvenience when a large number of onlookers coming to watch the fire, and shop owners rushing to pick up their belongings and goods at the scene.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fire-at-waroros-market-in-chiang-mai

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-05

Why does the Bangkok Post refer to "Varoros market"? That's not even close to being right.

The Thai word for the market isวโรรส

If you transliterate every letter you end up with "Varoros", without paying attention to niceties like the fact that the initial "V" is pronouced as a "W" by the Thai people and that they often switch "Rs" with "Ws" in pronunciation the middle of a word and that in Thai a final "s" is pronounced as a "t"

In other words, it's slopping writing and editing by the Bangkok Post.

Could be said that one most important bit needed could be for the police to have better crowd control....... rubbernecking is one thing , but when it becomes a hindrance to the firefighters doing their job,,... well that's another thing.

It was rush hour. Thai emergency personnel got there as quickly as they could. Probably took 20 minutes for the first vehicles to get in there, due to, as I said, rush hour, not so much rubber-necking.

20 mins when the fire station is just around the corner is ridiculous.

I've seen them clear the street in seconds for a VIP motorcade.

It's the same any time of day. There was a fire on the next street from us on a power pole at 0600

The fire engine arrived after about half an hour.

Could be said that one most important bit needed could be for the police to have better crowd control....... rubbernecking is one thing , but when it becomes a hindrance to the firefighters doing their job,,... well that's another thing.

It was rush hour. Thai emergency personnel got there as quickly as they could. Probably took 20 minutes for the first vehicles to get in there, due to, as I said, rush hour, not so much rubber-necking.

My comment was not based on anything like the time it took for the first responders to arrive on scene, it was based on what I was viewing on the CM108 link. Way too many people underfoot at the scene..... they would have been causing a lot of chaos,,..

According to the owner of a neighbouring shop it took just over 20 mins for the first fire truck to arrive.

They then have to wait for the power to be turned off before they can started dowsing.

It would be a great help if they could have some large tanks of dry chemical to try and put out the fire before it spreads in the intervening period. But I have not seen them with a stock of your ordinary fire extinguisher type thing.

Archived