Plugs often too loose for power boards etc.

giddyup

I've often found that the two pin round plugs literally fall out of power boards and even extension cord sockets, and I really don't know if there's any safe way to overcome this. Any ideas?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good quality boards will accept and hold on to those thin 2-pin plugs.

Failing that hunt for the round to flat adaptors although these lift the plug well away from the board. I'll see if I can find one to post a photo.

Also, if you can find Schuko (Euro) sockets, these are designed to accept the thin pinned plugs as well as the big Schuko plugs.

Failing that hunt for the round to flat adaptors although these lift the plug well away from the board. I'll see if I can find one to post a photo.

Also, if you can find Schuko (Euro) sockets, these are designed to accept the thin pinned plugs as well as the big Schuko plugs.

I recently bought a good quality extension cord to use with my electric lawn mower and lawn edger, the plugs for both appliances will just fall out of the cord socket. I can't even take the cover off the socket to try and squeeze the terminals a bit tighter as it's a sealed plug and socket.

Edited by giddyup

What, prithee, is a power board?

It's probably got another name, but that's what I call those things that enable you to plug in a few appliances. It seems power board is a fairly common name for them.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=power+board&biw=1366&bih=576&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XpBxVavcAcyVuATE3YMQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQsAQ

Edited by giddyup

Plugs go into sockets. Turn off the 'lectrics. Pinch the bits that accept the plug together. Your next problem will be pulling the sockets off the wall when you want to remove the plug.

I recently bought a good quality extension cord to use with my electric lawn mower and lawn edger, the plugs for both appliances will just fall out of the cord socket. I can't even take the cover off the socket to try and squeeze the terminals a bit tighter as it's a sealed plug and socket.

Arguably, it wasn't that good of an extension cord smile.png

For my outdoor extensions, I always buy ones with German Schuko sockets, as that's what practically all garden and power tools come with, e.g.

productpictures_150_dpi_1208060.jpg

1168456_BB_00_FB.EPS_250.jpg

and use one of these at the source end to insure it gets an Earth:

schuko-2.jpg

Inside the house, I use only APC power boards - they are the only ones I've found that have actual buss-bars inside, not 50 solder joints:

175C167BD90922D2852579B100708323_EWAR_8R

All of these are readily available in Thailand.

Edited by IMHO

For me, the only acceptable "extension" is the kind that have 3-pin plug/receptacle actually with a ground wire running through it. Not so easy to find but they do have here. Most "power boards" and especially the ubiquitous 2-pin extensions on the wheel using a few strands of copper are just plain hazardous in my view.

Anyway... a "good quality" receptacle should firmly hold whatever it is designed to fit.

Plugs go into sockets. Turn off the 'lectrics. Pinch the bits that accept the plug together. Your next problem will be pulling the sockets off the wall when you want to remove the plug.

That won't work on the extension cord as the plug and socket are sealed.

We found some WALL Sockets with ON/OFF Switches taking 3 Pin Plugs.

The first lot even had a little blue light to tell you when it was switched on. The ON/OFF switches stuffed up after a month or two.

We have now had another type, without the Blue Light feature. These have lasted a couple of years and are fine so far. Whole lot safer than just whacking in a plug into a LIVE Socket.

As for the Power Boards, haven't found a REALLY GOOD One yet in Thailand.

Edited by Torrens54

The solution is quite simple. Cut the worthless things off and replace them with good quality American style plugs that you import (most of the plugs sold here are garbage).

The problem with those round pin plugs is that they are bastards. In the countries that use them, they have special grounded receptacles into which they securely plug. Here, you only get half the loaf.

\

Another reason for cutting them off and throwing them away is that if the electrical device is supposed to be grounded, those round pin plugs (without the proper receptacles) don't do the job. Pumps, washing machines, etc., often come with those two pin plugs, a two lead wire and a separate ground wire. I pull the whole thing out and replace it with a three lead VCT wire and a high quality imported plug. No problems then.

For me, the only acceptable "extension" is the kind that have 3-pin plug/receptacle actually with a ground wire running through it. Not so easy to find but they do have here. Most "power boards" and especially the ubiquitous 2-pin extensions on the wheel using a few strands of copper are just plain hazardous in my view.

Anyway... a "good quality" receptacle should firmly hold whatever it is designed to fit.

555! Try to find one. Take your tester with you and go all over town examining these POS extension cords and cord reels. Try to find one that actually has continuity from the ground pin on the plug to the ground receptacle. I have looked and looked and NEVER found a single one.

Now I import both ends and make my own extension cords from three lead VCT wire. Solid, tough, reliable -- and correct polarity!!!

I did get one of the reels, took took off the two lead VCT (that had a three pin plug!), replaced it with three lead VCT, connected the ground inside to the recetacle and added a proper grounded plug. Works great now.

Another annoying thing about the two pin plugs. There is no way to get the polarity right -- its 50/50. Now on modern appliances, it doesn't really matter, but it still annoys me. I like load to line and neutral to neutral (and of course, ground to ground).

Edited by LindaLovelace

Just for interest those roll extensions should be fully unwound prior to use especially long term use or heavy loading. They will overheat and burn if left tightly coiled. Google it

For my outdoor extensions, I always buy ones with German Schuko sockets, as that's what practically all garden and power tools come with, e.g.

schuko-2.jpg

Inside the house, I use only APC power boards - they are the only ones I've found that have actual buss-bars inside, not 50 solder joints:

555! Try to find one. Take your tester with you and go all over town examining these POS extension cords and cord reels.

I have found them :)

The APC power boards, which accept Euro round pins, US flat pins and AU angled pins are available from any APC dealer. I believe the folks on this board like shopping at InvadeIT: http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/surgearrest/

As for the Schuko outdoor extensions, they can be purchased online from RS components:

Reels:

http://th.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/mains-iec-connectors-accessories/extension-reels/?applied-dimensions=4293736411&esid=cl_4294967294,cl_4294957914&m=1&sort-by=P_breakPrice1&sort-order=asc&pn=1

Leads:

http://th.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/mains-iec-connectors-accessories/trailing-sockets-power-distribution/?searchTerm=brennenstuhl&applied-dimensions=4293736411&esid=cl_4294967294,cl_4294957914&m=1&sort-by=P_breakPrice1&sort-order=asc&pn=1

Quality costs though.....

555! Try to find one. Take your tester with you and go all over town examining these POS extension cords and cord reels.

I have found them smile.png

The APC power boards, which accept Euro round pins, US flat pins and AU angled pins are available from any APC dealer. I believe the folks on this board like shopping at InvadeIT: http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/surgearrest/

As for the Schuko outdoor extensions, they can be purchased online from RS components:

Reels:

http://th.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/mains-iec-connectors-accessories/extension-reels/?applied-dimensions=4293736411&esid=cl_4294967294,cl_4294957914&m=1&sort-by=P_breakPrice1&sort-order=asc&pn=1

Leads:

http://th.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/mains-iec-connectors-accessories/trailing-sockets-power-distribution/?searchTerm=brennenstuhl&applied-dimensions=4293736411&esid=cl_4294967294,cl_4294957914&m=1&sort-by=P_breakPrice1&sort-order=asc&pn=1

Quality costs though.....

APC, sure. But if your house is properly wired, you should not need extension cords inside at all.

I was talking about industrial type extension cords, both plain and reel type. Maybe in Bangkok. No such animal in Phitsanulok. No quality at any price. But you can make your own super high quality at a reasonable cost, if you import the US style plug ends first.

And with those Schuko receptacles, there is still no polarity. Wouldn't want one for that reason.

Edited by LindaLovelace

The smaller round pins need an adaptor either to the fatter twin round pin or the twin flat pin. You can buy these adaptors in electrical spares shops and some computer accessories shops.. They cost peanuts. If the flat pins get loose you can spread then a little so that they fit tight.

I have not studied through all the posts.

But the thread starter asked about two pin round plugs.

I guess he means the so called "Europlugs" which are (for security reasons) only half metallized and the plastic pin part has a lower diameter.

They will NEVER sit firm in any of the receptacles (wall sockets etc.) used in Thailand.

From their mechanical construction, these receptacles work only with fully metallized flat or round pins with constant diameter.

If you plug such a europlug fully into a Thai wallsocket it will even have problems to get a contact at all, as the "lips" of the socket will be at the point where metal and plastic join.

Europlug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug

220px-Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg

Indeed: for low power devices (as are usual with europlugs) cut them and replace with the cheapo flat pin stuff used in Thailand.

Will work much better.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I guess he means the so called "Europlugs" which are (for security reasons) only half metallized and the plastic pin part has a lower diameter.

They will NEVER sit firm in any of the receptacles (wall sockets etc.) used in Thailand.

From their mechanical construction, these receptacles work only with fully metallized flat or round pins with constant diameter.

If you plug such a europlug fully into a Thai wallsocket it will even have problems to get a contact at all, as the "lips" of the socket will be at the point where metal and plastic join.

Europlug:

Indeed: for low power devices (as are usual with europlugs) cut them and replace with the cheapo flat pin stuff used in Thailand.

Will work much better.

The go in perfectly snug & secure with Clipsal C-Concept wall sockets, which are again readily available (and affordable) in TH.

C-Concept01a.jpg

Edited by IMHO

Polarity? Who needs polarity - we're talking A/C, not D/C.

The problem with German Schuko plugs/sockets (actually: bastards between German and French standards, as shown below) is that most plugs "expect" the socket to have a ground pin, but you just don't get the sockets with pins here. If you're lucky enough to get a plug with ground side strips (as in the picture), they will connect (safely, too) with real Schuko sockets.

power_plug_frde.jpg

My solution was to have pins made that fit snuggly into the plug's ground hole and thus also into German/French "cross breed" sockets (the 3-hole wall sockets often found here). Works with "serious" plugs, but I also created an ugly short once when the ground hole wasn't self-enclosed and the pin touched another pin upon inserting the plug. Boom.

And these schuko plugs usually sit quite firm in the usual outlets (as the pins are fully metallized, constant diameter).

Just that they don't have a ground/earth connected.

But who has a protective earth in his house whistling.gif

I once bought a cheap schuko plug somewhere here.

The latches (?) for earthing at the two sides of the plug were nearly as thin as aluminum foil cheesy.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

After lots of problems with Thai electrical connectors, I ended up bringing extension strips from the UK and lots of plugs. Then I get one of the good quality (but extremely ugly) DIY Thai plugs (actually a USA type) and leave them plugged into the wall permanently. Then I changed the plugs on most things in the house to the UK type.

The English style are the best IMHO : never come loose or fall out and always make a reliable contact. The plugs themselves look nice, are cheap, are earthed and are individually fused.

The Schukos are second best - but you need a bulky and ugly socket if you want it to connect ground. They look like they are designed to accept a ground pin (screwed in) but I can't find any anywhere.

Thailand poised to get into hi speed trains, has never been able to make a male electric plug that will fit, safely

into any female socket. They are either too loose, too tight, configured wrong so I now have 12 extensions and if one

doesn't fit, another will. Don't bother trying to bend the male prongs to fit as they did design them to break off at the first warning of improvement !

I've found in general that the extension / power boards sold at computer acccesory style shops to be the best, but I'm talking about the type that are 500 baht+ in price, with individual on off switches, plus these often have the multi fitments on them.

They are a tight fit, and then you can turn on the power!

Edited by Pdavies99

Europlug:

Will work much better.

The go in perfectly snug & secure with Clipsal C-Concept wall sockets, which are again readily available (and affordable) in TH.

C-Concept01a.jpg

Good heavens! Change all the wall receptacles in the house? Or just cut off the offending Eurotrash plug and replace it with a blade type?

Actually the Eurotrash plugs work fine in all the receptacles installed in my house, but don't work so well with the "Thai extension cords" -- those so called power strips so many people use because most Thai houses seem to have only one wall receptacle to a room.

I just bought four of those "power strips" today. I needed some Type VKF 0.75 mm2 wire for a water filtration system I am wiring and couldn't find any. so I bought the four strips with 10 meters of the wire i wanted on each. I'll chop of and discard the plugs and strips. Gotta make do.

The problem with German Schuko plugs/sockets (actually: bastards between German and French standards, as shown below) is that most plugs "expect" the socket to have a ground pin, but you just don't get the sockets with pins here. If you're lucky enough to get a plug with ground side strips (as in the picture), they will connect (safely, too) with real Schuko sockets.

power_plug_frde.jpg

My solution was to have pins made that fit snuggly into the plug's ground hole and thus also into German/French "cross breed" sockets (the 3-hole wall sockets often found here). Works with "serious" plugs, but I also created an ugly short once when the ground hole wasn't self-enclosed and the pin touched another pin upon inserting the plug. Boom.

I like to know which side is the line and which is the neutral. As i said, it doesn't matter with modern appliances, but sometimes it DOES matter.

I found some of those pins you made and purchased them and was using them. After a while, I asked myself <deleted> I was doing, and simply replaced all the plugs with high quality blade types. Problem gone forever.

schuko-2.jpg

Those APC strips are good as are Belkin and Huntkey models.

Check out invadeit's online store they sell all the good ones.

After lots of problems with Thai electrical connectors, I ended up bringing extension strips from the UK and lots of plugs. Then I get one of the good quality (but extremely ugly) DIY Thai plugs (actually a USA type) and leave them plugged into the wall permanently. Then I changed the plugs on most things in the house to the UK type.

The English style are the best IMHO : never come loose or fall out and always make a reliable contact. The plugs themselves look nice, are cheap, are earthed and are individually fused.

The Schukos are second best - but you need a bulky and ugly socket if you want it to connect ground. They look like they are designed to accept a ground pin (screwed in) but I can't find any anywhere.

I like the English style plugs (like them a lot), but I had to cut them off all the power tools I imported from the UK, because they don't fit the wall receptacles here. Can't say for sure, but do not think I have ever seen the receptacles sold here. And if you did wire your house with them, nothing else would fit.

The so called "American style" plugs y (two blades, or two blades and pin) sold here are totally junk. You would never find that kind of trash in the States as it would never pass inspection. And ALL two blade US plugs are polarized (one small and one wider), so polarity is always correct (assuming you wired your own receptacles, which I did).