Cambodia gets its first gay magazine #EnglishLanguage

geovalin

Cambodia has gotten its first LGBTI print publication – Q Cambodia.

Editor-in-chief Sorel Thongvan, 55, founded the magazine upon returning to Phnom Penh after living in the US and France for 25 years and not being able to not find any LGBTI representation in the media.

'I think the main problem is lack of visibility and therefore misunderstanding of the community,' he told Gay Star News.

'I hope that straight people will read it, especially fathers and mothers and educators so that they can understand their children, friends and neighbors better – help start a conversation if you will.'

The first edition of Q Cambodia, 'the pride issue,' was launched on 19 May at a party held in the men-only Arthur and Paul Hotel.

The free English pocket magazine is a monthly publication, but Thongvan said he has 'other plans in the works' and the second issue will be translated into the local Khmer language.

'It’s a bit of information, fun, and what’s happening in the world LGBT-wise, but the heart of the magazine is a series of interviews with members of the LGBT community, how they live their lives in Cambodia,' he said.

'Sometimes, it's someone telling us about their lives in their own words, so I don’t interfere at all. I just let them speak.'

Thongvan said the move from New York to a Southeast Asian country with an abysmal human rights record was easier than he had expected.

'Cambodians are super nice and most are very understanding and accepting of homosexuality in general,' he said.

'Gays here are not bitter and jaded.'

Although gay sex is not illegal in the kingdom and some local officials have allowed gay marriages, there are a worrying number attacks on the LGBT community, especially in small towns – 100 in the first four months of this year alone.

There is also intense familial pressure to get married and have children.

'I think a lot of parents especially think homosexuality is a phase and that eventually it will go away,' Thongvan said.

'There’s a huge family pressure to “carry on” the family line.'

- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/cambodia-gets-its-first-gay-magazine050615#sthash.YYQnH8Zs.dpuf

By Darren Wee

source: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/cambodia-gets-its-first-gay-magazine050615

Why do homosexuals need a magazine? Do heterosexuals have a dedicated specific monthly publication? Its ridiculous. What can possibly be in it. Advice on HIV? Where to buy the smallest condoms? Adverts for short vest tops and tight mens shorts. Advice on cleaning the inside of your anus correctly? What utter crap again.

Can you print something we all need to know about please.

1st copy in English ???? Is he doing it for the money $$$ . I don't think he really give a sxxx about gay issues or the reflection on his country. Sounds like a pimp with a pen to exploit and cash in on young Cambobian boys to get poo rammed by sex tourists.

Cambodia gets its first gay magazine#

Its just a sign of a changing world -----last year traveling through Japan I saw someone proudly displaying a Gay Welsh T-shirt.

I thought It's great to see that in this day and age, people just aren't ashamed of being Welsh...........................coffee1.gif