Tree identification

Hello,

This tree is about two/ three years old and now 4 metres tall. It grows in a sunny place and has a large/ dense canopy.

I'd like to hear your opinion what kind of tree this is to confirm my initial idea.

Many thanks!

post-155923-0-40526400-1433561034_thumb.

post-155923-0-47278800-1433561083_thumb.

post-155923-0-71962800-1433561134_thumb.

post-155923-0-38835300-1433561327_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

Looks like a Ficus species.

Really? What kind of Ficus? I thought the leaves are wider at the base. A little more heart shaped and have this type long tip at the end, like here in the photo (Ficus religiosa).

732px-Ficus_religiosa_Bo.jpg

Edited by Morakot

They do have some laurel in SE Asia. In the US it's also known as a bay tree. When you break a leaf does it smell like the spice "bay" as in bay leaves?

There is no apparent smell. I don't know if laurel grows here. But isn't this more like a shrub rather than a tree.

I think it's a guava tree -- the tropical type. I'm hoping people can confirm or reject this.

Looks like a Ficus species.

Really? What kind of Ficus? I thought the leaves are wider at the base. A little more heart shaped and have this type long tip at the end, like here in the photo (Ficus religiosa).

There are many species of Ficus and they have a variety of leaf shapes, sizes and textures (some shiny, some not shiny, smooth/rough, and so on). For example have you seen Ficus pumila, the creeping fig that goes up walls (it make a wall look like hedge)? Its leaf is very different to the leaves in your photos. The one in your first post looks like one I have in my garden. It appears to have an aerial root (3rd photo). Guavas don't have aerial roots. I've also got guavas in my garden and the leaves are very different to your photos. Guava leaves are not so shiny and have more prominent veins. Even if it's not a Ficus I'm very sure it's not a guava (well not the kind of guavas they grow around here for fruit consumption). I don't know what species of Ficus it might be. Could be F. retusa. I just looked up F. retusa and it's common name is Cuban laurel which fits with Neversure's idea that it looks like laurel.

Managment ,my misses says Ficus Benjamina.in Thai ตน้ไทร.

Looking at photos they grow in to big trees.slow growing .

Wife says..it not that one you mention (Which grows HUGH....)

She says it is "Tun Poh" ...sounds like "Tonne Pow (as in piddle pot)..

Both however grow to a hugh size and the roots go for miles and are enormous....Mainly only grown in the Temples for shade....

We had 2 of these trees and dug them out when they were about 3 mtrs....unbelievable how far the roots had traveled. Wifes advice, is to pull them out asap...

Edited by weegee

Thanks for that! Yes it looks like it.

Ficus_benjamina_%28Weeping_Fig%29_in_Hyd

Both however grow to a hugh size and the roots go for miles and are enormous....Mainly only grown in the Temples for shade....

We had 2 of these trees and dug them out when they were about 3 mtrs....unbelievable how far the roots had traveled. Wifes advice, is to pull them out asap...

Right so I'm essentially looking at something like this in the long run.

I'll prune it back drastically and see how it goes. It does look rather nice at the moment.

Probably not the most conventional approach, but I've also got a neatly trimmed hedge made of Ficus religiosa right next to this tree. Neighbour is scratching his head in amazement.

640px-Starr_070404-6635_Ficus_benjamina.

Right so I'm essentially looking at something like this in the long run.

I'll prune it back drastically and see how it goes. It does look rather nice at the moment.

Probably not the most conventional approach, but I've also got a neatly trimmed hedge made of Ficus religiosa right next to this tree. Neighbour is scratching his head in amazement.

Laurel trees can be kept pruned back as a hedge and are in Europe and America. They can grow into a tree or kept pruned.

post-164212-0-81870200-1433596647_thumb.

Funny you said about growing in temples,when I asked my misses what tree it was she said"you know it, there is one growing near our temple"