Phuket lifeguards save Olive Ridley from fishing net

webfact

Phuket lifeguards save Olive Ridley from fishing net

Eakkapop Thongtub

1433740667_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers carry the turtle after safely removing it from the net.

PHUKET: -- Phuket lifeguards saved an Olive Ridley sea turtle which they found trapped in a fishing net at Mai Khao Beach yesterday afternoon (June 7). Luckily, the turtle had only suffered a slight cut to one of its flippers.

The lifeguards spotted the turtle close to the Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas and soon discovered that it had a fishing net wrapped around its right flipper.

After safely removing the turtle from the net it was taken to the Marine and coastal Resources Research Development Institute where an official stated that it is possible the turtle had been trapped in the net for three days. The turtle is still being cared for at the institute.

In previous years Olive Ridleys were often found along the Andaman coast where they settled to lay their eggs. However, the sight is not so common nowadays and it is estimated that more than 30 injured turtles are washed up along the coast each year.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifegaurds-save-olive-ridley-from-fishing-net-52666.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2015-06-08

Excellent.

About one month ago I found a turtle trapped in an abandoned fishing cage at Racha Noi. I got the turtle out but sadly it was too late, it had drowned already.

So I'm very glad this turtle was saved.

Phew...there for a moment I thought that Olive Ridley...was an elderly English gentleman...who had become entangled in a web of deceit by his Thai GF.

I honestly thought it was the name of some soap opera or reality TV actress.

reply to post 3 i dont know where you come from but "OLIVE" is a female name, perhaps you were thinking of "OLIVER" a male name. so in fact ya got it totally wrong lol !!

In today's world...Olive may have been Oliver at one time...and may still be confused about it's sexual identity...wai2.gif