Thai politics: Forest land reclamation could spark war with the poor

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Forest land reclamation could spark war with the poor

CHULARAT SAENGPASSA
THE NATION

30261910-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- THE MAIN obstacle to protecting forest land has always been the reluctance of officials to take action against powerful encroachers, said Natural Resources and Environment Minister General Dapong Ratanasuwan.

"Officials are sometimes worried that they will get burned while carrying out their duty. So, some officials may prefer to turn a blind eye to encroachment cases," he said.

"But since the current government came to power, I have stood by our officers to ensure they can do their duty without fear".

"And we know which plantations belong to rich men, even when they use villagers as nominees," Dapong said. "We will take action against the wealthy encroachers first."

Officials' vigorous execution of orders should be hailed in a country where forestland has been dwindling because of encroachment. But as the order seems to affect only individual rubber growers, the much-publicised policy of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to reclaim forestland may trigger a war with the poor.

Late last month, the Network for the Sakon Nakhon Home of the Rightless held a ritual to restore the morale of Jantra Bangthong, 82, who lost her rubber plantation, the only source of income for her family, to the policy.

"I feel sad, pained and shaken to see soldiers and forestry officials mercilessly cut down all my rubber trees. How will I pay for my grandchildren's education now?" she lamented.

To date, the NCPO-installed government has stood firm in its plan to tackle forest encroachment. The Royal Forest Department and also the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation have proudly declared that their target is to reclaim 1.5 million rai of forestland from encroachment before the end of 2016.

Authorities, as a result, have actively erected signs that they will reclaim forestland in various provinces.

The authorities have also assured the public that they are targeting wealthy encroachers, or those encroaching on more than 30 rai of forestland. Still, in the eyes of some NGOs, government strategies cannot really implement reforestation successfully, because they end up hurting landless people.

Prayong Doklamyai from the People’s Movement for a Just Society said the NCPO order to exempt the poor, landless people who lived in forest areas from evictions did not seem to carry weight now.

"I can't ignore the fact that officials in charge of implementing the policy appear to ignore this specific order of the NCPO and take harsh action against poor people, so as to perpetuate evictions," he said when asked to evaluate the NCPO performance earlier this year.

"The problem with the government's efforts to tackle forest encroachment is that the authorities cannot separate the poor and landless people from the wealthy who encroach on forests, just like they can’t separate an eel from a snake," he said.

Several rights groups have tried to caution the authorities about their much-publicised campaign to give forestland back to the country.

They have emphasised that, no matter what, the government should avoid taking action that would adversely affect the landless and the vulnerable.

Many groups in Trang province have asked that the authorities postpone cutting down any rubber trees on suspicion of encroachment.

They believe the government, in particular, should be careful in handling rubber plantations that belonged to small-scale farmers.

Some critics can't help feeling that the authorities are very swift in taking action against vulnerable encroachers, but not against those with money.

They considered cases involving big businesses in Nakhon Ratchasima province.

These enterprises have been accused of encroaching on forestland or agricultural-reform land for a long time, but the public hasn't seen any action that is as decisive as cutting down rubber trees.

There were reports of encroachment by several resorts but action against them was less swift than the landless had experienced.

All eyes are now on the authorities' future action. Without fair execution as promised by Dapong, the poor will feel they are subject to unfair treatment while the wealthy encroachers are spared.

Such feeling, if emerging and persistant, can turn explosive. It may trigger a war between the poor and the NCPO or its government.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Forest-land-reclamation-could-spark-war-with-the-p-30261910.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-09

"Officials are sometimes worried that they will get burned while carrying out their duty. So, some officials may prefer to turn a blind eye to encroachment cases," he said....

But those very officials are never worried about ' getting burned ' to receive bribes to turn a blind eye right?

There are laws to this land, and those laws should not be hijacked by any group or people,

however disadvantages or disgruntled they may fell...

sent the army on them, and let them start a war with the army than and see who's

going to win...

"And we know which plantations belong to rich men, even when they use villagers as nominees," . "We will take action against the wealthy encroachers first." Environment Minister General Dapong Ratanasuwan.

Fine. Then do it. Less talk and some action please. Start with Puket where the encroachment is well known. Go to Surat Thani and have a talk with the newly minted social activist Suthep and his son.

Just get on with it.

Here is a novel idea. Unless they are disabled or deceased how about the mother and father of the grandchildren paying for the education of their children.

That would be a novel idea where we come from.

But here it's not uncommon for the whole extended family to pitch in to help pay for expenses like schooling, vehicles, etc.

TL

Reclaim the illegal plantations from the rich. Employ the locals to re-establish the forest, & manage the forest.

Who do you think now working for the rich on the mono culture forest that now is standing? The Rich are not tending the trees. It might be Burmese labour as they work cheaper than the landless locals. but that is easy just outlaw immigrant labour on these plantations.

It is about public perception more than saving a forest or employing the poor. Wake up and do not be fooled by the media or government.

This is a failure of the politics as opposed to anything else. I have always been an admirer of the Brazilian method, they have a swat team that helicopters in when a possible encroachment is happening. It stops the big money behind deforestation as well. Chances of this country taking a significant interest in its ecological/biological heritage range from 0 to how many dollars was that?

If i understand this the poor farmers have been farming on government land and collecting profits from it. The Thanskins robbed the poor for years and did not care about forest lands but only votes. it will take a generation before Thailand will succeed! I feel sorry for the poor farmer that no one said it was against the law to farm there. No law inforcement coming back to spark war. Only in Thailand!

"And we know which plantations belong to rich men, even when they use villagers as nominees," . "We will take action against the wealthy encroachers first." Environment Minister General Dapong Ratanasuwan.

Fine. Then do it. Less talk and some action please. Start with Puket where the encroachment is well known. Go to Surat Thani and have a talk with the newly minted social activist Suthep and his son.

Just get on with it.

It will be great when they do have a go at Sutheps son for when Chalerm was going to have him hung from the highest tree he said " If you are going to investigate me investigate all those around me".

After that silence, I wonder why, could it possibly be that there were some "Around him" who were not to be investigated ?

Yes bring it on.

Just get on with it.

You got to admire that Suthep he has more lives than a cat. I am sure he is sitting on a pile of plenty his reward for leading the charge against a legally elected government and stopping a new election in its tracks. Should that not be a crime? What is a crime in Thailand? I am starting to question myself that's bad.

this local GVT and officers very well know where are this reach BIG people with BIG encrochement,

they have no problems to separate tghem from the poors one,

but a poor one you rubb out with no problems,

( anyway they dont expect any funds from them ! )

But from the BIG REACH ( like Thaksins - you can collect , collect and collect !!!