Woman killed by detached carriages at a railway crossing in Bangkok

webfact

Woman killed by detached carriages

BANGKOK: -- A 55-year-old woman was killed this morning after detached train carriages crashed into unaware passing vehicles at the railway crossing at Bangson railway station.

A brand new Honda sedan was also hit by the carriages but the driver narrowly escaped death.

The victim was identified only as Saree.

The accident happened at about 6.30 am on the railway tracks near Bang Son station in Bang Sue area.

As a cargo train passed the railway crossing, the controller then raised the barricade to allow all vehicles to pass.

But the controller didn’t notice that only the locomotive passed the crossing while its carriages with timber cargo were accidentally detached and were moving onwards.

A few cars have passed the crossing when the barricade was raised, while the victim was still riding on the tracks with her motorcycle when the detached carriages arrived.

She was run over and dragged about 200 metres before the carriages could stop after running out of force.

Another driver of the damaged Honda car said she narrowly escaped death as she was about to cross after the barricade was raised when the locomotive had gone.

But immediately she saw the carriages were following behind with no locomotive and hit the motorcycle in front of her.

Her car was also brushed aside by the carriages, she said.

State Railway of Thailand governor Wuthichat Kalyanamitr said it was the first accident of its kind that engage carriages detached from locomotive.

But he said the SRT would bear full responsibility for the accident and would look into whether it was human error or technical error that caused the detachment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/woman-killed-by-detached-carriages

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-09

Motorcyclist killed by out-of-control train coach
By Coconuts Bangkok

train_6.jpg
Photo: MCOT

BANGKOK: -- A woman was killed this morning after she rode her motorbike over a railway crossing in Bang Sue district and was hit by a runaway train carriage.

Salee Suikwa, 55, was dragged about 100 meters from the crossing by a cargo car loaded with wood that had detached from the train near Bangson Train Station around 6am today. She was killed instantly.

According to Suthon Nantaphon, the railway crossing watchman, the first part of the train had already passed the crossing, but he did could see the detached carriage still trailing about 50 meters behind it, so he raised the barricades to allow traffic to resume.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/06/09/motorcyclist-killed-out-control-train-coach

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-06-09

Lack of maintenance -> rotten carriage coupling and/or human failure -> ghost train. Next time with a coach full of passengers. Only in thailand.

Imagine that when the new high speed train gets built-Wow where did all my passengers go.

There is something seriously wrong with this story and scenario.

When a train, any train, is assembled and coupled up, all air hoses are connected and the driver releases the brakes by using the loco air supply. When the hoses come apart, the train "should have' gone into 'emergency' - dynamited' - and the cars and loco would have come to a stop.

If the brake hoses were not connected, then the cars would roll freely Whatever, the engineer and conductor on this train are in deep kee.

The car in the picture looks to be possibly loaded with concrete rail ties or sleepers.

A couple of safety tips for surviving anywhere .... The right of way is given not taken, so, regardless of the colour of the traffic lights or the position of the crossing barrier, always look both ways before proceeding.

All respect to the lady who died, but it's beyond me how she couldn't have seen the carriages trundling down the track. I guess my view of Thai motorcyclists is correct .... they don't look further than their front wheel!

Edited by ChiangmaiRob

When a train, any train, is assembled and coupled up, all air hoses are connected and the driver releases the brakes by using the loco air supply. When the hoses come apart, the train "should have' gone into 'emergency' - dynamited' - and the cars and loco would have come to a stop.

If the brake hoses were not connected, then the cars would roll freely Whatever, the engineer and conductor on this train are in deep kee.

The car in the picture looks to be possibly loaded with concrete rail ties or sleepers.

Not really, because the Westinghouse Brake system used on passenger cars is rarely, if ever, used on freight carriages. Doing so would make shunting and compilation of goods trains a very slow and tedious business. As I recall, there is normally a hand brake wheel located on each end of goods carriages to slow up loose shunted goods carriages moving too quickly. Don't see it, could be other side/end, or they might not bother here.

According to Suthon Nantaphon, the railway crossing watchman, the first part of the train had already passed the crossing, but he did could see the detached carriage still trailing about 50 meters behind it, so he raised the barricades to allow traffic to resume.

And it was off course not his fault that he raised the barriers without checking all clear first.... damn trains it cant just do this to me..... .

wai2.gif

A couple of safety tips for surviving anywhere .... The right of way is given not taken, so, regardless of the colour of the traffic lights or the position of the crossing barrier, always look both ways before proceeding.

All respect to the lady who died, but it's beyond me how she couldn't have seen the carriages trundling down the track. I guess my view of Thai motorcyclists is correct .... they don't look further than their front wheel!

Sorry to hear about yet one more totally preventable accident involving the railways in Thailand. And condolences to the lady involved in this latest tragedy.

One thing I noticed after only a short time in Thailand was the way motorcycles come up to a corner to turn left and plainly do not look to the right, they just assume there is nobody coming, or so I thought. When I asked a Thai friend about this dangerous practice he said it was so that if there was an accident the motorcycle rider could say he did not see anyone coming so he was not responsible for the accident ! Has anyone else ever heard of this crazy way of thinking ?

safety first, always look both ways before crossing the tracks even though you may be driving at some speed

The accident happened at about 6.30 am on the railway tracks near Bang Son station in Bang Sue area.

"Fair Go" Mick.......you must be a Bright Spark in the Mornings??

Sorry to hear about yet one more totally preventable accident involving the railways in Thailand. And condolences to the lady involved in this latest tragedy.

One thing I noticed after only a short time in Thailand was the way motorcycles come up to a corner to turn left and plainly do not look to the right, they just assume there is nobody coming, or so I thought. When I asked a Thai friend about this dangerous practice he said it was so that if there was an accident the motorcycle rider could say he did not see anyone coming so he was not responsible for the accident ! Has anyone else ever heard of this crazy way of thinking ?

The 2 of you ought to be ashamed. A poor woman dies and probably leaves a family behind and all you can say is that it is probably her fault for not seeing the carriages coming. She saw the barrier raised you morons, that should have been enough to guarantee her safety!

The 2 of you ought to be ashamed. A poor woman dies and probably leaves a family behind and all you can say is that it is probably her fault for not seeing the carriages coming. She saw the barrier raised you morons, that should have been enough to guarantee her safety!

Perhaps you should read my comment again, slowly this time.

I did not say a word about this poor woman crossing the tracks and being hit by the carriages, I wrote about something unrelated. The only thing I said about this lady was to offer my condolences.

Perhaps you should get off your high horse and read the posts before you comment on them.

I still think a proof reader is needed especially in cases like this a goods train not a passenger train was involved in an accident when wagons became detached from the engine hit a number of vehicles on a railwaycrossing the crossing keeper inadvertently allowed the engine through unaware of the uncoupled wagons and a calamity occurred resulting in the death of a woman .

No, try reading my post! I did not blame her at all, I merely suggested a way to help stay alive at rail crossings or traffic lights! Good luck to you as you blindly cross the rail track just because the barrier is up, or go through a traffic junction just because the light is green! Like I said, the right of way is GIVEN not taken and there are plenty of people who didn't apply that logic, in the cemetery, that are testament to that, including now, this unfortunate lady!

Edited by ChiangmaiRob

Not really, because the Westinghouse Brake system used on passenger cars is rarely, if ever, used on freight carriages. Doing so would make shunting and compilation of goods trains a very slow and tedious business. As I recall, there is normally a hand brake wheel located on each end of goods carriages to slow up loose shunted goods carriages moving too quickly. Don't see it, could be other side/end, or they might not bother here.

Can we assume you are unfamiliar with railroad equipment?

All freight cars (wagons) have an air brake system as do passenger cars (carriages) . The air brake system is standard on all cars. When they are switching cars in a yard after a train arrives, the air is bled off by a yardman.

I am sure there are Thai Railway operating rules, assuming:-

a) They exist and

cool.png That they are adhered to by train crews.

This accident happened in Bangkok, not a rail switching yard, thus when the train came apart on the main line in Bangkok, for whatever reason, it should have automatically come to a stop. As I said in my post, the engineer (driver) would have known his train came apart by a loud hiss as the air went in his locomotive (engine).

Your last sentence makes sense. "Or they might not bother here."

The attached image shows the air hose hanging down on the nearside of this boxcar

post-9891-0-94044100-1433853075_thumb.jp

Indeed, one of the most dangerous things you can ever do on a motorcycle is go through a green light without looking. The same is true of railway crossings when the barrier is up. People who trust lights and barriers and don't look are asking for trouble.

Oooooh Yes, "not my fault I did not see anything coming" is very common thinking in the Far East.

In Hong Kong years ago (may still be the same now) old people would rush across the road in front of your car so that you would "run over and kill any ghosts following them". I had one old lady running so fast that she ran right into the side of the front wing of my car and fell down. Luckily she was not badly hurt, but it took me some time to convince the police I had nor run her over. Lucky also that at this level they were not very corrupt (ICAC very new and active)and did not try to fleece me as they would have done here.

Other people (young or old) would deliberately hold their hand, or a bag or newspaper, etc., up beside their face before stepping out so they could say they did not see you. Seen that done many times here and the "did not see, pulling out in font of you" game for both cars and motorbikes is normal everyday behaviour.

If I was an American I would be "pleading the fifth" so as not to tell you what I do to bikes NS cars that deliberately pull out in front of me.

Back to the post in point, it is very clearly negligence on the part of SRT staff that caused the accident, but you can safely (pun intended) bet that no one will even be disciplined, let alone inedited for causing the death of this poor, extraordinarily unlucky lady.

I really do feel for her family; but just to be very unfeelingly, obnoxious, it would be interesting to see how many different, unusual, ways to die in Thailand in one week get reported just in TV.