does thai national need visa from uk to bulgaria ?

my wife wants to go to bulgaria for a holiday for 1 week. she is currently in uk and is on an EEA family permit with permanent residence for 10 years stamped in her passport.

does she need a visa to enter bulgaria.

Yes, she would need a free, minimum hassle ASAP issued Bulgarian visa. Bulgaria is not a Schengen member yet but the bits in the Schengen sticky on EU/EEA spouse applications apply to Bulgaria aswell. Bulgaria is pretty much copying the Schengen rules in advance of its membership to the Schengen agreement.

Edit: I do believe Bulgaria accepts Schengen visas and Schengen residence cards, also in preperation of them joining so if your wife happens to have a valid Schengen visa you should be able to use it (check with the Bulgarians, I'm saying this from memory). A UK visa or residence permit won't be of any use, unless it's one issued under Directive 2004/38 and says "family member of an EU/EEA national" on the card.

Edited by Donutz

You might find this helpful, and bears out the thoughts of Donutz.

Family members of EU citizen, who do not have the nationality of the EU Member State, are entitled to the same rights as the EU citizens, for their travel to Bulgaria. This only applies to those having residence in an EU country and travelling together, or going to Bulgaria to join their family member (s) who is (are) already in the country. While travelling alone such family members have the right to enter, but require a visa to be issued by the respective Bulgarian Embassy abroad. The visa is issued free of charge on the presentation of a valid passport, application and proof of family ties (Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate, legalized and translated into the official language of an EU member country). Family members, travelling together with the EU citizen does not require a visa, but should be in a position to present on request at the border a Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate, legalized and translated into the official language of an EU member country.

And this

Since 31st of January 2012 The Republic of Bulgaria apply a visa-free system for holders of valid Schengen visas until the date of full accession to the Schengen zone. The holders of Schengen visas have the right to enter and reside in the Republic of Bulgaria for a period of validity of their Schengen visas and permitted duration of stay, but no more than three months in any sixth-month period from the date of first entry and without Bulgarian short-stay visa.

http://www.bulgarianembassy-london.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=158

• Like 1

Thanks ToG, the Bulgarians seem even more relaxed then what I recalled from memory. I'd still get a free visa in advance though just to make sure that the airliner won't cause any trouble and not to have to carry the marital papers around on my holiday. If a visit to the embassy is a bit expensive, then I might consider the alternative of going to Bulgaria with the marital papers but I'd first check with the aurliner if they will let your wife board!

I'd still get a free visa in advance though just to make sure that the airliner won't cause any trouble and not to have to carry the marital papers around on my holiday.

Yes thanks Donutz, a good point and one I forgot to make in my rush to get out.

I wish the UK authorities were so accommodating. My wife's best friend is coming (with her Swiss husband) over from Switzerland and having struggled through the pathetically poor .gov website, it seems still requires an EEA family permit!

Many questions on the application form that I consider of dubious legality. Spouse employment details, income, parents details.

That's really for a different thread though!

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1