Thai monk defends smacking temple-goers with holy stick (video)

webfact

Monk Defends Smacking Temple-Goers with Holy Stick [+video]
By Khaosod English

14338531631433853443l.jpg
Phra Jirapan Analyo showing the grass stick he uses to "bless" temple-goers with, Saraburi province, 8 June 2015.

SARABURI — A monk who was seen forcefully hitting temple-goers' heads with a bundle of dried grass has defended the unorthodox practice, calling it his unique way of blessing the faithful.

Phra Jirapan Analyo, the 53-year-old abbot of Pha Sadej monastery in Saraburi, admitted that the practice may look violent in a video that went viral this week, but insisted that it does not hurt.

"The knocking of heads is a way to cure diseases and illness for the faithful," Phra Jirapan said. "And the knocking may look violent, but it didn't hurt anyone."

A video of Phra Jirapan blessing temple-goers at Wat Na Thawee, Songkhla province.

The practice drew criticism on social media after a video of Phra Jirapan forcefully hitting temple-goers was posted on Youtube on 6 June. Many commentators argued that the aggressive action contradicted the calm and stoic demeanor monks are required to possess by Buddhist doctrine.

"This monk is so sadistic, like Buddha Issara!" one user joked, referring to the ultra-conservative monk who commanded "hardcore" factions of anti-government protests in 2013 - 2014.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1433853163&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-10

"The knocking of heads is a way to cure diseases and illness for the faithful," Phra Jirapan said.

No it isn't.

"And the knocking may look violent, but it didn't hurt anyone."

Doesn't have to hurt to be violent

Seems somewhat milder than the Muslim Ashura festival

post-46941-0-42678600-1433891919_thumb.j

Or the weird obsession Catholics in the Philippines have with nailing themselves to a cross.

post-46941-0-46406100-1433892123_thumb.j

I do question the sanity of any group of people who accept violence as part of their worship.

Looking at the picture, has he ripped a strip off his comfy chair to wrap around the sticks?

Better yet, why is he sitting in a large leather chair? Monks are not to use animal products in that manner.

Jimmy Savile used to have a large leather chair. Seems weirdo's are much the same the world over.

Looking at the picture, has he ripped a strip off his comfy chair to wrap around the sticks?

Better yet, why is he sitting in a large leather chair? Monks are not to use animal products in that manner.

Doesn't he know that vinyls are an endangered species?

plastic likely. index living mall 189 baht

This Monk is a shame to not his religion but any religion. Maybe these people not give a big enough donation. To many bad Monks in the news and i think the New PM should give them rules to follow just like every Thai citizen. If i did that i would probably be in jail. What happened to the Buddha teachings of peace and love. No one should be able to do this to some one coming for blessings but only getting abused! He says it cures i might try him for erectial disfunction.

Edited by Nobb

The knocking of heads is a way to cure diseases and illness for the faithful," Phra Jirapan said

Next time you're feeling a little off colour...come and see me. I have a 4x2 length of timber I'll cure you with.

wai2.gif