Immigration checking passports in beach restaurant?

I was debating whether this belonged in the local forum or the visa forum. I was on the Thung Wua Laen beach (Pathio, Chumphon) this Monday eating at a cafe and then 3 immigration officers stopped and approached me requesting to see my passport. Of course I didn't have it on me, but offered to go back to the house. They followed me back, took photos of the passport, visa page, stamp, and a few photos of the house. Then went along their way.

They weren't mean or anything, but I thought it was a bit strange. Until I remembered that there were reports occassionally of some people being checked at schools etc for work permits. Has this happened to anyone recently or at all? Immigration or other police checking passports somewhere other than a border or checkpoint?

Immigration or the police can ask for your passport at any time. That is why is is suggested to at least have a copy of your photo page and entry/permit to stay stamp with you at all times. But a copy does not have to be accepted they could still ask for you to get your original.

• Like 2

I've occasionally seen displays of security around Tung Wa Len, usually by the guys in the black uniforms. Once I saw road blocks, every car being checked. My guess is some kind of military whatever is nearby.

• Like 1

Immigration or the police can ask for your passport at any time. That is why is is suggested to at least have a copy of your photo page and entry/permit to stay stamp with you at all times. But a copy does not have to be accepted they could still ask for you to get your original.

Would a Thai driving licence suffice Joe?

I think according the law, (I know this is the law in most European countries) as a foreigner you must carry your passport, or other document issued by Thai govt. showing your identity, with you at all times (not when swimming of course or diving). I think the officers are a bit liberal on the enforcement of this law thankfully.

Thought I'd posted a response already, anywho.......

I have friends in TWL, they have reported this happening before. The last time I heard of it was a year ago. In a similar manner, they came into a beach restaurant / bar and asked all foreigners for ID and took photo's of everyone. In one case, Thai drivers license was enough (better carry a photocopy of your visa/ passport anyway) & it was all rather friendly. After finishing up, went on their way with no issues.

Few stories went around that it was maybe related to an incident up the Coast, but why speculate! Pathio district is quite a wealthy Thai community, compared to elsewhere, and it is relatively unspoiled. I don't think it's much more than keeping tabs on who's around town and showing a presence!

• Like 2

I was at one of the "return happiness to the people" concerts up here in NongKhai at the gov. sports stadium, the wife and I just showed up because we could hear the music from the house and see the lights in the sky. We had just arrived and were standing in the back of the crowd watching the show when three plain clothes immigration officers with badges hanging on their shirt fronts walked up to me and began asking questions about where I lived and how long I had been here. They were not menacing at all but very nice and polite, they did take my picture but never did ask me for my passport or even the exact house address. I was somewhat confused as to whether it was an official questioning or they were just being friendly, but it didn't really bother me much.

I think according the law, (I know this is the law in most European countries) as a foreigner you must carry your passport, or other document issued by Thai govt. showing your identity, with you at all times (not when swimming of course or diving). I think the officers are a bit liberal on the enforcement of this law thankfully.

In fact the majority of European Countries do not require you to carry your passport or I.D. This applies to the UK, Denmark, Ireland, Norway where it is not law for anyone to carry a passport and they have no National I.D. card. The following countries issue I.D.s but there is a no need to carry rule (no need photocopy either): Switzerland, Sweden, Liechtenstein, Italy, Ireland, France, Finland and Austria.

However, one of the exceptions is Germany where you can get locked up for up to 12hours if you cannot produce an I.D. Perhaps this is a left over from World War II. Most other countries accept any form of identification, even a book club membership card in some countries.

In Thailand you do not need to carry your passport at all times but a photocopy of main and visa page is accepted by order of the Government. You may have to produce the passport at the police station later if requested but unlikely. I have been here since 1982 and never had a problem. In my case talking Thai and showing my driving license is enough, they have never asked to see my passport.

• Like 2

"In Thailand you do not need to carry your passport at all times but a photocopy of main and visa page is accepted by order of the Government. You may have to produce the passport at the police station later if requested but unlikely. I have been here since 1982 and never had a problem. In my case talking Thai and showing my driving license is enough, they have never asked to see my passport.

Are you sure that that is law ? Or was it just an RTP General saying that generally it is ok to just have the photocopies ?

Edited by bigt3116

I could understand a tourist carrying his passport for a few weeks, but for an expat carrying it all year long ?

For me it a no no , I have very good very detailed photos of it on my telephone...but in Samui? When they make a check point for helmets they do not even ask the driving license to any one.

• Like 1

I used to carry a copy of the front page of my passport year one here, now for 4.5 years I have not, just drivers license, in Isaan, so far have never been asked for passport just license and maybe money in traffic stops. I keep a 100 Baht note with my license that is all they get if they hassle me for money.

Or I get my pen out and ask them for their names, phone numbers and I.D.

It happens quiet frequently on buses and trains in the deep south, especially around Hat Yei and direction to Pattani and Sungai Kolok. But even there good quality copys of passport and visa/extension stamps will do it.

I always carry my passport now. Just gives them a way in if you haven't got it on you

Lucky they let you go that far south , you could have ended up at one of the border resorts

Hi, please explain "lucky they let you that far South" i really don't understand.

I used to carry a copy of the front page of my passport year one here, now for 4.5 years I have not, just drivers license, in Isaan, so far have never been asked for passport just license and maybe money in traffic stops. I keep a 100 Baht note with my license that is all they get if they hassle me for money.

Or I get my pen out and ask them for their names, phone numbers and I.D.

Just what makes you think that you have any right to ask them for their phone number ?

A Thai drivers licence does not give any information about your immigration status and can for that reason not be accepted. They might accept it as proof of your identity and check through the telephone.

I think all foreigners that have a Thai driving licence should be able to have it linked to their immigration status somehow. For example, when we go through immigration we hand our passport and licence to the IO. Once our status is logged in to the data base they simply swipe the licence and hey presto we dont have to carry our passports around, its all on our licence, which most of us do carry around. Roadside police have a card reader and can quickly find out our immigration status.

Simple but remember where we are.

• Like 1

I always carry my passport now. Just gives them a way in if you haven't got it on you

Lucky they let you go that far south , you could have ended up at one of the border resorts

Hi, please explain "lucky they let you that far South" i really don't understand.

Have a think about whats been discovered on the Southern Border lately

A Thai drivers licence does not give any information about your immigration status and can for that reason not be accepted. They might accept it as proof of your identity and check through the telephone.

I think all foreigners that have a Thai driving licence should be able to have it linked to their immigration status somehow. For example, when we go through immigration we hand our passport and licence to the IO. Once our status is logged in to the data base they simply swipe the licence and hey presto we dont have to carry our passports around, its all on our licence, which most of us do carry around. Roadside police have a card reader and can quickly find out our immigration status.

Do you know any country in the World that operates that system ?

In fact the majority of European Countries do not require you to carry your passport or I.D. This applies to the UK, Denmark, Ireland, Norway where it is not law for anyone to carry a passport and they have no National I.D. card. The following countries issue I.D.s but there is a no need to carry rule (no need photocopy either): Switzerland, Sweden, Liechtenstein, Italy, Ireland, France, Finland and Austria.

However, one of the exceptions is Germany where you can get locked up for up to 12hours if you cannot produce an I.D. Perhaps this is a left over from World War II. Most other countries accept any form of identification, even a book club membership card in some countries.

In Thailand you do not need to carry your passport at all times but a photocopy of main and visa page is accepted by order of the Government. You may have to produce the passport at the police station later if requested but unlikely. I have been here since 1982 and never had a problem. In my case talking Thai and showing my driving license is enough, they have never asked to see my passport.

The Finnish law states that anyone above the age of 15 must be able to reliably identify themselves to authorities. A reliable identification can be also carried out by investigative procedures. In practice, this means that everyone has to carry either passport, national ID or driving license at all times. If you do not have one on you, the "investigative procedures" means you are taken in (holding cell) until you are identified. No one really wants to go that way, so everyone keeps some sort of ID on them at all times.

• Like 2

I could understand a tourist carrying his passport for a few weeks, but for an expat carrying it all year long ?

For me it a no no , I have very good very detailed photos of it on my telephone...but in Samui? When they make a check point for helmets they do not even ask the driving license to any one.

I also take photos of my passport picture page and visa pages and keep them on my phone... Have not had it questioned yet...

• Like 1

My understanding has always been that it's technically a requirement that you do have your passport on you at all times, but they may accept a photocopy (this has come up here on ThaiVisa time and time again.)

That said if you're traveling overland any distance you should always have it on you (which you probably would anway.) Police checks on between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai always ask for ID, although I noticed on my trip this year as much as I had it out they never actually checked, where years past they'd check the stamps, ask me where I was going etc..

Same for France, ID's required. It could be: Identity Card, Passport, Driving Licence, Student Card, etc.

The Finnish law states that anyone above the age of 15 must be able to reliably identify themselves to authorities. A reliable identification can be also carried out by investigative procedures. In practice, this means that everyone has to carry either passport, national ID or driving license at all times. If you do not have one on you, the "investigative procedures" means you are taken in (holding cell) until you are identified. No one really wants to go that way, so everyone keeps some sort of ID on them at all times.

My understanding has always been that it's technically a requirement that you do have your passport on you at all times, but they may accept a photocopy (this has come up here on ThaiVisa time and time again.)

That said if you're traveling overland any distance you should always have it on you (which you probably would anway.) Police checks on between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai always ask for ID, although I noticed on my trip this year as much as I had it out they never actually checked, where years past they'd check the stamps, ask me where I was going etc..

Nobody has ever quoted the law or police order requiring anyone to carry a passport. So unless someone does post that, your understanding does not have any basis in fact other than as a way to provide proof of identity.

Nobody has ever quoted the law or police order requiring anyone to carry a passport. So unless someone does post that, your understanding does not have any basis in fact other than as a way to provide proof of identity.

An interesting issue. The British Embassy state that carrying the passport is a "legal" requirement in Thailand but provides no reference to "the law"

Whether this "requirement" is an urban myth or a factual, legal requirement I really have no idea.

I never carry my passport in the area where I live.

Thai DL has your passport number on it.

Thai police use the same computer system as Immigration.

Presumably they have police radio or a mobile phone, and can contact base to ask.

Which would be much faster than following you home.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

No need to carry any more than the DL.

The DL does carry the passport number and may, in some circumstances, be accepted as ID

However !

The DL does NOT provide any information about a persons immigration status

Only the passport can prove if someone is legally entitled to be in the Kingdom.

No need to carry any more than the DL.

The DL does carry the passport number and may, in some circumstances, be accepted as ID

However !

The DL does NOT provide any information about a persons immigration status

Only the passport can prove if someone is legally entitled to be in the Kingdom.

The police computer has your immigration status <deleted>.