American found dead in Pattaya condo room

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- A 77-year-old American man was found dead in a Pattaya condominium room Wednesday, police said.

Pol Lt Sombat Kaewmoolmook, an interrogator on duty of Pattaya police station, was alerted at 2 pm Wednesday that a foreigner was found dead inside a room of the Center Condotel on South Pattaya Road in Tambon Nongplue of Bang Lamung district.

Sombat led a team of police officers and officials from the Sawang Boribun Thammasathan Pattaya Foundation to check the scene.

The body of Thomas Stamps Darby was found inside the room No 3/483 on the 14th floor of the condominium. He was lying face-down beside the bed and he had no cloths on.

Sombat said officials checked and found no trace of wounds or injuries on his body. The body has started to decompose. Police did not find any trace that suggested that the room might have been searched for valuables.

The condominium manager told police that earlier a foreigner came to the condominium office and informed that he could not contact his friend. The foreigner said he had not seen Darby for a few days.

The manager rushed to check Darby's room. When he knocked the door, the knock was not answered so he had a staff open the room with a spare key and they found the body.

Police suspected that Darby might succumb to his chronic illness. Police found a lot of anti-biotic medicine in the room.

The body was sent for an autopsy at the Police Hospital's Forensic Medicine Institute for checking the cause of the death.

The US embassy has been informed of the incident.

Any time I have tried to sleep late in any hotel, by the early afternoon they always pound on the door. I suspect the cleaners get paid per room so the ladies are going to try and wake me up. RIP old man. Being in Thailand while 77 is not the worst way to go.

To leave this world with no one beside you, is a sad way to go.---WhoWhenWhyWhat

Why who were you thinking of taking with you when you leave WWWW ?................just making up a short list of names .............coffee1.gif

RIP mate as someone said--at least you had a friend who came to look for you after a day or so---- so many council estates in England where they find people had died 6-8 months ago. ......hope you lived a few of your dreams before the ticker gave out.

RIP. Hope his last night was a good one with a talented lady. I'd want to go out that way!

Out of all the wonderful things that life has to offer, sex with a prostitute is not what i value the most. I would rather be surrounded by the warmth of family and friends. Edited by saakura

...I did not personally know of the deceased, but casting a broad net, perhaps he has a background with more similarities with the rest of us than we care to admit.

Perhaps some of his friends can step up to clue us in to what kind of chap he was? Living in Asia represents a steep learning curve to uninitiated. He sound like was not in town on a short holiday.

Who knows about his family and possible siblings? None of us can really pass judgment on Mr. Darby, we do wish him the best. Did he leave behind a family in some moobahn?

We are all just so many steps behind a Mr. Darby.....

We can all dream of our final day, surrounded by kids, grandkids, loving wife of 54 years, church elders,.. you name it. The reality is that the last is not of our choosing, usually.

An old saying 'Today is a good day to die'. Make it so.

RIP, old timer.

Any time I have tried to sleep late in any hotel, by the early afternoon they always pound on the door. I suspect the cleaners get paid per room so the ladies are going to try and wake me up. RIP old man. Being in Thailand while 77 is not the worst way to go.

I rented a condo in Bkk for the first 3 years I lived here (2007-2010) - it was a condo, not a hotel, and there was no "maid service." That's probably why no "cleaners" or "ladies" entered the room earlier.

RIP, fellow Statesider.

Edited by BkruaiRetiree

Yeah, I hope I can check out from a condo in Pattaya is I make it to that age or around there.

RIP.

RIP. Hope his last night was a good one with a talented lady. I'd want to go out that way!

Out of all the wonderful things that life has to offer, sex with a prostitute is not what i value the most. I would rather be surrounded by the warmth of family and friends.

RIP.

No thanks mate.

Get off, before you get off. thats the way to go

Edited by onemorechang

Out of all the wonderful things that life has to offer, sex with a prostitute is not what i value the most. I would rather be surrounded by the warmth of family and friends.

Maybe some people have not sad.png

At least he had a friend who was concerned that he had not seen him for a few days.

Edited by Basil B

Not likely when you move over here at a certain age, dis regarding family and friends that you have known for decades in your home country.

With all due respect to the guy this article is about, why do people always say RIP? For some reason I imagine that once we're gone and return to whatever it is we journeyed from, we'd be more than free as a bird, and be enjoying universe in a way we can't possibly comprehend. But to rest? Nah...got lots of interesting stuff to explore.

Fly on buddy!

Why is it assumed all us old geezers want to do every night is have a hooker? I saw nothing in article that would indicate that. If he was (or I was) feeling poorly last thing would want to do is bring a hooker up to my room. I have gf lives in BKK and visits every couple of weeks. I do not partake of the adult entertainment hostesses here, and if gf not here I sleep alone.

I have family and friends back in USA, but been living here for about 15 years. My living here has nothing to do with "disregarding my family and friends". I was tired of USA, been coming here since 82, and have better lifestyle for my income than could ever have there. They are more than welcome to visit (a few friends have) but it is I who usually return there for yearly visit. Some family/friends say "it is too far to go" to which I answer "It's same distance from here to there as from there to here".