Round flourescent light, problem

grahamg

I live 70k outside Korat,

the last couple of days my round flourescents have been playing up, not coming on or long start up,

I also have power saving lights wich are not affected,and work as normal.

my computer power back up also warns of low power.

my upper floor seems affected most as I can only get one bedroom light to come on.

Anyone else had this problem or are my electrics faulty?

Moving to Electrical.

But I strongly suspect your incoming supply is low voltage, you are showing all the symptoms.

Do you have a multimeter so you can check the incoming voltage?

As said your voltage is likely low due no fault of your own - probably because everyone that can is using air conditioning during this hot period and transformer on pole serving your area is overloaded. Not much you can do except advise electric company of your issues - at some point, with enough issues - they may plan an upgrade. As you have found the power savings lights have a much better track record for working on lower voltage so it might be time to replace fixtures. Those circle lamps do not seem to last long anyhow.

There are several threads regarding use of AVRs (Automatic Voltage Regulators) worth a look.

Also get electronic ballasts for your round fluorescents, these are much more tolerant of low supply voltage.

"electronic ballast" Crossy?

That's not going to fix this:

my computer power back up also warns of low power.

Your first step should be to call the PEA and get them out to check.., it could be a problem upstream at the transformer, or a a bad cable/connection, could be a faulty meter, could be a leak to Earth. If it's only just started, I wouldn't be rushing around to find localized fixes.

"electronic ballast" Crossy?

They come in many shapes and sizes and look much like normal units but do not have transformers to convert voltage. There can be interference issues and I really feel circular tubes are short life and should be returned to the 50's (1950's) where they belong.

Free-shipping-NEW-Circular-tube-AC-220V-

For round fluorescent lights , change to LED, .easy to do

Check there is no live current to the fitting.

Remove every thing from the metal base leaving the two wires from the house wiring.

Fit LED plate to metal base of existing fitting including Led driver, The ones I got are magnetic so not even any screws. 390 Baht from Home Pro

Reconnect the two wires to the driver. job done

Arjen. I'll bet your flashy fluoros have got their switches in the neutral.

If you're using up good quality electronic ballasts in a month you have some serious electrical / power quality issues.

But, as noted, magnetic ballasts are bomb-proof if inefficient.

For round fluorescent lights , change to LED, .easy to do

Check there is no live current to the fitting.

Remove every thing from the metal base leaving the two wires from the house wiring.

Fit LED plate to metal base of existing fitting including Led driver, The ones I got are magnetic so not even any screws. 390 Baht from Home Pro

Reconnect the two wires to the driver. job done

Defeinetly recommend changing the old round fluro lamps for LED's. I recently had a problem with some lights so I bought one as a test. Easy to install for a complete novice like myself and much brighter as well, so I ended up replacing all the lights in the house with LED's.

Wife was happy with the extra brightness and the electric bills are now 300-400 baht a month cheaper.

I switch in live.

Arjen... Have you verified this with a voltmeter referenced to an independent ground probe? We just had our rental house fixed as the NYT cable from the meter was reversed at the main breaker. Whole house had the neutral hot and line at neutral. Our fluorescent lights also flashed at night which was the first clue something was amiss. One the incoming connection was corrected, no flashing or glowing when lights are turned off.

Archived