Nobel laureate Tim Hunt resigns honorary UK post after sexist remarks

webfact

Nobel laureate resigns honorary UK post after sexist remarks

LONDON (AP) — A Nobel Prize-winning British scientist who said there was "trouble with girls" working in laboratories has resigned from his honorary post at University College London.

Tim Hunt apologized for his remarks at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea but had stood by his assertion that mixed-gender labs were disruptive. The university said Wednesday he had left his position after "comments he made about women in science."

UCL says it's the "first university in England to admit women students on equal terms to men" and "this outcome is compatible with our commitment to gender equality."

The 72-year-old Hunt, a biochemist who jointly won the 2001 Nobel for physiology or medicine, said he was just trying to be funny.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-11

Many Many people have met their wives across the bunsen burner, ( so to say) The DM and most of these taboid rags have nothing sensible or good to say about anyone or anything

We call them sxxt stirrers.

This man's contribution to science would have been immense as Nobel prizes are not handed out for the mundane, in saying that it would appear that he is firmly cemented in another age.

I have no idea whether his comments are based in fact or whether they were an attempt at humor, it doesn't really matter as in this modern era comments such as those have no place in the public domain.

This modern age is that of joint ventures and partnerships, where independent and government research laboratories can receive funds, staff and resources from the private sector. In an industry worth literally billions of dollars annually those same private sector companies have a public image to consider, they have other partners who have expectations, and they have their own staff who care about the work environment in which they serve.

Some people may wish to see this as a simple PC issue but it is not, it is far larger than that. The reality is that all people involved at his level should know the boundaries and what is expected of them, any high profile individuals who utter such remarks should not be surprised when the axe doe's eventually fall. The main players in these industries would rather lose staff than their credibility and reputation, now-a-days this should not come as a shock to anyone...

Edited by Bignose

...and considering he actually met his wife 'across the bunsen burner' to quote the DM.

I had a girlfriend I "met" across a Bunsen burner.

Mind you, I did hire her in the first place.

When you're hiring people, why not go for the good looking ones?

Sexist, moi? Too right.

This man's contribution to science would have been immense as Nobel prizes are not handed out for the mundane, in saying that it would appear that he is firmly cemented in another age.

I have no idea whether his comments are based in fact or whether they were an attempt at humor, it doesn't really matter as in this modern era comments such as those have no place in the public domain.

This modern age is that of joint ventures and partnerships, where independent and government research laboratories can receive funds, staff and resources from the private sector. In an industry worth literally billions of dollars annually those same private sector companies have a public image to consider, they have other partners who have expectations, and they have their own staff who care about the work environment in which they serve.

Some people may wish to see this as a simple PC issue but it is not, it is far larger than that. The reality is that all people involved at his level should know the boundaries and what is expected of them, any high profile individuals who utter such remarks should not be surprised when the axe doe's eventually fall. The main players in these industries would rather lose staff than their credibility and reputation, now-a-days this should not come as a shock to anyone...

Yes sure, But one must have the brain to understand the joke.

I feel for this gentleman. It was a joke, often made in labs. The women can be crueler. Those making a fuss have never worked in a research lab. Sometimes the labs are very political where everyone gets used and abused by the senior parasite/lead researcher. Sometimes there is intellectual property theft, bullying and sexual harassment. Other labs are like extended families where the lead researcher takes an interest in the juniors and will often act as a surrogate parent. Tight friendships can often form in the lab, Making jokes at others expense and playing pranks is part of the atmosphere. I have a hunch Dr. Hunt's lab was a friendly place where colleagues were friendly and supportive of each other.

...and considering he actually met his wife 'across the bunsen burner' to quote the DM.

Sexist, moi? Too right.

Obvious conflict of interest. Brain and penis that is.

his assertion that mixed-gender labs were disruptive

Dämn right. But way too non-PC for today's world.

Pity some people can't accept the bleedin' obvious.

Unfortunately the world has overreacted. PC has gone too far. Any statement that hints of PC is immediately stamped upon by those who fear PC the most. We (our collective society) are acting artificially based on a set of arbitrary vague boundaries set by people who are easily offended. Is that normal? Healthy? No, but unfortunately it is our current reality.

Sexist, moi? Too right.

Right,,, We always used to hire the one with the biggest txxs

whistling.gif Many scientists accept that at least in Chimps, it is much more difficult to train a Male Chimpanzee than a female Chimpanzee.

Some say that as Chimpanzees are one of the closest relations to Humans, that also applies to our Human species.

In Chimps it is theorized this is due to the effect of Male hormones in the Chimps that become more belligerent and less capable of learning new tasks as they become mature males.

It still has to proven that any such effect occurs in mature Human males , however.

There are some commentators who note a similar tendency in politicians in the U.K. especially those who vote Tory.... but that is till only a hypothesis.

Sexist, moi? Too right.

Right,,, We always used to hire the one with the biggest txxs

So true, and hers were huuuuge! smile.png

it depends on whether info is based on evidence or is simply a prejudiced irrational remark,

women are trouble for employers, where i work the sickness rate amongst the women in the office is spectacular, that not prejudice its simple reality

based on statistics