Starbucks - a first

Saan

After having managed to avoid Starbucks for its 15 year existence in Australia I finally fell to victim to the ubiquitous chain.

I was inveigled to meet there because it was easy to find - opposite McDonalds in the night bazaar.

The watery iced coffee would have been enough for me to be mightily unhappy if I had paid 30 baht. But two ice coffees and a thin slice of coconut cake came to 385 baht.

It was not just the price, it just was not any bloody good.

Anyway, I've got that out of my system (almost) and guess where I won't be drinking coffee again.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The watery iced coffee would have been enough for me to be mightily unhappy....

Next time, try drinking it before the ice melts.

Thanks for that gratuitous advice. It was watery from the first sip.

Don't tell there is a Starbuck fan club out there.

OP that is an outrageous price!

But I wouldn't patronise that company even if they were the cheapest.

I enjoy good coffee and I'm amazed that so many people keep going to this establishment even after there has been so much publicity about the practice of over roasting the beans.

I mean why would any rational person a premium price for lower quality product?blink.png

Burned Beans — The Shame of Starbucks

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/03/09/burned-beans-the-shame-of-starbucks/

You were lucky to get a seat! Starbuck's s usually rammed with 'digital nomads' clustering around a 60B coupon bought cup of slop caning the 'free' Wi-fi as they, check their Notting Hill property portfolios, international stocks and shares fill out their online surveys and scams...

Starbucks does not offer free WIFI in Chiang Mai. I have never seen people who appear to be digital nomads in Starbucks Chiang Mai.

The coffee is expensive in Starbucks CM, the chairs are comfortable, and the A/C works. It is a great place to get away from the singlet/backpacker crowd, as well as the digital nomads.

For those who count their pennies (or baht), I'm sure you can get an iced coffee in one of those plastic bags somewhere on the street. In this hot weather, it should be fun.

Edited by mesquite

I haven't had a great cup of coffee in any retail shop in Chiang mai ever

I feel pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed at Hillkoff Coffee roasters who are located in Chang Pheauak. They have a small coffee shop outside and inside you can buy what I consider the yummiest coffee you can buy to take home.

http://www.hillkoff.com/?lang=th

Hillkoff does some decent roasts to brew at home, I like the City blend (it's not Mocha just called that - TIT). But I've never had a decent cup at the coffee shop out front. With their Barrister school and all you'd thunk they could train their own staff.

The coffee is expensive in Starbucks CM, the chairs are comfortable, and the A/C works. It is a great place to get away from the singlet/backpacker crowd, as well as the digital nomads.

For those who count their pennies (or baht), I'm sure you can get an iced coffee in one of those plastic bags somewhere on the street. In this hot weather, it should be fun.

Always about cheap charlies, idnit?

There are reasons besides pennies (or baht) to eschew Starbucks. The coffee, for example.

Had a Starbucks crappuchino once, never again. Their success must be a cult thing among certain folk as no-one in my sphere of food and wine excellence ever admits to liking Starbux (or Macca's).

Even Jiffy's Amazon coffee shops serve way better coffee at a fraction of the price.

PS: Best coffee I've found, other than at home, is Sarin in Ubon Ratchathani ... back of the Shell servo in cbd.

Edited by kaptainrob

Always about cheap charlies, idnit?

There are reasons besides pennies (or baht) to eschew Starbucks. The coffee, for example.

Then please do, for whatever reason. It's sometimes a bit too crowded anyway.

Starbucks in countries like Thailand do whatever they want. No quality control.

In the states you can get a good American coffee for 60 baht. Sure you can spend

120 baht for some exotic coffee. Between the Haters and the Cheap Charlies on this site I would expect nothing less.

I found the second floor of the Starbucks at Thapae Gate to be a fantastic place to watch the Flower Parade in February. Bought an iced coffee-tasting drink and was left alone to watch the entire parade. Good, clean toilets available and on the second floor, also.

You were lucky to get a seat! Starbuck's s usually rammed with 'digital nomads' clustering around a 60B coupon bought cup of slop caning the 'free' Wi-fi as they, check their Notting Hill property portfolios, international stocks and shares fill out their online surveys and scams...

Sound a little bitter. Did you fall for an online scam once? Or maybe twice?

I haven't had a great cup of coffee in any retail shop in Chiang mai ever

Try the little one-man coffee shop next to the Samsung Service centre. (Sri pum Rd - north side of the canal)

He grinds it while you wait and it's the nicest coffee I've had a long time. I think it was 90baht.

Crikey, you could have got some Elephant dung coffee for that price!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/831852-expensive-espresso-thailands-elephant-dung-coffee/

Vietnamese weasel coffee made by collecting coffee beans eaten by wild civets, is sold at US$3,000 per kilogram sick.gif

So those who are foolish with their palette are equally foolish with their wallet.

It's always fashionable to criticize a place as popular as Starbucks. It gives one an air of superiority, or in this case, a sign of a more discerning palate.

I certainly agree Starbucks is overpriced, especially for Chiang Mai, but I would also objectively say I think they make a great Mocha Cappuccino. The whipped creammon top is particularly rich, also. I find the upstairs lounge area quite nice and relaxing, but was disappointed they wanted to charge me for wifi..

I also don't understand the Starbucks thing. To me their coffee is garbage. On a recent trip to America there was absolutely no other choice to buy "espresso style coffee", only that terrible stuff they sell in American "coffee shops" (diners) that they come around to refill all the time. So if we wanted an espresso or cappuccino we were forced to buy it from Starbucks. At some locations, there were as many as 30 people in the queue to buy their coffee. I don't get it.

There are so many good places in town to buy coffee. My favorite is Pacamara. I don't understand the Thai kids dropping 120+ Baht on lousy coffee at Starbucks. I guess it's fashionable or something.

It's always fashionable to criticize a place as popular as Starbucks.

Not as fashionable as it is for some people to rave about them, which considering their coffee is tantamount to drinking dog wee with ground up poo in it is quite remarkable.