Penalty for not paying rent in time

banagan

Depends on your landlord.

Mine is a lovely Chinese lady who totally adores me. I signed a one year lease which expired 2 & 1/2 years ago.

She hasn't increased the rent in 3 & 1/2 years and I pay on whatever date I want, although I try to pay around the 20th.

I have been a landlord for over 10yrs and yes I have had late payments despite me insisiting a standing order form is completed at the onset of a tenancy.

not once have I had the excuse "forgot"

I have had "the wife lost her job"... "the wifes got womens problems"..."its an expensive month"......"its christmas"....."I had to take 4 week off work with depression" "i used the money to put petrol in the car to get to work" "really I didn't know, its the banks fault"..."I am a bit short this month because I redecorated the house"

I forget the specifics of my tenancy agreement that I hand out but it says something like 5% per day will be deducted from the deposit for every day over the due date.

first port of call is to get the gas and electric meters changed to token meters as I am not being left with those outstanding credit bills.(even though I know I wouldn't)

My tenants get a strong word that it gets up to date within 5 days otherwise the house will be reposessed by the mortgagae company. I give them the sob story about their rent is paying the mortgage and I get letters from the bank to say its outstanding and in arrears. all bull hit of course but they cave in every time.

As a tenant you signed a contract to keep up with payments; so do it; its stealing; landlords are not charities and because they own another house doesn't make them able to afford a month without paying.

In life priority number 1.....................pay for the roof over your head..................priority 2...........pay to feed yourself

down the list....gas/electric/council tax/wifi/cable tv these are multi mega financially sound companies that your have little regard for especially compared with your landlord; who is human.

but you know; the plebs in life; the plebs renting property seem to think priority number 1 is Cigarettes/alcohol/taxis/internet connection/hp payments on big screen tv/...........and disposable nappies!

......................and thats why they are renting!!!!!

Edited by eyecatcher

I have been a landlord for over 10yrs and yes I have had late payments despite me insisiting a standing order form is completed at the onset of a tenancy.

I have had "the wife lost her job"... "the wifes got womens problems"..."its an expensive month"......"its christmas"....."I had to take 4 week off work with depression" "i used the money to put petrol in the car to get to work" "really I didn't know, its the banks fault"..."I am a bit short this month because I redecorated the house"

I forget the specifics of my tenancy agreement that I hand out but it says something like 5% per day will be deducted from the deposit for every day over the due date.

first port of call is to get the gas and electric meters changed to token meters as I am not being left with those outstanding credit bills.(even though I know I wouldn't)

My tenants get a strong word that it gets up to date within 5 days otherwise the house will be reposessed by the mortgagae company. I give them the sob story about their rent is paying the mortgage and I get letters from the bank to say its outstanding and in arrears. all bull hit of course but they cave in every time.

As a tenant you signed a contract to keep up with payments; so do it; its stealing; landlords are not charities and because they own another house doesn't make them able to afford a month without paying.

In life priority number 1.....................pay for the roof over your head..................priority 2...........pay to feed yourself

down the list....gas/electric/council tax/wifi/cable tv these are multi mega financially sound companies that your have little regard for especially compared with your landlord; who is human.

but you know; the plebs in life; the plebs renting property seem to think priority number 1 is Cigarettes/alcohol/taxis/internet connection/hp payments on big screen tv/...........and disposable nappies!

Since it's Sunday, I will say Amen. What I owe or don't owe on my mortgage doesn't have a thing to do with rent amount or if it can be paid late, They always run the A/C about 5c cooler than me, and never will spend a Dollar to change a filter. You can always expect 50+ nail holes in the walls, too. I guess they have to display all their "achievements" like graduating from middle school and being a grandmother at age 34. A 50cm wide oil stain under each car is also mandatory. I had one that completely disassembled the ice-maker because the noise bothered him, when the cubes fell. Shelves in the frig: broken, microwave carousel: broken as well as the motor that turns it, because they will put in a plate that doesn't fit......Deposits and credit checks...zero pets, and minimal kids.

troll post for sure

the landlord will be knocking your door at 1 day late

It could be a troll for stating they "forgot", but where I was, they charged 100 baht a day after the fifth day.

Unsure why ppl would advertise how irresponsible they are, but this scenario is believable.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

I agree with eyecatcher and bangmai that most of the people who end up renting in the USA are lower class and can be a nightmare. However, here in Thailand there are some real good quality tenants. Often people who are homeowners in their own country and renters here.

The thing is that you have to sort the quality ones from the scum, if you get don't get it right before the tenant moves in then "I forgot my rent" is an ideal opportunity to address the situation, ideally by getting rid of that tenant and replacing the tenant with one who does not forget the rent.

Most tenancy agreements in Thailand have a clause that allows the landlord to terminate the agreement if the other party is in breach of the terms, and forgetting the rent is a breach and hence the agreement can be considered null and void.

A landlord is not a social worker, or a bank.

Edited by technologybytes

I agree with eyecatcher and bangmai that most of the people who end up renting in the USA are lower class and can be a nightmare. However, here in Thailand there are some real good quality tenants. Often people who are homeowners in their own country and renters here.

The thing is that you have to sort the quality ones from the scum, if you get don't get it right before the tenant moves in then "I forgot my rent" is an ideal opportunity to address the situation, ideally by getting rid of that tenant and replacing the tenant with one who does not forget the rent.

Most tenancy agreements in Thailand have a clause that allows the landlord to terminate the agreement if the other party is in breach of the terms, and forgetting the rent is a breach and hence the agreement can be considered null and void.

A landlord is not a social worker, or a bank.

Wow, I thought your first post in this thread (post #12) was asinine but you've managed to top even that with this post. Great job!

I trust you feel better now that you've let the other members of the forum know how far superior you are to the groveling masses you deem worthy of your largesse.

Rachman lives...

There are some good renters out there, and a high percentage of them will have excellent credit reports. Every day on FB, there are younger people looking for sub-letters only a few months into their lease...do you think it is the first time they didn't fulfill their commitments?

Despite Council Tenancy and "renters unions"in a truly free society one is not entitled to a roof over their head at the expense of others. One should only be free to make a living and provide for oneself and family.

I actually believe somebody could forget to make a payment, but these sob stories are all lies from people trying to take advantage. Fortunately for landlords in developed countries credit checks are quite revealing. (Not so easy in Thailand renting to Farangs perhaps). My little sister has rental properties and some of the credit reports she sees are comical. Even so in California a landlord with late pay renters has to contact the county Sherriff, who has 3 business days to act, then the renter has 5 days to respond to the "notice to quit". Then if they pay the rent due (plus penalty) every thing is OK. They can get away with this 3 TIMES IN A YEAR before they can be evicted for late payments with just cause. Meanwhile, if the landlord takes any action to deny the renter access, turns off utilities, or even threatens them with calling immigration, the landlord is guilty of an offense!

I think I would prefer the Thai system. Rock up to the cop shop with some baht and say "Hey guys wanna kick a deadbeat out of town? Then we can go to the pub and chat up some beer pretties, I'm buying."

Edited by arunsakda