Volunteer Teaching at WAT

Some clarification on the work permit issue. A work permit is not required if the volunteer work is done not to a schedule. For example, You can volunteer for a beach clean up that is sponsored by the local govt, then 4 days later, you can volunteer for a diving clean up also sponsored by a business or local govt. Both are work, both are voluntary, both are not scheduled on a regular basis.

So, if a couple of monks at the local Wat would like English lessons, do not set a schedule or set times.

Some clarification on the work permit issue. A work permit is not required if the volunteer work is done not to a schedule. For example, You can volunteer for a beach clean up that is sponsored by the local govt, then 4 days later, you can volunteer for a diving clean up also sponsored by a business or local govt. Both are work, both are voluntary, both are not scheduled on a regular basis.

So, if a couple of monks at the local Wat would like English lessons, do not set a schedule or set times.

schedule has nothing to do with it, you need a permit

some further clarification, your clarification is technically and legally incorrect...irrespective one requires a WP, volunteers require a WP

there are no exclusions worded as you have stated under the current rules

LeeThayer... Maybe some official paperwork to back up your assertions would be good. OP. I don't think you would get in to trouble as it's Buddhist monks but probably a good idea to get the abbot to chat to your local immigration office.. Say you are doing it for merit!

I always thought that you could not be arrested for a crime in a Wat !

If that is true then how could you be arrested for teaching without a work permit, if it was done in a Wat ?

if it was true, which i doubt) you still would have to leave tha wat sometime

I always thought that you could not be arrested for a crime in a Wat !

If that is true then how could you be arrested for teaching without a work permit, if it was done in a Wat ?

if it was true, which i doubt) you still would have to leave tha wat sometime

Maybe the OP needs to become a Monk, and he never has to leave, a bit like Hotel California tongue.png

• Like 1

Do you have a link to this very important breaking news ?

Great, thanks for the responses guys I'll have a chat to the abbot

cheers

Ask him to have a chat with the labour office instead of immigration though. He may get more joy on the actual 'working' side of things.......wink.png

Great, thanks for the responses guys I'll have a chat to the abbot

cheers

Ask him to have a chat with the labour office instead of immigration though. He may get more joy on the actual 'working' side of things.......wink.png

True enough BUT it's immigration that will be the one's taking him to prison!

Are the temples so poor that donating your time is really where you want to allocate your charity??

I would guess that YOU might THINK they are so poor, but they are not, not at all. Besides being illegal and them trying to talk you into doing it anyway, why don't you find a truly needy charity or some individual people who do need the help? There are a lot of "boat people" who apparently could use all kinds of help right now, and I am sure many other groups who are real charities a person could be proud to help.

Or just don't do it ...maybe you weren't looking for a project??