Research Submission Protocol

Rhys

OK gents... Thai Conference Protocols

Let's say.....Your research article was accepted with minor revisions....but for some reason you were not able to make the corrected thus you withdrew the article from the conference proceeding. Next your abstract is in the conference handout book, and you were voluntold to give an oral presentation of your research... and told you can submit your paper at another conference..

Question: is that not a form of self plagiarism?

Mixed responses.. some say it is ok because your paper does not appear in the conference proceeding.

Some say, it only matters if you are sending your article to a journal.

Some say..NO way because your abstract is based on the data from your research article..

Comments..

Perfectly normal protocol. The abstract can be accepted plus an oral presentation. The paper can be presented at a subsequent conference and can include feedback from the preceding conference. The abstract at the succeeding conference can also be edited to reflect the preceding contributions. The point now is that the conference editor/team considers you have something worthwhile to contribute at this point in time despite you not ponying up the requested changes. If you are in a position to do so, make that oral contribution and thank the organisers for inviting you. A small note re the timeline is that your abstract was probably scheduled for inclusion prior to your withdrawal which is an unusual situation anyway unless you are up in arms over the edits requested.

Thanks...the Unknown conference has gone away, the abstract was in print, the oral presentation given... the research article does not appear in the conference proceedings.

Now options on the research paper...begin.whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Based on where you working I would advise ethics go out of the window. however just a little tweak if you want.

I have thought about this.. but.. just my luck.. I get called on the carpet.. thus no word from the conference.. I will not use it.. Cheers

coffee1.gif

when I try to make sense of submitting papers to journals I notice some state that if you have only submitted an abstract or used in presentation its ok to publish, but there are so many rules.

at the end of the day its what you think is correct

when I try to make sense of submitting papers to journals I notice some state that if you have only submitted an abstract or used in presentation its ok to publish, but there are so many rules. at the end of the day its what you think is correct

At the end of the day it is about checking the rules and where unclear approaching the organisers for clarification. If there is still doubt then do not submit the previous paper but 'refresh' it as something new. That's what most do: regurgitate but ensure that the boundaries are observed so that the regurgitation appears otherwise. That's how it works.

when I try to make sense of submitting papers to journals I notice some state that if you have only submitted an abstract or used in presentation its ok to publish, but there are so many rules. at the end of the day its what you think is correct

At the end of the day it is about checking the rules and where unclear approaching the organisers for clarification. If there is still doubt then do not submit the previous paper but 'refresh' it as something new. That's what most do: regurgitate but ensure that the boundaries are observed so that the regurgitation appears otherwise. That's how it works.

Waiting for a response from the conference..nada... Refresh, rewrite, paint over... discourse over the disciplines..right...

Waiting for a response from the conference..nada... Refresh, rewrite, paint over... discourse over the disciplines..right...

Yes, think of it as relabelling supermarket meat that has gone past its sell by date.

Archived