Poll shows most people disagree with banned politicians be allowed to return to politics

Lite Beer

To answer the question: What is a political crime??

It is really very simple!! Remember old Samak ?

This red shirt wearing gentleman was hosting a cooking show 4 times (salary going to charity) and judged by yellow shirted judiciary to have committed a political crime and ordered to step down as a PM !!

No wonder that the voters, who once again had seen their votes voided by the elite, were losing patience. Which sadly led to the violent protests in 2010. With nobody to blame but the elite and their mighty sponsors!!

Source for the Samak story:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/sep/09/thailand1

I Googled - "Thaksin Shinawatra convicted..............." and there were 133,000 results.

I googled Abraham Lincoln convicted criminal and there were 574,000 results

I googled me and only got 8 hits. No politics for me then ?

Nelson Mandela, a convicted criminal, became president of RSA.

Kim Dae Jung, a convicted criminal, became president of the Republic of Korea.

Bobby Mugabe, a convicted criminal, became president of Zimbabwe.

Erich Honecker, a convicted criminal, became president of the German Democratic Republic.

Joseph Stalin, a convicted criminal, became leader of the USSR...

To answer the question: What is a political crime??

It is really very simple!! Remember old Samak ?

This red shirt wearing gentleman was hosting a cooking show 4 times (salary going to charity) and judged by yellow shirted judiciary to have committed a political crime and ordered to step down as a PM !!

No wonder that the voters, who once again had seen their votes voided by the elite, were losing patience. Which sadly led to the violent protests in 2010. With nobody to blame but the elite and their mighty sponsors!!

Source for the Samak story:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/sep/09/thailand1

Firstly, Samak was never a red shirt.He was a political animal that sold out to the highest bidder.

Secondly, the reason he had to step down was because he perjured himself, claiming he wasn't paid. Where the charity BS came from I can only imagine.

Thirdly, IIRC the company paying him was also bidding for government contracts/licensing.

Fourthly, he could have been re-instated the next day. Instead Thaksin appointed his BIL.

Fifthly, his "democracy schools" and UDD propagandists misrepresented that, and every other situation, to their own advantage. His political lackeys also continued to break electoral law wherever possible, hoping to be prosecuted, to help the false perception of persecution to further stoke unrest.

I Googled - "Thaksin Shinawatra convicted..............." and there were 133,000 results.

But if the survey is accurate, more than 50% of the population don't want convicted criminals running for office. Isn't that what democracy is all about. No, of course not, it just means having elections.

But if the survey is accurate, more than 50% of the population don't want convicted criminals running for office. Isn't that what democracy is all about. No, of course not, it just means having elections.

So in fact, according to this poll, more than 50% of the population have elected not to have convicted criminals running for office...

Pro-Junta Polls Only, Says Prayuth

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/pro-junta-polls-only-says-prayuth/31818/

No I don't think that is what the people who defined democracy had in mind. Do you think the posters here don't read Thai Visa?smile.png

Edited by lostoday

so he's banned 'anti-junta' polls

so now we have only 'pro- junta' polls

where are the junta lovers? djjamie, mikemac, costas and the other right wing loonies

this is your moment to defend the indefensible

what say YOU

so he's banned 'anti-junta' polls

so now we have only 'pro- junta' polls

where are the junta lovers? djjamie, mikemac, costas and the other right wing loonies

this is your moment to defend the indefensible

what say YOU

"But Thaksin...."

83.56 % told that they would be OK with just everything if they get 500 Baht.

People vote for economic reasons like stopping immigration or pulling out of European Union or not paying your EU loans or 500 baht. What is so odd about that. Were not the elections in Greece and Scotland and the UK all based on economic factors? In the US there is a saying , "it's the economy stupid."

Edited by lostoday

they will ban anyone who does not tow the party line, jail anyone who meets with friends in public to protest and shut up any journalist who dares trying being 'investigative'

farangs who support this are unbelievable in their hypocrisy as they would wail and scream if this happened in their little 'farangland' back home

a dark, dark day for Thailand to ban those they fear and then use the 'public' to justify it through polls

Can you give a specific example of anyone banned for having a different view, in Thailand, since the current government took office?

What happened to journalists or HR lawyers who tried being investigative with previous regimes?

they will ban anyone who does not tow the party line, jail anyone who meets with friends in public to protest and shut up any journalist who dares trying being 'investigative'

farangs who support this are unbelievable in their hypocrisy as they would wail and scream if this happened in their little 'farangland' back home

a dark, dark day for Thailand to ban those they fear and then use the 'public' to justify it through polls

Can you give a specific example of anyone banned for having a different view, in Thailand, since the current government took office?

What happened to journalists or HR lawyers who tried being investigative with previous regimes?

Dozens of Thai students who were dragged away and held overnight by police after they staged an anti-coup protest in Bangkok on Friday were "merely invited for talks", a senior police officer says.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-23/detained-thai-student-protesters-merely-invited-for-talks/6492260

Edited by lostoday

Dozens of Thai students who were dragged away and held overnight by police after they staged an anti-coup protest in Bangkok on Friday were "merely invited for talks", a senior police officer says.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-23/detained-thai-student-protesters-merely-invited-for-talks/6492260

So in those "talks" they were told they were banned from seeking election to public office?

So in those "talks" they were told they were banned from seeking election to public office?

The poster that I was responding to wrote banned. The students were banned from talking.

I didn't know you wanted information about people banned from office. But that's not hard to find. Here you go below.

Boonsong Teriyaphirom, commerce minister in Yingluck's government, was banned from politics for five years by the National Legislative Assembly.

Poom Sarapol, Boonsong's former deputy commerce minister, and Manas Soiploy, a former director-general of the Department of Foreign Trade, were also banned from office

"Thailand's military-appointed legislature banned a former minister from office on Friday over corrupt rice export deals, months after former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was impeached for negligence over a rice-pledging scheme."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/08/uk-thailand-politics-idUKKBN0NT0KH20150508

Edited by lostoday

The poster that I was responding to wrote banned. The students were banned from talking.

I didn't know you wanted information about people banned from office. But that's not hard to find. Here you go below.

Boonsong Teriyaphirom, commerce minister in Yingluck's government, was banned from politics for five years by the National Legislative Assembly.

Poom Sarapol, Boonsong's former deputy commerce minister, and Manas Soiploy, a former director-general of the Department of Foreign Trade, were also banned from office

"Thailand's military-appointed legislature banned a former minister from office on Friday over corrupt rice export deals, months after former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was impeached for negligence over a rice-pledging scheme."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/08/uk-thailand-politics-idUKKBN0NT0KH20150508

Was that because the junta "fear or don't like them" or because of the criminal actions and abuse of office? Is that really the best you can do, criminals who have stolen billions by defrauding the nation? would you have them stand for election again, or allow their criminal buddy to appoint them as party list MPs?

Was that because the junta "fear or don't like them" or because of the criminal actions and abuse of office? Is that really the best you can do, criminals who have stolen billions by defrauding the nation? would you have them stand for election again, or allow their criminal buddy to appoint them as party list MPs?

Who has been convicted of a crime? I believe the ban came before any convictions but if I'm wrong let me know. Any crimes that would hold up in an international court of law let us in on it.

They could just ban the Shin related party and the Democrats and hold elections, policed by government officials to make sure vote buying does not occur.

The Shins and anyone ever associated with them should be banned for the good of the country. And it would make the remaining parties think twice about doing anything corrupt. thumbsup.gif

Shin party: yes

But Democrats on what base? For being terrible inefficient? They didn't do anything corrupt, well they didn't do anything.

If you also ban everyone associated with the Shins (this is basically all the other parties in the last coalition) you have no one left but the Democrats and Abhisit didn't do so well the last time he tried.