Another good Japanese dinner!

FolkGuitar

Just returned from dinner with my wife at "Ai Sushi," the Japanese restaurant on the corner of Huay Kaew Rd opposite the Shell Gas station. It's a full-menu restaurant with more than enough choices to suit any palate, both traditional Japanese fare plus a few new 'fusion' dishes for the adventurous! Everything is priced well, the wait staff is on the ball, and the only complaint one might make would be the ambiance. But I lived in Japan for 15 years before moving to Thailand, and the ambiance is really no different from the 'corner sushi shop' in Kyoto or Tokyo. The menu certainly looks the same (except it's easier to read,) and the food served just the way you'd expect to get it anywhere in Japan.

Couldn't ask for better! My wife had the Tempura set, and I had the Sushi set with an extra side order of Ebi Maki (Shrimp sushi rolled in nori.) The fish was as fresh as could be, ice cold, while the warm rice was perfectly seasoned with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. The tempura coating on my wife's dinner was light and airy, crisp, and nicely coating the shrimp and vegetables without overwhelming them. Both sets came with a bowl of miso soup, a bowl of rice, and a small dish of tsukemono. Dinner for the two of us cost B450. For a delicious full meal at a reasonable price, this place gets high marks!

Edited by FolkGuitar

I love this place. Big sized portions and fresh. They also offer a lot more Japanese food than Sushi. Busy every night. Not hard to understand why. I was there a couple of weeks ago and on their menu was something about opening a new place on canal road. Not sure where about.

As for the ambiance I know what you mean but I am going to eat good food at cheap prices, for what you get.

Edit.

One thing I would like to add is that my girlfriend is not a fan of Sushi but loves going to this place as there is so much more on the menu.

Edited by Throatwobbler

Edit.

One thing I would like to add is that my girlfriend is not a fan of Sushi but loves going to this place as there is so much more on the menu.

Absolutely! There is Okonomiyaki (Osaka's signature dish, often called 'Japanese pizza,' but only because of the looks. It's really more like a fancy pancake,) Tonkastsu (deep fried breaded pork cutlet,) Curry Raisu (curried meat and potatoes over rice,) Oyakudon, Gyudon, Yakitori, Ramen, Udon, Beef steak-Japanese style, Tempura, and a whole host of other dishes, to say nothing of all the different sushi and sashimi choices.

I've recently been to the location in the OP twice and to their new Canal Road location twice- I had three great meals, but the last one was below par for the place (not terrible, but not up to their usual standard). I would atill re commend the place, but not with the same enthusiasm I had before. Maybe it was just an off night, but the sushi lacked its usual freshness.