Bangkok Administration to collect 'large garbage'

webfact

RAINY SEASON
BMA to collect 'large garbage'

NATTHAPAT PHROMKAEW
THE NATION

30262321-01_big.jpg?1434320973811

BANGKOK: -- THE BANGKOK Metropolitan Administration (BMA)will |collect large pieces of garbage from city residents every Sunday, an initiative launched to try and reduce the problem of garbage hindering the capital's water-drainage capacity.

Please don't dump your garbage into the Lat Phrao Canal," Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said yesterday. He spoke as he inspected the Lat Phrao Temple to follow up on the progress of a garbage-collection campaign.

The BMA has retrieved more than 10 tonnes of garbage from pipes and sieves at Bangkok pump stations every time city officials rush to facilitate the flow of water out of the capital.

Such a huge amount of garbage, the BMA pointed out, impeded quick drainage of water following downpours.

The rainy season has already started, and parts of Bangkok have been swamped.

On June 8, flooded streets unleashed a traffic nightmare and generated a lot of |criticism directed against the Sukhumbhand-led city |administration.

The governor and city clerk Sanya Chenimit yesterday checked the water-drainage |system at the Klong Kratium pump station to ensure it can deal with upcoming downpours.

The Meteorological Department has forecast higher rainfall in the coming week.

The Klong Kratium pump station is one of the capital's four main pump stations. It is expected to ease the risk of flooding over a nearby 100-square-kilometre area, which includes Lat Phrao.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/BMA-to-collect-large-garbage-30262321.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-15

Burying in ground? You must be joking. Those sofa's all end up in the local lakes in my district, or as landfill. Sometimes they are put on fire but most have to rot away.

I also have no idea how to get rid of a sofa in Bangkok. Most people pay their gardeners or contractors to dump big things with their pickup. Then it ends up in those klongs or along the highway in the swamp..

But allright, this time the excuse was some sofa's clogging up the drains. Wonder what his excuse will be next week. This story ain't over yet i guess.

Good move, but let the regular rubbish collection work first.

The rubbish collectors are 3 days late this week.

Some of the neighbours pack their rubbish in plastic bags, which in turn are ripped open by street dogs and poor people rummaging through the waste.

Where does all the spilled litter go?.......down the drains!

Because of the poor quality of large furniture here in Thailand I imagine this large "garbage" is seeing a 100% turnover every 2 or 3 years. I know my recliner which is about 18 months old is on its last leg. Every time I vacuum I find screws under the chair. Also the vinyl is peeling just like a bad sunburn. Oh well at 10,000 bahts a pop and if I get 2 years out of it it is still cheaper than "Lazy Boy" at 50,000 baht a pop. At my age why buy something that lasts forever.

Where I live (in the UK) the local authority will always collect what we can not dispose through regular wast collections of like furniture, washing machines, fridges, cookers, even wast from DIY kitchen and bathroom referbs, you just phone up the local council, no charge, they just come round and pick it up, policy is it is cheaper than clearing illegal dumps.

There is a lot of large garbage around , often seen atop bar stools in ..........................

Or on chairs in front of computer screens showing Thai Visa Forum. Sofas are not the problem.

They could start in Soi Nana, and go on down Sukhumvit from there. It it's wearing shorts and a singlet, scoop it up. As for the sofa, it looks like it just needs some upholstering, and some TLC.