Brother of PM one of two in line to be next Thai Army chief

webfact

It doesn't matter who is head of the army as, 1). There are no enemies to be fought, 2). There are no Eisenhowers, Pattons, Monties

in all of Thailand with any, ( none ), proven battle experience, 3). The present 1,600 Generals, wearing uniforms bearing 8 pounds of unearned campaign hardware, will confuse the new leader just to learn their names and, 4). The new submarines will keep imagined invaders from Thai shores when not aground.

While the Thai defence forces are undoubtedly top heavy, your points also indicate that they are successful. There are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent, without them that situation could change rapidly.

They also have managed to avoid any major battles, which some us can see as much more successful than a military careering around the world, invading other countries and getting involved in any dispute available, usually changing it from petty to major, and creating more enemies than friends in doing so. It also has the benefit of returning nearly all enlistees alive, and equipped with skills they have learned while not killing people.

I wonder exactly what you know about the Thai Armed Forces? They are 'successful' because there are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent.

I suppose you mean a Navy with no submarines and an aircraft carrier with no aircraft?. Or could it be an Army that isn't capable of detecting numerous camps of Rohingya refugees on it's border and can't control it's stock of M16 rifles? If not, then it must be the Airforce that stands alone to defend the Kingdom?. Having so many Generals doesn't place the country in a position of strength, it just means that money is spent on 'non-active' personnel to the detriment of badly needed 'front-line' resources.

Have you ever wondered what might happen if Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia or Myanmar invaded Thailand? Despite what you may think about the US opinion of the Junta, any pre-emptive moves by neighbouring countries would result in a quick response by US Armed Forces, since Uncle Sam still regards Thailand as a very useful friend to have in SE Asia. It could be that Thailand's neighbours might be wary of getting a bloody nose from the US, and are thus 'deterred'..

Finally, why not compare the number of Thai Armed Forces personnel with the UK's, and then tell me which country you would bet on in a direct conflict of arms. It's a 'no-brainer', isn't it?

You're right of course, the Thai military is nothing much to be feared. In fact, why does any country need a military when we have the World's Policeman to whistle up to defend us? Better start with those elections right away before the B-52s start dropping napalm. Lucky we ain't got much oil, eh.

You've got me with the UK. Remind me again why the UK needs all that military. Aren't they supposed to be in bed with those they normally go to war with. Oh yeah, for a head to head with Thailand. So which one is more likely to invade the other?

Failure to detect sarcasm isn't my fault, it's yours.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well well surprise same same crapola at least he will be sure there will not be a coup to houst him or .... maybe little brother wants everything for himself

as the coup saga continues

good thai soap movie material

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Their family must be so proud, 2 sons doing so well based purely on ability and skills.

Almost like the Shinawatras. Police, Military, 3PMs....but OK they are more people

Trying to keep from drowning in your sea of lies? Maybe Costas can throw you some straw to grab at.

Your General and his army promised this would stop. No corruption no nepotism blah blah blah. Today we see the result. We also see that corruption has actually increased with the Phuket beaches being handed over to the small group of families who run the islamd. Now 50% of Patong Beach "belongs" to the jet skis. No the offshore islands which once banned jetskis, are forced to allow them. The crooked real estate developers are in high gear in the south and the new Palm Oil subsidy program will soon kick in.

So yea, tell me how anything changed. All we need are some beautiful women and we could have Thailand's version of Dynasty

post-46941-0-06696500-1434377103_thumb.j

I would support any General who has the balls and the integrity to cancel/halt any further designs on an absurd submarine fleet.

Wouldn't that be the Admiral's decision?

Navy rather that army perhaps.

Sort of. Procurement in Thailand is handled by head office central command and it is packed with army generals. Yes there will be navy input, but its the army who control the overall budget. The army generals have all the senior positions in the current administration. The navy can make the request, but I bet if anything is spent it there will be designated army officers as "agents" and "distributors". Remember, Thailand has never signed the WTO Government Procurement (Integrity) Agreement.

446 generals or higher rank ? How many generals do they have ?

I believe that prior to 2014 there were 1,750 "flag officers" (army and air force generals, navy admirals). In 2014 and 2015 another 1,000+ flag officers were added for a total of 2,750 flag officers. During its Middle East and Pacific military operations in 2011 the USA had less than 1,000 flag officers.

A rule of thumb is one flag officer per 10,000 military personnel. Thailand has more than 100 flag officers per 10,000 military personnel.

No wonder military coups are such a vital part of Thai military - employs a lot of generals who generally can't be doing much.

It doesn't matter who is head of the army as, 1). There are no enemies to be fought, 2). There are no Eisenhowers, Pattons, Monties

in all of Thailand with any, ( none ), proven battle experience, 3). The present 1,600 Generals, wearing uniforms bearing 8 pounds of unearned campaign hardware, will confuse the new leader just to learn their names and, 4). The new submarines will keep imagined invaders from Thai shores when not aground.

While the Thai defence forces are undoubtedly top heavy, your points also indicate that they are successful. There are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent, without them that situation could change rapidly.

They also have managed to avoid any major battles, which some us can see as much more successful than a military careering around the world, invading other countries and getting involved in any dispute available, usually changing it from petty to major, and creating more enemies than friends in doing so. It also has the benefit of returning nearly all enlistees alive, and equipped with skills they have learned while not killing people.

"There are no enemies to be fought". Then why have an army?

If I wrote a meaningful reply, would you read the whole sentence? Rhetorical question only.

"There are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent". Deterrent against whom, against what nation, with what equipment, with what training? Do you know what a "question" is, rhetorical or otherwise because you didn't ask one.

That is a lot of Generals.

Seems that Prayuts younger brother has risen through the ranks and gained valuable experience and credentials on the way to the top. He is a veteran soldier that has studied at military school and can certainly bring a wealth of military experience and background to which ever role he is chosen for. Of course being a brother helps, but he is not green as grass and filling a role he has no idea on.

Good to see that Prayut does not follow in thaksins nepotistic footsteps by bringing in completely unqualified and inexperienced relatives for positions that are so obviously out of their depth, but were filled by these relatives simply to fulfil the needs of a criminal at the behest of the majority. Don't need to go past yingluck to see a person fill a position that has no experience or background in politics. Zero experience and it showed. Surapong who filled the defence ministers role, but was clueless in what it entailed. Zero experience and it showed.

If Prayuts younger brother was not a veteran military staff member and then brought in as a General it would get the same response from me that the above people did. If yingluck and surapong were veteran politicans and filled the role while bringing something to it that embedded confidence then they would get the same response from me that Prayut's brother is getting.

It is not the person, it is what they bring to the role.

A veteran soldier who has never fired a shot at anything but a paper target, who, indeed, graduated from military school but it was THAI military school supervised also by people who have no actual combat experience. Diplomas do not a leader make !

Seems that Prayuts younger brother has risen through the ranks and gained valuable experience and credentials on the way to the top. He is a veteran soldier that has studied at military school and can certainly bring a wealth of military experience and background to which ever role he is chosen for. Of course being a brother helps, but he is not green as grass and filling a role he has no idea on.

Good to see that Prayut does not follow in thaksins nepotistic footsteps by bringing in completely unqualified and inexperienced relatives for positions that are so obviously out of their depth, but were filled by these relatives simply to fulfil the needs of a criminal at the behest of the majority. Don't need to go past yingluck to see a person fill a position that has no experience or background in politics. Zero experience and it showed. Surapong who filled the defence ministers role, but was clueless in what it entailed. Zero experience and it showed.

If Prayuts younger brother was not a veteran military staff member and then brought in as a General it would get the same response from me that the above people did. If yingluck and surapong were veteran politicans and filled the role while bringing something to it that embedded confidence then they would get the same response from me that Prayut's brother is getting.

A veteran soldier who has never fired a shot at anything but a paper target, who, indeed, graduated from military school but it was THAI military school supervised also by people who have no actual combat experience. Diplomas do not a leader make !

Possibly shot at one or two unarmed civilians but I would bet that he has never been on a 2 way range and certainly never been toe to toe with the bad guys

Can the apologists truly say hand on heart that they don't believe this is anything but blatant in your face nepotism??? for me it just shows the complete contempt him and the rest of his ilk have for their own society, they simply don't care and believe they are above the law and you apologists swallow it hook line and sinker, sad!

There have never been any discussion on where the great leader and his family amassed their wealth which is out of all proportion to their earnings, they talk about stamping out this and that but it is nothing but hot air, nothing will change until the military and the Hi So's are harnessed and made accountable, wont hold my breath....

Any society that has a hard reset button in the form of a coup for use by the elite every time they feel threatened is destined to keep on repeating the same <deleted>, nothing is allowed to change and to a certain point the Thai people deserve all they get, hard to feel sorry for all the apathy and weakness they show...

I wonder exactly what you know about the Thai Armed Forces? They are 'successful' because there are no enemies to be fought, because they are a successful deterrent.

I suppose you mean a Navy with no submarines and an aircraft carrier with no aircraft?. Or could it be an Army that isn't capable of detecting numerous camps of Rohingya refugees on it's border and can't control it's stock of M16 rifles? If not, then it must be the Airforce that stands alone to defend the Kingdom?. Having so many Generals doesn't place the country in a position of strength, it just means that money is spent on 'non-active' personnel to the detriment of badly needed 'front-line' resources.

Have you ever wondered what might happen if Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia or Myanmar invaded Thailand? Despite what you may think about the US opinion of the Junta, any pre-emptive moves by neighbouring countries would result in a quick response by US Armed Forces, since Uncle Sam still regards Thailand as a very useful friend to have in SE Asia. It could be that Thailand's neighbours might be wary of getting a bloody nose from the US, and are thus 'deterred'..

Finally, why not compare the number of Thai Armed Forces personnel with the UK's, and then tell me which country you would bet on in a direct conflict of arms. It's a 'no-brainer', isn't it?

You're right of course, the Thai military is nothing much to be feared. In fact, why does any country need a military when we have the World's Policeman to whistle up to defend us? Better start with those elections right away before the B-52s start dropping napalm. Lucky we ain't got much oil, eh.

You've got me with the UK. Remind me again why the UK needs all that military. Aren't they supposed to be in bed with those they normally go to war with. Oh yeah, for a head to head with Thailand. So which one is more likely to invade the other?

Failure to detect sarcasm isn't my fault, it's yours.

Apologies for not detecting your 'covert' sarcasm.

With regard to the 'UK' I was merely drawing a comparison between the number of their armed forces personnel and those of Thailand. Depending on which set of statistics one uses Thailand has twice the number of personnel than the UK, yet their populations are about the same. The UK are in Nato and UN (also US lapdogs) and are therefore obliged to lend a hand in policing the delinquent nations. A UK- Thai confrontation would only be hypothetical, but given the proven combat capabilities of UK forces, I think the Thai forces would be no match for them, despite their numerical superiority. (Most of those Thai Generals are usually too busy on the golf course to bear arms). Sarcasm intended.

Steady on, I mean, after all, he has got rather a lot of medals!

I would support any General who has the balls and the integrity to cancel/halt any further designs on an absurd submarine fleet.

Wouldn't that be the Admiral's decision?

Navy rather that army perhaps.

Sort of. Procurement in Thailand is handled by head office central command and it is packed with army generals. Yes there will be navy input, but its the army who control the overall budget. The army generals have all the senior positions in the current administration. The navy can make the request, but I bet if anything is spent it there will be designated army officers as "agents" and "distributors". Remember, Thailand has never signed the WTO Government Procurement (Integrity) Agreement.

Very illuminating, I must confess I have on occasion wondered how the Thai military approach procurement.

I assume that these posts as "agents" and "distributors" are not without their fringe benefits, and are greatly sought after?

It would certainly explain some of the more unusual equipment purchase decisions over the years!

• 4 weeks later...

What have all the Shinawatra bashers who were so stridently critical of his nepotism have to ay about this? They're all as bad as each other.

in fairness not quite the same is it. These guys have risen through the army ranks and will have an idea what the job requires and presumably have the skill set via training to do the job wheras shins sister and a few others had abso no relevent governmental & or political expirence

rijit

"These guys have risen through the army ranks and will have an idea what the job requires and presumably have the skill set via training to do the job"

Not exactly hard, just carry out Prem's orders.

"shins sister and a few others had abso no relevent governmental & or political expirence"

as opposed to the present government, who every man jack of them have "no relevent governmental & or political expirence".