650,000 tons of stockpiled Thai rice declared rotten, to be used as fuel

webfact

PWO: 650,000 tons of stockpiled rice declared rotten, to be used as fuel

BANGKOK, 15 June 2015, (NNT) - The Public Warehouse Organization (PWO) is working with police regarding the inferior rice in its stock, which totals one million tons.

Of this amount, 650,000 tons are unfit for both human and animal consumption, as well as ethanol production. They can however used as fuel in electricity generation.

300,000 tons are an 80:20 mix of good quality rice and Grade C rice, and the remaining 54,000 tons are white rice mislabeled as jasmine and sticky rice.

PWO Chairman Jintana Chaiyawonnagal estimated the police investigation would be completed within this month, after which the organization can sell its stock for various purposes.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-15 footer_n.gif

I thought there was a Thai bloke who'd figgered a way to convert rotten rice to good stuff. ThaiVisa ran a report on it a few months ago. I think he was the cousin, or brother, of the guy that discovered the Ebola cure.

now it looks like these two blokes found a way to cure ebola with medicals based on molecules of rotten rice - regarding their sense of humour: They obviously picked that up from some esteemed members of the rice-scheme committee (those are reported to still be giggling all day through...)

Put into proper perspective, I am not suprised that 4% of the 17 million tons of stored rice spoiled. Even modern grocery markets expect 1%-3% spoilage under ideal storage and monitoring conditions.

The spoliage still should have been lower. The warehouse owners failed their obligation to the government to provide for adequate security of the grains from exposure and infestation. Prayut should sue those owners for the 650,000-690,000 tons of spoiled rice grains. But then he needs them to store new government rice inventories.

Put into proper perspective, I am not suprised that 4% of the 17 million tons of stored rice spoiled. Even modern grocery markets expect 1%-3% spoilage under ideal storage and monitoring conditions.

The spoliage still should have been lower. The warehouse owners failed their obligation to the government to provide for adequate security of the grains from exposure and infestation. Prayut should sue those owners for the 650,000-690,000 tons of spoiled rice grains. But then he needs them to store new government rice inventories.

I have an idea some people are avoiding the main reason, the ex P.M. and the entire cabinet s. the s is for all the re shuffled ones avoiding blame.

Not many red followers posting on this topic is there------certainly none of the newbies who replaced the loss of face oldies.

what the hell is going on yingluk was hauled over the coals for trying to give the rice farmers a good deal and we get a situation like this 650 thousand tons of rice unfit for human consumption who do we haul over the coals for this debacle this is just incredible an absolute bloody shambles .

cheesy.gif

what the hell is going on yingluk was hauled over the coals for trying to give the rice farmers a good deal and we get a situation like this 650 thousand tons of rice unfit for human consumption who do we haul over the coals for this debacle this is just incredible an absolute bloody shambles .

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, explain yourself mister.

I am not a do-gooder but this is very, very disturbing.
650'000 tons, 650'000'000 kilogrammes of rice, purchased by the Thai government.
THB 9'750'000'000 or THB 9.75 billion (USD 325 million) were paid by taxpayers money and subsequently declared rotten by the client and to be used as fuel.
In March 1993 Kevin Carter shot the following Purlitzer prized photograph of a starving little girl trying to reach a feeding center when a hooded vulture landed nearby. He committed suicide three months after winning the Pulitzer Prize. To this day it remains unknown whether she had managed to reach the feeding centre.

We simply cannot accept such behaviour of (in this case even democratically elected) governments around the globe. How sad!

post-65504-0-64491000-1434369547_thumb.j

Avoiding noticing the gorilla in the corner, that there was no need to buy and store 17 million tons of rice. And the junta can feel free to sue the warehouse owners, because there is a massive oversupply of storage facility in this country now that the price is set at market level, and with the drought you seem to think they caused.

Edited by halloween

Better you stop at the first 6 words. ASK HER she was the chairperson who didn't chair the rice committee. She was the Defense minister she had too many jobs but could NOT manage one. but where was she ?? instead of overseeing the job, ( and that is what she got paid to do) she was travelling the world, sorry but for gods sake open your eyes.

math... whistling.gif

I wonder why the rice committee chairman didn't foresee this like I did and rectify it while she had the change. Maybe their was no mobile phone connection on the beach in the Maldives. This is tax payers money literally being burned as a fuel. Another death throw the apologists will ignore while purporting majority support.

For 3 years I have been saying that the rice will rot and the scheme will fail. For 3 years I have been offered wonderful excuses from the far reaches of peoples imagination telling me how the rice won't rot and the scheme was a success. They gave me colourful tales of 20 year rice shelf life linking obscure articles from Asian Correspondent. Experts on rice they were for 3 years. Convinced the scheme would be a great success and the PTP could do no wrong.

I have this to say. "I told you so!!"

306 for democracy supporters. 0 for red apologists...

They will get it right one day!!!

Edited by djjamie

This is just the first of many rotten rice disposals

This is very obviously all the fault of the military Govt for on the 24 April 2014 the then Minister of Commerce :

Minister Yanyong visited the NACC on Wednesday to submit a letter asserting that inspections of the rice stock in warehouses, carried out in March by Ministry of Commerce officials and members of the rice stock inspection committee, found that the entire 18.7 million tons of rice was intact and another 1.1 million tons was being fumigated.

Although subsequent inspections of all warehouses involved in storing rice from the scheme found there was around a million and a half less tons in storage than the minister claimed.

Add to that one of the commerce ministry 'officials' involved in the inspections the minister quoted was deputy commerce minister Nattawut Saikua of "Burn BKK to the ground, I will take responsibility fame" and Nattawut Transport a company involved in moving rice around to unspecified destinations.

There just could be some doubt.

Yes it is a travesty that this (any) amount of food has to be virtually dumped in this hungry world. It only needed proper inspection and control of stocks to avoid this.

And there are still those who claim that a charge of negligence against the former chair of the rice policy committee is unjustified and a witch hunt.

Some self-acclaimed 'smart' brain must have thought that diamonds could be withheld from the market to jack prices up could be done for rice as well.

Of course. He's just been released on bail.

Wrong bailee, the genius was bailed to go to the Olympics, yet to return.

Good news but please burn it id a state electricity generation facility instead of putting it in our petrol. PS I was haranguing on this site over a year ago for exactly this step and I agree with the other poster who said they may find more that cannot be sold and needs the same treatment.