People are happier now: Prayut

webfact

Looking at all the posts here, at least people can't say anymore that freedom of speech is restricted by not allowing people to say what they think about Prayuth and the Junta.

Try saying these same things on a soap box in Siam Paragon and see how long your theory lasts!!

TVF has been VERY generous by allowing such freedom of expression, and well you know it!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well whatever, i do like the guy.

I live in thai long enaugh to have the rights to speak my mind about it.(20y.)while some are here in thai a few years(2/4).

Besides this all, politics concerns thai nationals, and we foreigners, we'r just some tourists with a permit to stay in side this kingdom.(some of us). I feel comforteble with Prayut, i see a lot of upgrades in this great kingdom, infra structure grow faster. And there are no fights from red and yellow. So we all can go do our job even if we like the job or not.

A lot of people here, i belive... Have the right to be against this man, but only if you are living and working in thailand long enaugh to understand where you talking about. My appology to those not like my comment. For those who understand, should not talk bad about this man, but show some respect. The crackdown on visa runs was good. Filter the scum, clean up those who are here on a wrong permit. ( sorry for those who where involved). Now not to stick to this topic, try to keep up the good news in stead the bad, if you feel really intrested in politics, you should find the good changes happening around you. Maybe not directly seen changes right on your frontdoor, but sure in "our" infrastructure. I say "our" , this involve us foreigners with the right permits, because we all live here, give this man some time, and let us open this chat next year. I belive and dare to bet on it, half on the negative comments here will turned, possitive. And right on the moment you'll start to like this guy, he will stop and let others take it over. Peace and order!!

It is not the first time, someone says this, but...if everybody is so dingdonhappyhappy and the approval ratings for the honorable PM and all his measures and means are so overwhelming and all programs are so spot on and working...why not finally call an election?

Oh yeah,right: because it is all made up and nothing is real!

No point in calling an election, as the sage of Khon Khaen has pointed out it is a "no brainer" (If ever a phrase could turn round and bite you on the arse it's that one!).

As 93% of the population are happy with the current regime (we know that because Djaime has told us), then he would be bound to win, so it would be a pointless waste of time and money to bother.

Logic my friend, if I can misappropriate another favorite phrase!

"As far as I know, people are happier than they were before. What people are happy about is that the nation is at peace and in order. For me, I am happy because I make other people happy. As for the power I have, no, I'm not happy," he said.

I am so happy to have a PM who can fit the word "happy" or similar five times into a four sentence paragraph ! cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This is a no brainer article.

Absolutely right. 'Foreigners who can be slung out of the country and lose everything just like that and Thais in fear of arrest and persecution tell bad-tempered autocrat who took over the country by force how happy they are.'

Thank you for pointing out the fact this article is a no brainer my dear friend and have a lovely day.

Foreigners could always be slung out of the country and lose everything just like that! So what's new? To save you some thinking effort remember, for instance, if you are here on a marriage extension and your wife dies you have 7 days to leave the Kingdom, unless you're old enough and have the wherewithal to scramble for a retirement extension.

Edited by Anon999

Absolutely right. 'Foreigners who can be slung out of the country and lose everything just like that and Thais in fear of arrest and persecution tell bad-tempered autocrat who took over the country by force how happy they are.'

Thank you for pointing out the fact this article is a no brainer my dear friend and have a lovely day.

Foreigners could always be slung out of the country and lose everything just like that! So what's new? To save you some thinking effort remember, for instance, if you are here on a marriage extension and your wife dies you have 7 days to leave the Kingdom, unless you're old enough and have the wherewithal to scramble for a retirement extension.

Absolutely nothing is new about it. My point was that it would be a Really Bad Idea to be upsetting people with that much hold over you unless you want to risk extremely unpleasant consequences...

How on earth anyone could have been happier with the dark violent days of terrorists committing near daily attacks on protestors in the name of a government that refused to arrest a single person for them.

Most people don't like innocent men, women and little kids being killed by terrorists while the deaths were cheered by the 7% radical fundamentalists. Pre coup - not one arrest. Not one and democracy no where in site.

Now we have peace in Bangkok, a pathway to the first democracy Thailand will see (yes, yes, elections) and criminals being arrested for doing bad things against a majority that were previously ignored (YES< YES elections. I get it) and allowed to be killed with complete impunity by government that had no intention of arresting their own terrorist supporters who were not surprisingly run by an accused terrorist criminal leader.

So in summary we have peace, pathway to democracy and reform (3 fingers if you will) or we have an unelected accused mass murderer, accused terrorist criminal fugitive running a party that allowed terrorists to kill anyone that dared practise their democratic right to protest. (YES yes, protesting is a democratic right) while ignoring the majorities wishes on an amnesty with one hand while turning tax payers money into bio fuel with the other.

No brainer really and if I say Prayut I would be part of that 93% majority that tell him that I am happier too. My wife is happier and my kids are no longer getting intimidated and our family threatened at any university by reds that decided we were not allowed to see Ahbisit speak because he was the opposition. An opposition of which is a fundamental part of democracy. (yes, yes elections) blah,blah, blah.

I have to give you credit. You work very hard to convince yourself that this junta will be better than all the others.

So you are sure this junta cannot be better than all the others. Just a believe - not more.

But one thing for sure: this junta is better than the governments before. And this is observable.

In one year mr.general boss man has brought hapiness to the Thai people. Even us foreigners.

May be the west can hire him to do the same.

Thaivisa is going to be out of business soon because we are so happy.

As for me I am happy I left, couldn't sytand all that hapiness.

It's funny how things turn out. Like, when I came here he was a General and looked good in his uniform. Now he's PM and wears the old time tops he doesn't look so impressive. Maybe a good Amani knock-off suit from the tailor I go to would improve his appearance.....maybe! whistling.gif

What's the most important, what suit he wears, or how he runs the country?

I don't hear all this 'happiness' from Thais I know and if it's true hold an ELECTION and where does he get this 'foreigners are happier too'?

from a few emails from DJJamie, Costas, Rubl, Gingag and MikeMac? that would definitely be entitled to be called a NO BRAINER clap2.gif

Edited by LannaGuy

Fair enough, they are all corrupt as hell. So we should just let them do whatever they want when they are voted into power. Can you mention another Thai family (besides the Shinawatras) that made billions of dollars when in power?

Your comment concerning protestors is very strange. You mean protestors didn't have war weapons? Or do you mean that it is not fair that the army had more weapons than the protestors? The protestors should have had more weapons so they would have made a better chance beating the security forces if that's what you mean. That's correct.

"Can you mention another Thai family (besides the Shinawatras) that made billions of dollars when in power?"

Since when did the Shinawatras make billions of dollars when in power? How easily the yellow mantras roll off your forked tongue.

Yingluck's net wealth rose by less than 1 million US$ while in power http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yinglucks-wealth-rose-by-Bt33m-while-in-office-ant-30237298.html

while other ministers in her cabinet got poorer!

Some interesting figures from the time period of Thaksin's 1st administration through to his asset seizure;

"during that period, Shin shares gained 121%, compared with a 128% gain in the benchmark SET index, while Siam Cement, one of Thailand's premier blue chip companies, gained 717%" Wall Street Journal

Some posters have been asking where Djjaimie got his happiness percentages from.

I have attached a summary of polls from June and November last year to give some kind of indications about the percentages and the feelings of some Thai people.

This is just food for thought. Do with it what you want. I am not looking forward arguing what Thai polls, or polls in general, mean. This will be a never ending discussion.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/124068/on-happiness-and-thai-opinion-polls-after-the-military-coup/

http://asiancorrespondent.com/128390/28-weeks-later-are-thai-people-really-happy-after-the-coup/

Are you and him for real? Like, actually real people? Like, educated people from the West, that actually understand what is going on here? Are you on the outside, looking in? On the inside looking out? Or do you believe everything the controlled Thai Media print?

Naive does'nt even come close to describing the pair of you...

Getting personal is a weakness and a stupid thing to do. You could have just said that Thai polls are a joke and that you don't want to spend time looking at them. Looking at the way I wrote my post I would have understood that.

"I have attached a summary of polls from June and November last year ..."

Ah, no.

The first article you linked is not a summary; it is a dissection. It basically says most Thai polls are "crap", and it gives good reasons why this is the case,

The second article reports on poll results, but in the context of being critical of the current situation, and the sort of slimmed-down definition of happiness that runs through these polls.

The PM and his ilk always latch onto "Peace and Order" as a primary determinant of happiness. This is a logical fallacy. We can probably agree that widespread violence and disruption cause unhappiness. However, that does not mean that the absence of those conditions will result in happiness. (Consider the happiness of the people...in a graveyard).

Anyway, the articles you linked to are in no way supportive of Djamie's overly positive view of the Junta.

Fair enough, they are all corrupt as hell. So we should just let them do whatever they want when they are voted into power. Can you mention another Thai family (besides the Shinawatras) that made billions of dollars when in power?

Your comment concerning protestors is very strange. You mean protestors didn't have war weapons? Or do you mean that it is not fair that the army had more weapons than the protestors? The protestors should have had more weapons so they would have made a better chance beating the security forces if that's what you mean. That's correct.

"Can you mention another Thai family (besides the Shinawatras) that made billions of dollars when in power?"

Since when did the Shinawatras make billions of dollars when in power? How easily the yellow mantras roll off your forked tongue.

Yingluck's net wealth rose by less than 1 million US$ while in power http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yinglucks-wealth-rose-by-Bt33m-while-in-office-ant-30237298.html

Some interesting figures from the time period of Thaksin's 1st administration through to his asset seizure;

"during that period, Shin shares gained 121%, compared with a 128% gain in the benchmark SET index, while Siam Cement, one of Thailand's premier blue chip companies, gained 717%" Wall Street Journal

Atleast 1.5 billion USD was seized from Thaksin and Forbes stated that Thaksin still has 1.7 billion. That is what most of us know..... And there is the fact that he changed rules and regulation when he was in power to favor his own business. Both with telecom regulation and tax. Just to name a few things the crook did. I can go on a long time how he plundered the state coffers with fake rice contracts loans to his own companies etc etc. I leave it here. Or if you really want I will give more examples. Edited by Nickymaster

Atleast 1.5 billion USD was seized from Thaksin and Forbes stated that Thaksin still has 1.7 billion. That is what most of us know..... And there is the fact that he changed rules and regulation when he was in power to favor his own business. Both with telecom regulation and tax. Just to name a few things the crook did. I can go on a long time how he plundered the state coffers with fake rice contracts loans to his own companies etc etc. I leave it here. Or if you really want I will give more examples.

Thaksin was the richest man in Thailand when he became PM, now he is the 10th. Danin Chearavanont is almost 10 times richer than Thaksin. It was inevitable that a man with so many diverse investments was going to have some of them affected by his own policy decisions. Let's consider one you mention & the catalyst for the 1st yellow revolt, that being the telecom regulation and Shin Corp sale;

"The sale was in response to long-standing criticisms that the Shinawatra family's holdings created a conflict of interest for Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.... little criticism was raised when the Norwegian firm Telenor acquired Total Access Communications, the country's second largest operator. Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had criticized Thaksin earlier for not sufficiently opening up the Thai telecom sector to foreigners. Supporters further counter that the complete sale of Shin Corporation by the Shinawatra-Damapong families had been a long-standing demand of some public groups, as it would allow Thaksin to undertake his duties as Prime Minister without accusation of conflicts of interest." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_Shin_Corporation_to_Temasek_Holdings

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You can go on spewing the yellow mantras, blindly believing that corruption is the reason for Thaksin's downfall. It is a wonder how someone purporting to be an expert on the matter hasn't taken the time to do some wider reading.

Atleast 1.5 billion USD was seized from Thaksin and Forbes stated that Thaksin still has 1.7 billion. That is what most of us know..... And there is the fact that he changed rules and regulation when he was in power to favor his own business. Both with telecom regulation and tax. Just to name a few things the crook did. I can go on a long time how he plundered the state coffers with fake rice contracts loans to his own companies etc etc. I leave it here. Or if you really want I will give more examples.

Thaksin was the richest man in Thailand when he became PM, now he is the 10th. Danin Chearavanont is almost 10 times richer than Thaksin. It was inevitable that a man with so many diverse investments was going to have some of them affected by his own policy decisions. Let's consider one you mention & the catalyst for the 1st yellow revolt, that being the telecom regulation and Shin Corp sale;

"The sale was in response to long-standing criticisms that the Shinawatra family's holdings created a conflict of interest for Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.... little criticism was raised when the Norwegian firm Telenor acquired Total Access Communications, the country's second largest operator. Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had criticized Thaksin earlier for not sufficiently opening up the Thai telecom sector to foreigners. Supporters further counter that the complete sale of Shin Corporation by the Shinawatra-Damapong families had been a long-standing demand of some public groups, as it would allow Thaksin to undertake his duties as Prime Minister without accusation of conflicts of interest." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_Shin_Corporation_to_Temasek_Holdings

You can go on spewing the yellow mantras, blindly believing that corruption is the reason for Thaksin's downfall. It is a wonder how someone purporting to be an expert on the matter hasn't taken the time to do some wider reading.

Yes conflict of interest, THAT'S what it was AND still is. Most of the policies Thaksin implemented when PM directly benefitted his own business. That was the main reason he went into politics. I can proof this. Remember all those honest mistakes when, for example, providing government loans to Burma so they could buy telecom equipment from his own company? Remember that his driver and gardener held shares in his businesses in order to hide what he was doing? Remember all those offshore structures to hide his money? Remember that he made sure his wife could buy land cheap in so called 'window dressing' auctions? There are so many examples.

And it continued under Yingluck. The same thing, policies were implemented to keep stealing tax payers' money. For example, fake G2G rice contracts with so called chinese government supported trading companies (that were not approved to represent the Chinese government) in order to sell rice cheap to his local trading buddies here in Thailand. Rice under those fake contracts of course never even left the country. I am busy now, more to come. Don't worry.

By the way, I am not an expert. That is the only thing you got right.

Edited by Nickymaster

It's funny how things turn out. Like, when I came here he was a General and looked good in his uniform. Now he's PM and wears the old time tops he doesn't look so impressive. Maybe a good Amani knock-off suit from the tailor I go to would improve his appearance.....maybe! whistling.gif

Something about those sparkling tops just seem to hypnotize me.

Yes conflict of interest, THAT'S what it was AND still is. Most of the policies Thaksin implemented when PM directly benefitted his own business. That was the main reason he went into politics. I can proof this. Remember all those honest mistakes when, for example, providing government loans to Burma so they could buy telecom equipment from his own company? Remember that his driver and gardener held shares in his businesses in order to hide what he was doing? Remember all those offshore structures to hide his money? Remember that he made sure his wife could buy land cheap in so called 'window dressing' auctions? There are so many examples.

And it continued under Yingluck. The same thing, policies were implemented to keep stealing tax payers' money. For example, fake G2G rice contracts with so called chinese government supported trading companies (that were not approved to represent the Chinese government) in order to sell rice cheap to his local trading buddies here in Thailand. Rice under those fake contracts of course never even left the country. I am busy now, more to come. Don't worry.

By the way, I am not an expert. That is the only thing you got right.

You continue to read from the yellow play book. Each and every example you give has a valid counter argument.

His loan to Burma benefited 17 different companies, his being only 1 of them. Offshore structures and using nominees is a standard practice among the wealthy; simply employ a tax accountant and a lawyer and they will advise you of tax avoidance (not tax evasion). On this point maybe General P could be consulted as his family sold 600 million Baht worth of land to a company registered 6 days earlier in the British Virgin Islands. As for the Ratchada land deal, the NACC themselves said there was nothing wrong with the deal before changing their tune during the persecution.

As for Yingluck's administration, there have yet to be any accusations of a Shinawatra having made personal financial gains from any government related deals.

So looks like your original point that the Shinawatras "made billions of dollars when in power" is typical yellow BS spewed out on yellow stages & media to indoctrinate the fascist right angered by Thaksin's more equitable and equal division of the nation's budget.

I honestly don't know why I bother...but I read through as far as I could and as usual it was nothing but a bunch of f*cking complaining whingers who knock everything always no matter what.

PLEASE - If you hate it here so much, why not just go someplace that you would enjoy... like Australia, the UK, America... MUCH better for you, all totally democratic, no pollution, no corruption, no rip-off pricing, and nothing whatsoever to complain about.

You will love it...

....don't let the door slap you on the arse on the way out!