Sending money from Thailand to a UK bank

Say I wanted to send some money from Thailand to a UK bank account, how long does it take to get to the UK bank account?

What charges are there? Thinking of sending around 100,000 THB but convert to British pounds this end first.

Can I change into British pounds at the bank and send it as British pounds?

Any other info or help on this please let me know

Thanks

A Thai bank is unlikely to send your money out of the country. Even form your account in Thailand to YOUR account abroad.

So Thai banks can't send money to UK banks?

Edited by Jo12Jo

A Thai bank is unlikely to send your money out of the country. Even form your account in Thailand to YOUR account abroad.

So Thai banks can't send money to to UK banks?

They can and they do, but it's really time consuming and when I tried to do it I had to jump through numerous hoops.

They can and they do, but it's really time consuming and when I tried to do it I had to jump through numerous hoops.

What kind of hoops?

I thought it would be kind of easy, fill out the forms and that would be it.

Of course you can send money from a Thai bank to a UK bank. TT ( telegraphic transfer )

Just go in to the bank and tell them what you want , they will provide the form, show your passport, and bob's your uncle !

usually take 3-5 days to show in account.

Edited by steven100

Of course you can send money from a Thai bank to a UK bank. TT ( telegraphic transfer )

Just go in to the bank and tell them what you want , they will provide the form, show your passport, and bob's your uncle !

So not that many hoops then?

A similar question..

Is a Thai bank card ok to use in an ATM in places like the UK,US,EU,Australia etc ?

Mine has the Plus logo on the back so should be ok to use or should you notify the bank first of your intention to use it overseas?

Anyone who is saying they can just walk into a bank and send any amount of money to the UK has clearly NEVER tried to do it.

Bank of Thailand rules are very clear. You can send money for very specific reasons, usually supporting a Thai person overseas and then the bank need to see the passport of the recipient (who must be a Thai person).

For small amounts, under about 10k there will be no problem, try sending 50,100 or a million baht and you will hit a brick wall.

However, you can set up a Bangkok Bank ATM card to allow withdrawals of up to 500,000 baht a day and take it from a ATM in just about any country.

Edited by technologybytes

A similar question..

Is a Thai bank card ok to use in an ATM in places like the UK,US,EU,Australia etc ?

Mine has the Plus logo on the back so should be ok to use or should you notify the bank first of your intention to use it overseas?

It should be fine, however just to make sure why not ask your bank ..... coffee1.gif

Anyone who is saying they can just walk into a bank and send any amount of money to the UK has clearly NEVER tried to do it.

Bank of Thailand rules are very clear. You can send money for very specific reasons, usually supporting a Thai person overseas and then the bank need to see the passport of the recipient (who must be a Thai person).

For small amounts, under about 10k there will be no problem, try sending 50,100 or a million baht and you will hit a brick wall.

However, you can set up a Bangkok Bank ATM card to allow withdrawals of up to 500,000 baht a day and take it from a ATM in just about any country.

So you're saying in a Thai bank you can't send over say 100,000 THB to a UK bank account?

Never heard of that before, but I've never done it before so I don't know

copy of

Not my experience at all... Process is quick and painless... fill a form, provide copy of passport and leave it with the teller.

Only caveat with my local branch is that the form filling needs to be done in the morning as transfers are processed in the afternoon.

Money will be in the UK within a couple of (working) days.

Of course, I'm sending relatively small amounts... It may be more involved if sending millions of Baht (I wish), but for the amount the OP mentioned I'd not expect any problem.

Edited by roblgs

A similar question..

It should be fine, however just to make sure why not ask your bank ..... coffee1.gif

"It should be fine, however just to make sure why not ask your bank ....."

I probably will but it's not open as yet smile.png

Edited by Coaster11

So you're saying in a Thai bank you can't send over say 100,000 THB to a UK bank account?

I sent precisely that amount back to my a/c in UK just over a month ago, and yes it was that simple. Walk in, fill a form, let bank take copy of passport... money arrived within 3 working days... I have had it arrive the following day on rare occasions... I've been doing this for similar amounts on a sporadic basis for 15 years or more... never a problem.

So not that many hoops then?

On the times I tried it, yes.

On the first occasion, my passport, no problem and expected.

The recipients passport, how on earth am I going to get that, and why?

Full details of the recipient and their address.

The reason I was sending money together with documentary evidence, I was sending a hundred quid as a charity donation.

I accept that it might not seem like too many hoops, but I suspect they didn't understand their own procedures so just kept making it difficult, this included bringing out a new member of staff every so often who kept asking the same questions, the lack of the recipients passport was the stumbling block, the staff just didn't understand how unpractical it was.

They eventually sent the form, after an hour, only for somebody from the Kasikorn call centre to call me the next day to advise that the recipient was on a "watch list" and they couldn't send the money.

On the second occasion I was sending 300,000 Baht to a bank in KL to pay for medical treatment I'd had when I was taken ill there. I had everything, hospital bills and even a note from the doctor, it took three hours to complete the transaction.

So yes, in answer to your comment, numerous hoops, but I expect it was because the staff wouldn't admit they didn't know their own procedures.

Why do folks confuse the question by giving incomplete answers...

'Anyone who is saying they can just walk into a bank and send any amount of money to the UK has clearly NEVER tried to do it.'

If I were you I would change banks ..... I send money to US, Australia and UK with no problem.

As I said .... TT ( telegraphic transfer ) complete the form , show passport , smile , should show in account in 3 -5 days.

Edited by steven100

I sold a condo here and wanted to give some money from the proceeds to an "Ex" in Europe. I had her open an A/C in a bank in Ireland and without any problem transferred 800,000 Bt. to her. Before I transferred it I went into a bank here (Bangkok Bank, which I keep only the bare amount in)) and showed them the contract of sale for the condo before I received the actual check, a sort of "trial run", thinking they would have to go through the papers to check what money I had brought in to purchase the condo in the first place (have been told many times and read it that if you can show you brought money in then you can transfer the equivalent out). The bank clerk wasn't interested in my papers,.... "We can do, no problem", she said..."not necessary to bring in papers". I was flabbergasted, I had been often wondering about this and what problems might arise if I had to move money quickly back home. I have always been led to believe that it is not easy to transfer money out of Thailand. It turned out that it was a piece of cake to do it.

I met my Real Estate agent afterwards and asked him "What's all this B/S about transferring money out of Thailand and how difficult it is"...and told him of my experience. "Ah yes" he said..."but you had the contract of sale to show them". "No", I told him..."the bank wasn't the slightest bit interested in the papers".

So, there you are....that's my experience anyway.......... A good bit of worrying about nothing.

PS. They said it would take about 5 working days. The money arrived with no problems.

Edited by dotpoom

I sent precisely that amount back to my a/c in UK just over a month ago, and yes it was that simple. Walk in, fill a form, let bank take copy of passport... money arrived within 3 working days... I have had it arrive the following day on rare occasions... I've been doing this for similar amounts on a sporadic basis for 15 years or more... never a problem.

Same same, I have a Kasikorn account at the local town, first time was a pain, but if you take a handful of the forms and pre fill them, it saves you time for each visit/transfer.

My bank keeps a record of my transfers and they just hand me an old copy to copy, normally I'm sending the money to my own UK account for Child support.

Also I beleieve if your money originated out if Thailand, you can ask for a Tor Tor and that will be exempt from their money laundering laws, how true this is I don't know, it's what another mate who lives there did, and he never gets hassles.

First time was a pain, but I've been doing the same for the past 3 years without any serious issues, normally in the receiving account 48 hours, all in Kasikorn have been a good bank to deal with.

Just a shame you can't do overseas transfer with their digital banking facility.

So to the OP you should have no dramas, you might need proof of address too, my wife was with me setting mine up, they copied her ID and Thai Baan book too.

I've been doing this so regular that the Bank Manager also said if I signed the forms and left them with the wife, they'd process them if I was still overseas working.

Have tried it, done it and it's been a breeze EVERY time. Go to my local Kasikorn bank, (the one I opened my account at), with passport, bank book, debit card and details of where the money needs sending. Fill out the transfer form, sign a copy of my passport that they make, sign transfer slip, job done. Money lands within 3 business days, just over 1,000 Baht for the 50,000 Baht transfers that I do.

To the OP.

See post #17.

Ignore the others that say it is impossible, difficult or challenging because they tried once several years ago.

However, you really need to confirm this with your Thai bank, ie. the bank that you will be using for the transfer. It isn't unusual for someone challenged in the Thai language to encounter a bank worker challenged both in English as well as the banks own overseas transfer policy and procedures.

Good luck and be sure and post back and tell us how it went for you.

Ok, just got back from the K-Bank in town.

Told them what I wanted to do, the manageress knows me there as I've banked there for 12 years, and told the staff to sort it asap and not let me sit waiting.

I gave them my Kbank book, told them I wanted to send 100,000 from my Kbank account to my UK bank

They gave me a very simple- ish form to fill in, my details, bank details and so on

Then the woman who was doing it all for me put that into her computer, did the change over to GBP and with a 500 THB charge it was all done

In and out in 30 mins

I have the receipt and they said 3 days it should be in my UK account

I'll await it arriving...

Thanks to the members who gave advice.

As virtually all banks process transfers around the world with ACH (Automated Clearing House), banking transfers in either direction fairly easy these days.

There is just a bit more paperwork here but nothing to really complain about. If transferring from the US to Thailand, Bangkok Bank is exceptionally easy as they have a corresponding branch in New York - just use that routing number and my local Thailand Bangkok Bank account number - those transfers are same day in amny instances. Bangkok Bank to US is 2 to 3 days at the most.