Sending money from Thailand to a UK bank

OP just go 'n' try ..find out and let us know

I just did and posted this one post above.

I am the OP :)

Ok, just got back from the K-Bank in town.

Told them what I wanted to do, the manageress knows me there as I've banked there for 12 years, and told the staff to sort it asap and not let me sit waiting.

I gave them my Kbank book, told them I wanted to send 100,000 from my Kbank account to my UK bank

They gave me a very simple- ish form to fill in, my details, bank details and so on

Then the woman who was doing it all for me put that into her computer, did the change over to GBP and with a 500 THB charge it was all done

In and out in 30 mins

I have the receipt and they said 3 days it should be in my UK account

I'll await it arriving...

Thanks to the members who gave advice.

Sent 1 million Baht to a Hospital in Australia, took around 5 minutes to fill in the forms, money arrived in 3 days. I bank at Bangkok Bank but for international transfers you have to go to their closest International Branch, which I think is the same for most Thai Banks. Due to America World Police, we have to fill in Anti-money laundering forms to report all large transfers to them even though we are not American, stating purpose. That is the only hassle.

I went to BBL to enquire why their web site now says that Time Deposit Accounts are only available to Thais. They asked if I was American, to which I replied "No", so they said no problem if you are not American. They apparently are fed up with the time consuming paperwork and reporting the yanks are insisting on.

Edited by Estrada

You are getting some very negative replies to your OP. Bangkok Bank make no issue on the subject and you can do it either by visiting a branch or through iBanking on-line. Just Google:

Transferring out of Thailand - Bangkok Bank

It's all well and good if the staff understand their own procedures, but as I posted earlier, my experience is that if they don't know their banks procedures some staff will create hoops rather than admit they don't know what to do.

Told them what I wanted to do, the manageress knows me there as I've banked there for 12 years, and told the staff to sort it asap and not let me sit waiting.

I gave them my Kbank book, told them I wanted to send 100,000 from my Kbank account to my UK bank

They gave me a very simple- ish form to fill in, my details, bank details and so on

Then the woman who was doing it all for me put that into her computer, did the change over to GBP and with a 500 THB charge it was all done

In and out in 30 mins

Hi Jo12Jo,

Congrats on completing this... One point, if THB500 was the only charge they levied the chances are that the cost of the transfer will be met at the UK end of things.

You can opt on the transfer form to pay the transfer costs at either sending or receiving end, and I invariably pay all costs at this end as this seems to work out cheaper overall.

From what you've written above though, it seems you have paid the conversion fee/commission, not the cost of transfer. If that's the case, expect that to be deducted from the funds arriving in the UK, at the rate that the receiving bank there charges.

In and out in 30 mins

I did the same last week at my local Kasikorn bank.

Took about 25 mins (next time quicker because they now have a payment template for my UK bank).

I sent 950,000 Baht because I wanted to keep under 1m Baht ( a threshold that I perceived may have greater restrictions on it).

Sent it to HSBC arrived the same day.

Costs were 100 Baht payment fee, 400 SWIFT telex charge and 1,200 Baht "Pay in full". Total 1,700 Baht - which is high compared to comparable UK costs.

A similar question..

Is a Thai bank card ok to use in an ATM in places like the UK,US,EU,Australia etc ?

Mine has the Plus logo on the back so should be ok to use or should you notify the bank first of your intention to use it overseas?

Yes, but can prove problematic. I have twice had problems, first with BAY, then with KKB. I simply couldn't get the money out of the ATMs. BAY, my wife phoned, and lo and behold, we needed to be here to resolve it ... KKB was at the end of a holiday, so checked on return - they had no idea why there was a problem.

A Thai bank is unlikely to send your money out of the country. Even form your account in Thailand to YOUR account abroad.

Please stand aside while others get on with doing what you can't do.

Of course you can send money from a Thai bank to a UK bank. TT ( telegraphic transfer )

Just go in to the bank and tell them what you want , they will provide the form, show your passport, and bob's your uncle !

So not that many hoops then?

On the times I tried it, yes.

On the first occasion, my passport, no problem and expected.

The recipients passport, how on earth am I going to get that, and why?

Full details of the recipient and their address.

The reason I was sending money together with documentary evidence, I was sending a hundred quid as a charity donation.

I accept that it might not seem like too many hoops, but I suspect they didn't understand their own procedures so just kept making it difficult, this included bringing out a new member of staff every so often who kept asking the same questions, the lack of the recipients passport was the stumbling block, the staff just didn't understand how unpractical it was.

They eventually sent the form, after an hour, only for somebody from the Kasikorn call centre to call me the next day to advise that the recipient was on a "watch list" and they couldn't send the money.

On the second occasion I was sending 300,000 Baht to a bank in KL to pay for medical treatment I'd had when I was taken ill there. I had everything, hospital bills and even a note from the doctor, it took three hours to complete the transaction.

So yes, in answer to your comment, numerous hoops, but I expect it was because the staff wouldn't admit they didn't know their own procedures.

I sent 250,000 baht converted into GBP from Bangkok Bank a month ago.

Just filled out the form, put reason 'personal funds' and it was in a UK bank two days later.

The whole process took about 10 minutes.