Register telephone

Aforek

Hi,

please, where did you register your telephone (name of shop ) in Hua hin, for free ? did you show your passeport or your driving licence (number of passeport is written on driving licence ) ?

Thanks smile.png

Just go the any office for the phone company you use. Tell them what you want to do and hand them your passport and phone.

I did it last week here in Ubon. Took less than 5 minutes.

I was more or less forced to do it. I started getting a long message from True about it every time I made a call.

I used my Thai DL when I bought a new sim last month.

I would prefer, because somebody told me about " identity theft " if we show our passeport

ls there any risk ?

There are probably a hundred copies of my passport scattered throughout Thailand at this point so there is nothing that can be done about that as that is the normal course of business for a foreigner. As far as a DL, certainly in my home country I have used it countless times as ID. I can't see why it would be any different here. Identity theft" is a misnomer for "financial identity theft" which usually needs a social security number or credit card info to propagate. This type of crime is difficult to protect yourself from anyway. The likelihood of a cell phone vendor stealing your identity is far less of a risk than using your credit card at a major retailer as recent hacks of millions of shoppers financial information has shown. Besides, while it is the law to carry your passport at all times here I absolutely hate to do that for fear of loosing a document that which be a literal nightmare to replace in its entirety. My Thai DL however is always on me and I was glad it was when I went to buy that sim and the shop owner asked for my passport. BOOM Thai DL, back in business!