Corruption versus Democracy: New paradox looms

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Corruption versus Democracy: New paradox looms

Tulsathit Taptim
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Signs that a coup-maker might stay in charge of Thailand longer than he initially said have befuddled both Democracy and Corruption. The latter has signalled rare uncertainty, although he refuses to give up efforts to bring Democracy to the dark side. The verbal war over whether Democracy should join Corruption for good so they both can live happily ever after has been clouded by the latest Thai developments.

The arch-rivals, who have waged an internecine battle over Thailand, are also growing somewhat sympathetic toward each other.

Corruption: Now, they are talking about suspending you even longer. If you had signed a pact with me, this would never have happened.

Democracy: Stop asking me to cross over to your side, because that's the least of our concerns at the moment. My biggest worry now is the Thai idea of calling a vote on whether an election should be delayed or, in effect, whether Prayut should stay on. That poll would confuse the hell out of everyone, and I pray to God it will never happen.

Corruption: Why?

Democracy: Voting is democracy's top principle, isn't it? You can't call a vote to effect something deemed undemocratic.

Corruption: I get it. You're asking what's next if a majority says no to "democracy". What if a majority of Thais balk at an election? Is that what you are talking about?

Democracy: Yes.

Corruption: I know what you mean. But why worry about it now? The last election yielded something similarly paradoxical.

Democracy: If you are talking about the low turnout of the February, 2014 election, of course, it might indicate that the majority of Thais didn't want that poll. But we had some ballot stations blocked, and many eligible voters didn't show up probably because they were disillusioned or merely lazy.

Corruption: If a referendum on extended military rule took place today, all the polling stations would be open and most voters would be itching to mark the ballots. Is that what you mean?

Democracy: Yes. If they vote "Election now", we will be spared the great paradox. If not, God help us.

Corruption: One excuse would be that the referendum is taking place under military rule, so a pro-military result should be taken with a grain of salt.

Democracy: A lot of people would certainly say that. But I'm still feeling uncomfortable. If the result is fixed, I'm off the hook. But I'm talking about a real, genuine "No election" outcome here, one that, no matter how hard people try to spin it, will rock my foundations. If that happens, I won't know what to do. If a majority genuinely wants to postpone an election, what do we call that?

Corruption: Easy. We say the Thai people don't want an immediate election.

Democracy: But elections are the core of democracy, aren't they?

Corruption: Look who's asking me that question. Have you never listened to anything I've said? You are an ideal. You are not real. People bend the rules or change them outright for you all the time. Some will say a "No" to elections is undemocratic. Some will say voters are being forced. Some will say voters are being brainwashed. My point is, what's the point? None of that can change the fact that you are what people make you out to be. You can only be realer if you join me. As long as you don't, you will keep worrying about all this nonsense.

Democracy: So, you are the best there is, right?

Corruption: Of course. For starters, while people bend the rules for you, I bend the rules for them. Whereas people mould you, I mould them. I need no excuses. I need no denials. That's the best part of being evil. You have no idea how much you can do with low expectations.

Democracy: So you want to drag expectations about me to your level, or near it?

Corruption: To put it bluntly, yes. But that will do you a great favour. The systems operating under you come with high expectations, but they are unrealistic. A little more practicality won't hurt. In fact, the referendum thing proves my point. Democracy and Corruption are better off together and worse off apart. If Prayut is bad, in other words corrupt, look how he's utilising the concept of democracy. If Thaksin Shinawatra is good, in other words victimised, look how he has ended up with Corruption and Democracy not quite on the same song sheet.

Democracy: You are such a puppet master.

Corruption: It's funny that you say that. See, people left and right are pulling your strings - politicians, lobbyists, activists and all. And I'm pulling theirs. Look where you are in the pyramid, buddy.

Democracy: It doesn't seem like you need me after all.

Corruption: On the contrary, my friend - and no offence - every puppet master needs something to play with.

...And Earth, Heaven and Hell continue to hold their breath.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-17

So the Thai people get to choose between no democracy with strong actions against corruption, and democracy with widespread corruption?

The latter was very evident before this coup.

Edited by trogers

So the Thai people get to choose between no democracy with strong actions against corruption, and democracy with widespread corruption?

You make it sounds like corruption would be a thing of the past ?

It won't, so can guarantee you right now there's acts of bribery and corruption taking place, it's just the way it is, the way it has been, and the way it will always be.

Just because no large or significant acts have been exposed didn't mean they're not happening. Don't forget the Junta already instructed journalists not to dig deep into certain people ? Why do you think that is?

I read some articles from Andrew Drummond yesterday about Military corruption, he might not be everyone's cup of tea, but people can read his stuff and make up their own minds, no matter his critics denials.

Corruption is a way of life in Thailand, to most they actually don't see anything wrong with it, but it's been around since the dawn of time, it wasn't invented nor introduced to Thailand by single person, it's always been there, just the levels of it were more exposed.

Corruption is like a virus, you can't see it,but you know it's there's, and you know it's eventually going to surface as something not so pleasant.

Corruption bleeds a country and there is plenty of evidence. The most developed countries have the least corruption according to Transparency International while the poorer developing on undeveloped countries have the highest corruption.

So ... where does Thailand, as a nation, want to be?

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It won't, so can guarantee you right now there's acts of bribery and corruption taking place, it's just the way it is, the way it has been, and the way it will always be.

Just because no large or significant acts have been exposed didn't mean they're not happening. Don't forget the Junta already instructed journalists not to dig deep into certain people ? Why do you think that is?

I read some articles from Andrew Drummond yesterday about Military corruption, he might not be everyone's cup of tea, but people can read his stuff and make up their own minds, no matter his critics denials.

Corruption is a way of life in Thailand, to most they actually don't see anything wrong with it, but it's been around since the dawn of time, it wasn't invented nor introduced to Thailand by single person, it's always been there, just the levels of it were more exposed.

Corruption is like a virus, you can't see it,but you know it's there's, and you know it's eventually going to surface as something not so pleasant.

........................."democracy with widespread corruption?"...........................

I don't think there is such a thing as democracy with corruption, I believe the corruption cancels out the concept of democracy.

This applies to every form of government I have experienced in the 10 years I have spent in Thailand.

Which is why I cannot help but laugh at the feeble attempts of some posters who try to convince us that we have been living under a democracy, at any time in the recent past.

Bulldust ! You are dreaming. Democracy has become something you use to make the past and present governments look bad, that is all.

Since I realized this fact, and accepted it, I have enjoyed being part of the Thai experience just that bit more.

Still, I am amused and entertained by my fellow members on TVF no matter what their political views. Especially you Fatty. clap2.gif

........................."democracy with widespread corruption?"...........................

I don't think there is such a thing as democracy with corruption, I believe the corruption cancels out the concept of democracy.

This applies to every form of government I have experienced in the 10 years I have spent in Thailand.

Which is why I cannot help but laugh at the feeble attempts of some posters who try to convince us that we have been living under a democracy, at any time in the recent past.

Bulldust ! You are dreaming. Democracy has become something you use to make the past and present governments look bad, that is all.

Since I realized this fact, and accepted it, I have enjoyed being part of the Thai experience just that bit more.

Still, I am amused and entertained by my fellow members on TVF no matter what their political views. Especially you Fatty. clap2.gif

So according to you democracy don't exist ? As there are no country without corruption, there are no country with a democracy ? In a real democracy the government and its people recognise that there is corruption, they implement policies and create structure to prevent and combat it. They refrain from participating in it and blow the whistle when they encounter it. The problem in Thailand is that the civil service are corrupt (police, army and courts to a certain extend), this can be seen by the court cases after the demise of the last elected government. Not one serving politician has been brought before the courts on corruption charges (including YS) but many civil servants have. When the politicians and civil servants become corrupt you have a failed state.

I'm a little confused your opening quote? It Was not anywhere in my post, and I touched more on the corruption and didn't really mention democracy at all.

I think you might have got the post within mine by Trogers mixed up with mine Mick 55555

Thais should not try to write clever English : they do not have the wit and come across as someone who thinks they are very clever proving that they aren't.

We get enough of that with that red-shirt Kong and his semi-legible bizarre rants in Bangkok Post (with what I'm sure he thinks are cleverly inserted bits of propaganda spread liberally around) : please don't let other people start trying it.

In the alphabet C always comes before D. If democracy comes it has to be a managed democracy not a free wheeling one.

Oh dear oh dear. And quite how many multi USD millionaire soldiers are there in the back of their less than 100k baht per year salaries?

So according to you democracy don't exist ? As there are no country without corruption, there are no country with a democracy ? In a real democracy the government and its people recognise that there is corruption, they implement policies and create structure to prevent and combat it. They refrain from participating in it and blow the whistle when they encounter it. The problem in Thailand is that the civil service are corrupt (police, army and courts to a certain extend), this can be seen by the court cases after the demise of the last elected government. Not one serving politician has been brought before the courts on corruption charges (including YS) but many civil servants have. When the politicians and civil servants become corrupt you have a failed state.

And at least the people got to choose their type of corrupt leaders. No system is immune to corruption. Look at china hanging politburo members.

But democracy has a better chance of removing corruption from the system.

I'm a little confused your opening quote? It Was not anywhere in my post, and I touched more on the corruption and didn't really mention democracy at all.

I think you might have got the post within mine by Trogers mixed up with mine Mick 55555

You are right in that I used a quote from troger's comment while replying to you.

My mistake, and I apologize while putting the blame squarely on the effect of the painkillers that I am taking, but will be more careful in future.

Ignoring my massive indiscretion my comment could apply to people in general, and not just you Fatty.

I was a bit surprised to read that you have been reading Andrew Drummond, I find anything written by him to be biased, one-eyed red propaganda.

Anyway, sorry again about my mistake, will be more careful in future.

I cannot believe there are people out there who are still clinging to the feeble line - "But, but PTP were voted in by the people in free and fair democratic elections blah blah blah.........................."

For a start free and fair elections do not include blatant vote buying, so that argument is null and void. That goes for the Democrats as well, they are just as guilty, but two wrongs do not make a right.

And even if in your wildest dreams the elections were fair that does not mean that once the party is in power they can break every rule in the book as far as being "democratic" goes. The rushing of the amnesty bill through in the middle of the night only to have it blocked by the Senate comes to mind, and there were many other "undemocratic" examples of bad governance.

These metaphorical conversations by Kuhn Tabtim are similar to the clips of failed auditions to talent shows. There so bad it's entertaining.

Funny you should say that! Halfway through I am thinking we have the basis for a stage play here.

Throw in some Shakespeare and get the travelling LeGay troupe to perform like they never performed before. rolleyes.gif

I cannot believe there are people out there who are still clinging to the feeble line - "But, but PTP were voted in by the people in free and fair democratic elections blah blah blah.........................."

For a start free and fair elections do not include blatant vote buying, so that argument is null and void. That goes for the Democrats as well, they are just as guilty, but two wrongs do not make a right.

And even if in your wildest dreams the elections were fair that does not mean that once the party is in power they can break every rule in the book as far as being "democratic" goes. The rushing of the amnesty bill through in the middle of the night only to have it blocked by the Senate comes to mind, and there were many other "undemocratic" examples of bad governance.

You seem to have missed or overlooked the information about the 2011 elections... http://www.voanews.com/content/asian-observer-group-commends-thai-election-cites-minor-flaws--125003034/141777.html

As for doing stupid things like the amnesty bill, there was nothing undemocratic about it. It was just stupid.

And bad governance is not undemocratic... It's just bad governance.

Just like corruption is not undemocratic, ... it's just illegal.

Corruption bleeds a country and there is plenty of evidence. The most developed countries have the least corruption according to Transparency International while the poorer developing on undeveloped countries have the highest corruption.

AMEN.

Might I add there is absolutely NO democracy WITHOUT RULE OF LAW.

mikemac, on 18 Jun 2015 - 08:28, said:snapback.png

tbthailand Posted Today, 05:41

You seem to have missed or overlooked the information about the 2011 elections... http://www.voanews.c...034/141777.html

As for doing stupid things like the amnesty bill, there was nothing undemocratic about it. It was just stupid.

And bad governance is not undemocratic... It's just bad governance.

Just like corruption is not undemocratic, ... it's just illegal.

Actually I have already read the article on that website that you posted a link to, it has been quoted on this forum before.

A couple of lines caught my attention, like this one -

"But, the Asian Network for Free Elections also cited some flaws in the polls and warned the Thai military not to intervene in politics."

Hilarious ! Considering what the Military ended up doing, launching a coup and appointing the General PM and a year later elections are still a million dollar question.

Talk about not intervening in politics ! Perhaps the Asian Network for Free Elections can warn the Military that for the good of the country they should return to their barracks and arrange for elections to be held.

Another one was this paragraph -

"ANFREL issued a statement Tuesday noting there were some flaws in the election, including cases of violence, intimidation and vote-buying that it urged authorities to handle appropriately. But it said there were no major incidents that would call into question the results."

"some flaws in the election" indeed ! I personally know people who admitted to receiving money for their vote, and they voted for PTP because they offered the most money. They said they would have voted for the other party if they offered more money. These same people said they looked forward to the elections simply because of the money they made for doing very little. I know some people do not believe there is such a thing as vote buying but even ANFREL reported on it happening.

And I have heard it from the horses mouth. Why would they lie about something like this ?

I don't know anything about the violence and intimidation but I have heard about incidents of Opposition parties being threatened and harassed in redshirt areas.

Not sure what ANFREL would consider a "major incident" that would "call into question the results." thumbsup.gif

Trying to rush through the Amnesty Bill in the middle of the night was more than just stupid, it was catastrophic and was one of the major reasons the people protested against the government. Bad idea.

Bad government may not necessarily be undemocratic but in this case it was both.

And if you look up the definition of democracy I don't think you will find the word "corrupt" anywhere.

I have to be honest with you tb, I don't know your reasons for defending these bent and corrupt criminals but I am glad it is you and not me.

I am not defending the alternatives, I have suggested banning the Shin related parties and anyone associated with them, as well as the Democrats and starting again with a clean slate. There are plenty of other parties out there. biggrin.png

AMEN.

Might I add there is absolutely NO democracy WITHOUT RULE OF LAW.

Where's the law that forces politicians to keep their promises?

The main problem I see with corrupt officials, is indolence, a lack of respect for the people they "serve" and an extreme ineptitude to perform even the simplest of tasks. I could not send a broken ssd to Taiwan, because the post master said it was a battery. There is no hope when these offices are managed by stupid fools who know so little about everything.

The main problem I see with corrupt officials, is indolence, a lack of respect for the people they "serve" and an extreme ineptitude to perform even the simplest of tasks. I could not send a broken ssd to Taiwan, because the post master said it was a battery. There is no hope when these offices are managed by stupid fools who know so little about everything.

I had the same problem with the Postmaster at my local PO in Chiang Mai. I sent a package to the UK which went missing.

He said he tracked the package and he could prove it had left Thailand. I told him I had paid the PO 4,000 baht to send it to the UK, NOT TO SEND IT OUT OF BLOODY THAILAND !

I harassed that poor basket for 12 months and never did get compensated for my loss. Needless to say I have never sent anything with the PO again.

Before the Prayut coup, democracy in Thailand was NEVER EVIDENT.

These metaphorical conversations by Kuhn Tabtim are similar to the clips of failed auditions to talent shows. There so bad it's entertaining.

You actually made it to the end? Mister, you're a better man than I...

I am intrigued by the complaints about the "amnesty bill". In the US, there are often complaints about the US Congress when it uses various procedural tricks that allow the majority party to "ram through" legislation. This is considered a perk of being the majority. 3am votes can happen, which may be boycotted by the minority.

The amnesty bill in Thailand was passed in an irregular fashion, but it never had a chance of becoming law. The Senate opposed it, the courts would have voided it, and there was significant public opposition. It seems to me that the checks and balances of a (somewhat) democratic government did come into play with the amnesty bill...and so did the PM, Yingluck, as she quickly repudiated the bill after opposition was clear.

How was this not a "triumph" of democracy?

You actually made it to the end? Mister, you're a better man than I...
I bet an evening with him over a couple of pints must be a laugh a minute.

" A bottle of Johnnie Walker Red came home from school and was talking to his father the bottle of Johnnie Walker Black about the meaning of democracy. "I'm confused father.My teacher was confabulating about the ( insert thesaurus word of your choice here) meaning of democracy. He said that in Thailand democracy is in a state of ( insert high brow word here to show how clever you are when there are a million words more appropriate but don't show your superior intellect) etc. etc ad nauseum"

Edited by mca